Used Cars

Old Oct 19th 2016, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Used Cars

Anybody know of any good websites for used cars in Holland ?

What paperwork/documents are needed from me to buy a car ?

What paperwork should come with the car ? M.o.t equivalent, log book, road tax, service book etc. Somebody mentioned a faktuur?

What paperwork is needed to export a car out of Holland ?

And what is the best way to hpi check a car in Holland ?

Any information welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used Cars

My information may not be current as it's been a while since I owned a car in Holland.

IMO - cars in Holland are expensive; many people buy one in Germany and import it. I wouldn't recommend buying a diesel unless you drive a lot of miles - the fuel is cheap, but the tax on the car was horrendous. Also, annual tax on the car is based on emissions, weight and engine size, so if you like a big car, be prepared to pay for it.

I brought my car with me from Germany, I just booked it for a Dutch MOT, it passed, I signed a few forms, paid the tax and a few days later the log book turned up in the post.

If you buy a car from a dealer, you won't get any finance deal till you've worked there for at least 12-months and have a job with a contract. Most dealers de-register the car when they get it, so it will get a new number/log-book when you buy it.

Most people I know buy their 2nd hand cars from adverts in the local press.

A "faktuur" is a bill or an invoice.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Marktplaats.nl is a big website if you're looking for private sales. Otherwise google auto occasion (car secondhand) to produce a string of results. This country is ludicrously expensive to buy a car in, as Cynic says. Because of this, people keep their cars for longer, they don't depreciate in price so second hand vehicles keep their value. As per the UK, a service book isn't mandatory but more likely from a main dealer than a small operation because some people have regular services on their vehicle and some don't.

Paperwork: if you buy from a main (or large occasion/2nd hand) dealer, they take care of it: registering it online with the RDW/equivalent of the DVLA. With a private sale or a small dealer, the paperwork is done at the post office - so don't buy on a Sunday or out of hours! The admin fee is about 11 euros in both cases. Road tax is charged by the taxman (Belastingdienst) and your bill will arrive every 3 months for this: the seller will be able to tell you how much this will be for the car your interested in (I think you can look it up on the RDW website if you have the registration number here (in Dutch only)).

So on transfer of sale, you will receive an ownership paper from the seller or post office directly (with the number you need to change your insurance over), and the second part of your paperwork comes in the form of a walletsize plastic card which is mailed out from the RDW and arrives at your registered address a few days later. You need BOTH parts when you sell it, and either one or both when you take it for its MOT (APK).

I can't help on exporting a car: I imagine you follow the import requirements of the new country and they notify the RDW when it's reregistered?

You can find out some information here RDW information in English
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very helpful info. Thank you