£ v NZ$

Old Jan 12th 2015, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: £ v NZ$

Definitely not an easy or quick win kind of exercise.

To make serious money off of it you'd need hundreds of thousands or more and if that was ones main investment pool then I'd suggest they invest that elsewhere.

My projections are starting with $20k and maybe making $2k to $3k on it in the first year - so it's hardly going to lead to early retirement

But as I say, that's a better rate than any fixed rate bond for $20k for 12 months and frankly more fun!
Old Jan 12th 2015, 8:22 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck

To make serious money off of it you'd need hundreds of thousands or more and if that was ones main investment pool then I'd suggest they invest that elsewhere.

My projections are starting with $20k and maybe making $2k to $3k on it in the first year - so it's hardly going to lead to early retirement

But as I say, that's a better rate than any fixed rate bond for $20k for 12 months and frankly more fun!
That's what got me started. I hope to make more than the .5% interest I'm earning on my GBP savings right now. The rest is a bonus!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I assume it the announcement of today's plans to prune interest rate has meant that the dollar has moved backwards in the past week.

If it gets there and depending on how it's doing at the time I'm going to transfer some £'s into 4's at $2.04-$2.05 / 48.78p - 49.02p.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

NooZeeCalling is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how "failure" in this is quantified?
"Failure" in trading is easily quantifiable - either you make money, you lose money or you break even. There is no "he/she's a good trader" if it doesn't reflect in the P/L. Unlike something qualitative, where someone can be an excellent writer, actor or singer, but not be making any money out of it, trading success/failure is purely quantitative.

If people are moving physical money and are worried about exchange rate fluctuations, then it is possible to hedge this by taking an options position or just buying/selling futures against the 'physical' trade they have done.

Trading forex is purely speculative, and should not be confused with 'investment' of any sort. When starting out, one of the first questions to ask yourself is about margin. Margin is required for futures positions, and reflects the level of risk associated with the trade. Unlike stocks where if you buy at $100 and it goes to 0 you lose $100, when trading futures there is unlimited loss - you are buying/selling a margined position, which differs from buying a share in a company. There is good money to be made in forex trading, but traders have to learn how to manage their risk and how to get out of bad trades - remember, it's easy to put on a good trade, it's how you get out of your bad trades that defines whether you make money or not!

Oh, and I know I haven't introduced myself, but I will, promise
Best to everyone and thank you for a very informative forum.
C
Old Jan 15th 2015, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

have to say we played the exchange rate game pretty well, got a good amount of GBP for our NZD when we went back!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 8:34 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
have to say we played the exchange rate game pretty well, got a good amount of GBP for our NZD when we went back!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:54 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

People should be aware of the risks of forex. Huge losses today via some brokers (one gone bust, more to follow?). Most brokers have suspended trading in the Swiss Franc. Exciting stuff to watch from the sidelines if you haven't lost the shirt off your back:

Swiss National Bank abandons EUR/CHF 1.20 floor - 7 storylines | ForexLive
Old Jan 16th 2015, 12:11 am
Just Joined

jambrose992 is an unknown quantity at this point

with losses, there are always those making money, there were also alot of winners yesterday!
Old Jan 21st 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NooZeeCalling
Trading forex is purely speculative, and should not be confused with 'investment' of any sort.

Thanks for your post.

I particularly enjoyed the aforementioned sentence above.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Get your money transferred in 2p's
Attached Thumbnails £ v NZ$-2p.jpg  
Old Jan 31st 2015, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

1 gbp is 2.08 nzd at moment.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
1 gbp is 2.08 nzd at moment.
Yeah, I cashed up some NZD's while I was in the UK during the last week of January.

Pretty handy I was there so I could just walk into Natwest and sign the money over, rather than doing it piecemeal over the internet.

What's more it's all worked out well because we won a house at auction yesterday, so all very good timing!!

Further to that we don't need to settle until on or before the 28th of May, so might sit on it for a bit while the interest rates drop.

Good times!
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I cashed up some NZD's while I was in the UK during the last week of January.

Pretty handy I was there so I could just walk into Natwest and sign the money over, rather than doing it piecemeal over the internet.

What's more it's all worked out well because we won a house at auction yesterday, so all very good timing!!

Further to that we don't need to settle until on or before the 28th of May, so might sit on it for a bit while the interest rates drop.

Good times!
Congrats on the house!!!