Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

$4000 dollar bond....

$4000 dollar bond....

Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $4000 dollar bond....

Originally Posted by scottishlad
It is the essential skills visa, I already have had the job offer and documents sent to me, haven't sent away yet as I still have a medical to do. If it is tied to the one job then why do they need a bond to stop me moving to another company?
Your visa will allow you to work in that job for that employer. It doesn't allow you to work for any employer.
If you leave that job to find another your visa will no longer be valid, you have to apply to vary the conditions or for a new work visa depending on circumstances.
http://http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigr...base/item/1187
http://http://www.immigration.govt.n...226B1BAFB2.htm

The bond is due to the company. You can change but you have to alter/redo your visa. I suppose they think it will keep employees loyal-I can think of better ways of doing this
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

scottishlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Persephone
Your visa will allow you to work in that job for that employer. It doesn't allow you to work for any employer.
If you leave that job to find another your visa will no longer be valid, you have to apply to vary the conditions or for a new work visa depending on circumstances.
http://http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigr...base/item/1187
http://http://www.immigration.govt.n...226B1BAFB2.htm

The bond is due to the company. You can change but you have to alter/redo your visa. I suppose they think it will keep employees loyal-I can think of better ways of doing this
So I could change but would have to pay $4000 and alter my visa?
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

So I could change but would have to pay $4000 and alter my visa?
If the company insists on the bond and you're not willing to challenge it, then yes. That's if you can challenge it...
Also if you change employers then they would still have to adhere to the criteria for a work visa to be issued. Such as being on one of the skills shortage lists or being able to prove no NZer is available to do the job. It can't be any job.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

If the company insists on the bond and you're not willing to challenge it, then yes. That's if you can challenge it...
Also if you change employers then they would still have to adhere to the criteria for a work visa to be issued. Such as being on one of the skills shortage lists or being able to prove no NZer is available to do the job. It can't be any job.
Well I obviously wouldn't be too happy about being forced to pay 4000K to leave a company so I would do anything I could to avoid paying.

The only work I would be doing is carpentry so wouldn't be an issue with visa change I would imagine.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

How old are you? Are you eligable for a WHV?

This would give you the option to come and work/job seek without being restricted to a specific employer - you could then adjust your visa while your here.

Kinda what I did although I had no real plan.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gazmac
How old are you? Are you eligable for a WHV?

This would give you the option to come and work/job seek without being restricted to a specific employer - you could then adjust your visa while your here.

Kinda what I did although I had no real plan.
Im 24 mate, the other company who want me to go over would be on a WHV so im thinking this might be the better option. Means im not really tied into anything as like you, I have no plan or time scale for how long I want to be there... I have no ties so want to see a bit of the world and go with the flow!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Well I obviously wouldn't be too happy about being forced to pay 4000K to leave a company so I would do anything I could to avoid paying.

The only work I would be doing is carpentry so wouldn't be an issue with visa change I would imagine.
I probably wouldn't agree to the contract to start with but that's my opinion
Carpenter is on the Canterbury skills shortage list only, so no problem if the job is in Canterbury. If it's in another region then the employer would have to prove why no NZer was available to do the job.

The WHV is a good option if you don't want to be tied down
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Id be more inclined to go for the WHV this way you have more flexibility and control over your movements.

If travelling is your plan dont limit yourself to your trade - This can always be someting to fall back on. I worked in Kiwifruit here in NZ before I looked for a permanent job.

In Aussie I did a range of things from delivering pizza to planting lettuce and other agricultural work also on a WHV at 24 the worlds your oyster,

My mate teaches English in Bangkok and he's from Dundee - he did his TEFL course over there while backpacking I imagine a whole host of Thai kids speaking english with a Dundonian accent.

There are option for work and travel without the need to restrict yourself to one employer/location/country.

Just a thought.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

I probably wouldn't agree to the contract to start with but that's my opinion
Carpenter is on the Canterbury skills shortage list only, so no problem if the job is in Canterbury. If it's in another region then the employer would have to prove why no NZer was available to do the job.

The WHV is a good option if you don't want to be tied down
Thank you, appreciated! Been thinking a lot about this so any second opinion and advice is brilliant!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gazmac
Id be more inclined to go for the WHV this way you have more flexibility and control over your movements.

If travelling is your plan dont limit yourself to your trade - This can always be someting to fall back on. I worked in Kiwifruit here in NZ before I looked for a permanent job.

In Aussie I did a range of things from delivering pizza to planting lettuce and other agricultural work also on a WHV at 24 the worlds your oyster,

My mate teaches English in Bangkok and he's from Dundee - he did his TEFL course over there while backpacking I imagine a whole host of Thai kids speaking english with a Dundonian accent.

There are option for work and travel without the need to restrict yourself to one employer/location/country.

Just a thought.
It is starting to lean that way mate. I would like to stay in NZ for a year or so but like I said, who knows what might happen?

Ideally I would like to travel but at the same time work, obviously being a carpenter helps as the money is usually half decent. I definitely want to try OZ and would like to try Canada as well, got a few friends in Canada and the money is great.

haha poor kids lol! Hope he doesn't support any the football teams from Dundee and passing that on either!

Asia would be good for doing the whole backpacking thing and would love that at some point as well!
Like you says tho, got time on my side and the world is my oyster!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

He's an die hard Arab. No ones perfect.

I really love Asia, but not Thailand and would definately reccommend a few months in that part of the world.

Ive never been to canada and its never appealed to me but those who have seem to love it there, My old dears neighbours who I think is about my age (30+) spent some time working there and is now in CHCH he incidentally is also a chippy. So it can be done.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

It all sounds a bit dodgy, Iv,e been in the building game for years and never heard of it I can understand them wanting the costs of the flight back but if there not paying that then tell them to piss off
PM me the name of the company I can soon find out if there cowboys

Neil
Old Jan 20th 2014, 4:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It sounds more that dodgy doesn't it .

Obviously you, Scottishlad , won't be touching that pile of crud with a barge pole. Like Jan n Neil I would be pleased to quietly know more details via PM if you have the time.

As a qualified chippy you should be able to find plenty of quality offers of work down in the Canterbury region.

At your age though, I'm with Gazmac. Get yourself a WHV. Start with a one year and then extend if you feel like it. You could still work as a chippy for up to a year ... and be free to do so.

After that , if you felt an urge to stay and found yourself in a job you enjoyed, then you could look at an essential skill temp work permit .

Just be aware that if you are outside of the Canterbury region and you were wanting to work as a carpenter (after WHV time), then that employer would need to prove there was no NZ resident or citizen that could take that job.