Use UK mobile phone in NL

Old Apr 26th 2017, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

DanSteely is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Use UK mobile phone in NL

Hi All,

My daughter is at university in the UK and for her 3rd year has a 12 month placement in the Netherlands.

My question is regarding her mobile phone.

Would it make sense for her to continue using her UK phone number or for her to get a contract or pay as you go SIM in the NL - if so can are there any recommendations for providers.

Cost is the primary reason for the question.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Use UK mobile phone in NL

That question might be difficult to answer if it is not known how she uses the phone and what the charges are of the UK phone provider. Does she mainly use it for voice calls? Or for internet access? What does the UK provider charge for such usage outside the UK (e.g. when in the Netherlands)?
Old Apr 28th 2017, 7:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
That question might be difficult to answer if it is not known how she uses the phone and what the charges are of the UK phone provider. Does she mainly use it for voice calls? Or for internet access? What does the UK provider charge for such usage outside the UK (e.g. when in the Netherlands)?
I thought that UK companies were now charging the same as for roaming as for use in the UK. I thought this was an EU decision.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I thought that UK companies were now charging the same as for roaming as for use in the UK. I thought this was an EU decision.
Starts in June 2017; some operators have already started (depending on contract).
Old Apr 28th 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Source: AFP

Telephone roaming charges are to be totally abolished in the European Union as of June 15 2017, following a wholesale price agreement between operators, the final piece of reform carried out over ten years.

Under the agreement between the European institutions, approved by the European Parliament in Strasbourg, the promise, made by the Commission to great fanfare in 2015, of an EU without roaming charges, will become a reality.

"Europeans will no longer be in a state of shock when they receive their phone bill. Until now, they had been used to turning off their phones when they crossed a border," Commented Finnish MEP Miapetra Kumpula-Natri, rapporteur for the European Parliament.

From Mid-June, EU citizens will pay no more for making a call, sending an SMS or accessing the Internet in any other EU country, than that in which they live.

However, their "roaming" will always be at a cost for their operator, responsible for delivering the communication on a network other than its own.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
OK, that answers one of my questions. Without knowing what she currently pays in the UK is it still difficult to judge whether it would be better to buy a new SIM in the Netherlands.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best to buy a SIM Only contract in NL. The charges are significantly lower than UK companies and EU-Wide use more or less standard now. Being a student she will probably use data too, once again this is probably the best way to go to avoid large bills.

https://www.bellen.com/vergelijken/sim-only