Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Where to live: Amsterdam or Utrecht?

Where to live: Amsterdam or Utrecht?

Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Katie_G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live: Amsterdam or Utrecht?

Dear All,

I have just accepted a job in Bilthoven and will be moving within the next month - I need to start house hunting! I am torn between living in Utrecht, much closer to work, and Amsterdam, probably at least an hour commute to work.

I am thinking it may make more sense to be based in Utrecht but I am in my mid-twenties and have no idea what the city has to offer. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Katie
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live: Amsterdam or Utrecht?

Although I have never been to Utrecht, I've just checked on the train site and it is between 27 - 30 minutes depending which train you jump on. (this is based on travelling from A'dam Centraal to Utrecht Centraal) Not sure about car driving.. maybe it is an hour with traffic? Though I don't know why people drive over there.. transport system is fantastic. there is no need.

I would guess that Utrecht is slightly cheaper. I know A'dam accommodation prices are sky high. But others will be able to advise I am sure. Good luck

Mish
Old Aug 21st 2008, 8:02 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

The two cities are very different and it does really depend on your preferences.
If you only have less then a month then you had better get going as you will have to find a place sign documents etc etc.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:06 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Katie_G
Dear All,

I have just accepted a job in Bilthoven and will be moving within the next month - I need to start house hunting! I am torn between living in Utrecht, much closer to work, and Amsterdam, probably at least an hour commute to work.

I am thinking it may make more sense to be based in Utrecht but I am in my mid-twenties and have no idea what the city has to offer. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Katie
Hi Katie,

Hmmm... mid-twenties? And you don't mind the traveling time to and from work? I'd go for Amsterdam. By far the better choice the Utrecht.

Dutchie
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Lucid is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't agree with Dutchie. Utrecht is the perfect city to live in. First of all, it is one of the biggest cities of The Netherlands, with quiet area's and very urbanized area's. Because it is in the centre of The Netherlands it is a real student city with tons of young people. There are a lot of cultural activities and everything you need is in the neighborhood, because the city centre of Utrecht is comparatively small. And if you want to have fun in Amsterdam it just takes 30 minutes by train.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Sportone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Katie,
I've just moved from London to Utrecht.... i was told its one of the best places to live. cheaper than amsterdam, abit less in your face and just as exciting. But amsterdam is only 30mins away on the train so nights out there partying are still very much an option.

I'm 24 and probably have similar kind of wants from a city. I'm pretty sure you'll find everything you need in utrecht. very friendly place.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Kynk is an unknown quantity at this point

My answer from the Commuting post:

Originally Posted by Kynk
I lived in Amsterdam for 3 months but I much prefer Utrecht. I pay slightly less than Amsterdam prices for my apartment in centrum but to me, there's no contest. And if I want bright light city I can get there and back any time day or night.

During the daytime, there's trains to Amsterdam every 15mins and if you're coming out of a club at the crack of dawn, at least every hour. Ideal

Not sure what kind of a party animal you are but for me it was important to live in a city where the transport connections were great. Utrecht never really sleeps and it's practically in the middle of the country. I can trek it to a party in the middle of nowhere and still get home on a Sunday..

Hope this helps
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

ParaGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to rent a house in Holland, Utrecht is a lot cheaper. The average prices in Utrecht are around 900 and 1300 euro a month. In Amsterdam it’s around 1400 a 2000 euro a month (if you're lucky). The price is based on an apartment of 100 m2.

You could check these links: Utrecht & Amsterdam for rental properties in Holland. (website is in English)

I live in Amstelveen, it’s a city near Amsterdam. It’s a lot cheaper to live and I’m within 25 minutes in Amsterdam.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Location: Living and working in RAK and wondering where all the nice single men are!
crazyorangeone is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Where to live: Amsterdam or Utrecht?

Katie,

I've recently moved to Amsterdam, its a great city but renting alone is very difficult.... I've only in the last month decided to look for a flat mate. I have a 2 bed appartment in Amsterdam just round the corner from Vondelpark. If your intersted in possibly sharing with me, email me: <<snip>>

I'm 27 and a secondary teacher at the British School.

Hope to hear from you soon

Melissa

Last edited by Sue; Oct 24th 2008 at 4:48 pm. Reason: email address removed for privacy, best to share private info via the private message system
Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

I would choose Utrecht, it is not far from most places in southern Holland. Amsterdam is an amazing town but I wouldnt want to live there.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:23 pm
4np
Just Joined

4np is an unknown quantity at this point

Utrecht, of course Nah just kidding. I really enjoy Utrecht, and commuting to Amsterdam is easy. I used to work at the Rembrandtplein and live in Utrecht and it was about 50 minutes door to door. Not too bad It depends what you like, Amsterdam is more busy, Utrecht has the charms of an old city and is very lively as well due to the fact the country's largest University is in Utrecht. The canals have 'werfkelders' which are unique in Holland; basements at the water level in which many restaurants are housed. I tend to say that Utrecht is a smaller and less busy version of Amsterdam. And if you want to go out in Amsterdam, a night train service always gets you back to Utrecht again

Am I biased? Probably