British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/)
-   -   warmest and driest city in the Netherlands? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/warmest-driest-city-netherlands-884535/)

Rosemary May 9th 2017 9:15 am

Re: warmest and driest city in the Netherlands?

Originally Posted by old wanderer (Post 12248358)
Well Philp 1 As I said in my last comment just pack up and go back to where you came from. It must be so much better there, living with barbed wire fences surrounding people houses and all the racial problems. A good friend of mine worked there and another guy I worked with, a South African from Johannesburg, told about how life was in the country. Great weather and countryside but lots of problems. Again, why do people come on these websites just to moan, just looking for sympathy?

Please read the Site Rules about treating other posters with respect. None of us know other members history or circumstances so need to post accordingly.

Rosemary

Philp1 Jun 10th 2017 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by old wanderer (Post 12248358)
Well Philp 1 As I said in my last comment just pack up and go back to where you came from. It must be so much better there, living with barbed wire fences surrounding people houses and all the racial problems. A good friend of mine worked there and another guy I worked with, a South African from Johannesburg, told about how life was in the country. Great weather and countryside but lots of problems. Again, why do people come on these websites just to moan, just looking for sympathy?

Well as previous peiple also replied to you

We dont have that much money to just say ok we pack and go
We have kids
And what they gave up now already they must just finish studies to have something before we can leave (was enormous cost to het them this far and they lost year of lives too, we think as family)
So we have to stay till that done(studie)
I am not alone so cant pack and go like a traveler in search

Yes
SA is bit unstable
But it is still better in many ways
The last over 12 years there we were fine, yes we had a alarm system etc
But we enjoyed life
We could live
We were free
We did things that is impossible here as just too damn expensive impossible
Here you are controlled
Mostly due to taxes and ways restricting what you want to do making it only for the super rich
You must do here a routine controlled by government (you wont think so, but google a bit on youtube and think in detail, you will see what i mean)
O and my daughter was robbed here already, so ....
Yes as i already told you
When kids done and my work done here
Then we will leave with a smile
So stop saying it responsibilities for family now first
We looked to leave but not financially possible after we invested a massive lot here
Well it is now 3 years 2 months and counting then gone so dont worry we going

Secondly
Looking at what is happening in europe
Withing few years i think the same will happen here regarding safety
So i dont think people will be any better of here
Its happening in uk france germany etc
Everyone is talking about a war here in europe soon due to the mass immigration
SA is now at low point but here it is still coming, then it Will be mostly done there and better
So then even worse, no safety also
So as soon as our responsibilities done then bye bye
And not to Johannesburg, that is the bad part to be anyway

And we dont moan we say how we feel of our choices and how we see it
So others can also know to not make this mistake
We really thought we could adapt
But as others also said
We battle to make friends
The guys at work like me as i help them more and better than their own dutch coleages
so they all ask me for help
Nice feeling
What does that tell you...not me being an idiot
We dont really believe in having work people as friends as not always good for work relations
We know our nabours by seeing and greeting and that is about it

with responsibilities it is not as easy as pack and go
Too many things that now must be done (study work etc)
Otherwise we would have been back already

A family member visited us now from SA due to a meeting
We asked after here if also will live here
Answer was looking against SA
No
They will be Staying there

We came here by too little info
If we had more info on this then we never would have come
This can help future people thinking of coming
Just think twice

netherlandsexpat Jun 11th 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Philp1 (Post 12270171)

Well it is now 3 years 2 months and counting then gone so dont worry we going
[...]
We came here by too little info
If we had more info on this then we never would have come
This can help future people thinking of coming
Just think twice

Hi Phillp1, the time in NL is not wasted time! If you stay at least 5 years, you become eligible to apply for EU permanent resident (long-term resident). In NL this is called the status EU langdurig ingezetene.

Once you get this permit you can easily move to any other EU country without having to compete for jobs as a regular immigrant (you will be on equal footing with the locals as employers won't have to show they can't find a EU citizen for the job). 3 countries are not part of this scheme though: UK, Ireland, and Denmark. Denmark is like NL, maybe even worse, so not a place you want to go to anyway.

To get this permit you need to do integration (inburgering), which consists of 5 exams and a job search portfolio. This should be done as soon as possible as it can take months to get appointments and results.

Here is the NL immigration website for that permit application: https://ind.nl/Paginas/EU-langdurig-ingezetene.aspx

I understand what you mean that gov guides everyone to lead the same life. It is a very homogeneous country, not sure imo if it's a product of gov social engineering or just the culture. It's part of what makes it a very boring place imo.

I submitted by application recently and am awaiting the decision (they have to make it within 6 months), once it's granted I'm outta here!