Vegetarian in the Netherlands

Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Jamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vegetarian in the Netherlands

As per my car-related thread, I'm starting work in Veldhoven next month and looking forward to it!

I'm vegetarian and wondering how I'll get on with that in NL. Is vegetarianism fairly common there? Will restaurants offer a few veggie options similar to the UK? Does food packaging in supermarkets have V symbols or similar to indicate things which are veggie as that would be very helpful while my Dutch is non-existent to patchy (I intend to learn though!)

My experiences of travelling Europe as a veggie have been varied. In my experience France is dreadful for understanding vegetarianism generally, Spain is mostly pretty much as good as the UK except they're missing the V symbols in supermarkets, Estonia was pretty good but I didnt venture from the capital Tallinn. So where does NL fit in?

Cheers,

Ben
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:06 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetarian in the Netherlands

Originally Posted by Jamp
As per my car-related thread, I'm starting work in Veldhoven next month and looking forward to it!

I'm vegetarian and wondering how I'll get on with that in NL. Is vegetarianism fairly common there? Will restaurants offer a few veggie options similar to the UK? Does food packaging in supermarkets have V symbols or similar to indicate things which are veggie as that would be very helpful while my Dutch is non-existent to patchy (I intend to learn though!)

My experiences of travelling Europe as a veggie have been varied. In my experience France is dreadful for understanding vegetarianism generally, Spain is mostly pretty much as good as the UK except they're missing the V symbols in supermarkets, Estonia was pretty good but I didnt venture from the capital Tallinn. So where does NL fit in?

Cheers,

Ben
Being a meat lover (sorry) I cant help with the exact details, but I do know that in almost all resaurants, you will find a number of vegetarian dishes, and in all supermarkets, everything is labelled pretty much the same as in the UK .

I know quite a few vegetarians, and have never heard real complaints about the general Dutch mentality regarding vegetarian diets.

Paul