Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:31 am
Just Joined

joanne77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

Hello, Im a newbie!!

Myself and my family will be moving to 'Den Haag', next year from the UK. Ive been doing a bit of research, and cant find much on food shopping. Just wondered if anyone could tell me, where I can get English food or is it all just pricey imports. Is there any uk supermarkets, with a different name, or is that wishful thinking!!!!! Thanks very much x
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:38 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK food/supermarkets in The Hague

What items are you looking for?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply,

Most things really.....especially English Teabags, butter, biscuits etc etc.

I really dont know anything. Can I pick up any branded items ie mcvities, heinz, jacobs, etc etc etc

Are the dutch supermarkets, much the same as the UK, with English information on the Dutch products? Sorry so many questions. I appreciate any information. Thankyou.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:33 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

You will be able to purchase lots of things either the same or very similar.
Here are some links to the more famous food stores. There are more but this is to give you a taster. (Pun intended).
http://webwinkel.ah.nl/
http://www.c1000.nl/
http://www.jumbosupermarkten.nl/
http://www.lidl.nl/nl/home.nsf/pages/i.home
http://www.superdeboer.nl/
http://www.aldi.nl/index.shtml

To answer your questions------English on packets? Sometimes yes but most of the time no. Reverse to what you find on English packets, most of the time just English but some times you will find other languages too.
Are they the same? Not really you will find that in general they are much smaller and there are located locally. These stores usually only have 3 or 4 tills. Most of the food stocked will be foreign to you but you will soon get used to using alternatives.
We will add that you will need to learn Dutch to help ease your day to day life. Like reading the packets or shop signs.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Thankyou so much, that was really kind to post those links. Ive been looking for this sort of thing for ages, with no success!!!!

Yes, I think I will definately need to learn some basic Dutch!!!!!

Thanks again, it was very much appreciated! x
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:13 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanne77
Thankyou so much, that was really kind to post those links. Ive been looking for this sort of thing for ages, with no success!!!!

Yes, I think I will definately need to learn some basic Dutch!!!!!

Thanks again, it was very much appreciated! x
Simple things like tea bags are everywhere, but finding one you like can take time (we used to buy 5 boxes of PG tips x240 every time we went back to the UK) other items are easily found in Holland.Some things just cant be found, but you will find alternatives.

Its far cheaper to "go Dutch" than constantly go for English style options.

My wife is Dutch & we now live in Australia, and we still splash out on Dutch specialities here, but we have adapted to the Australian type of shopping, and it does save a lot of money.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

nightrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry mate but pricey imports only,and english supermarkets,wishfull thinking also.There are a few things you can find but most of the good stuff doesnt exsist here....the things i miss the most..alpen museli,shredded wheat,propper sausage and bacon and the general choice of products just aint there,after 3 months shopping in digros you know everything they sell.nl beats uk hands down for loadsa stuff but supermarket shopping aint one.You`ve just gotta make the best of what you`ve got and stock up well on your favorite things when you go back home.Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks nightrider!!

To be honest that was what I was expecting to hear, is a shame though!!! Maybe it will be good for me to try different things!!

Can I ask, what is better about Holland?? Is it a better standard of living, are you happy there?? Sorry for such open questions. I know very little about it, and have no idea what to expect. I would be very grateful for your opinions and tips!!!

Thankyou. x
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:16 am

Personally we find Kinghtrider’s comments a bit curious.
In The Netherlands you will find loads of alternatives. You can purchase museli, you can find lots of different cereals and you can find bacon.
Yes sausages are different, but that is because it is not made of the same sort of recycled meat the U.K. ones are.
You ask what is better? First a little about us to give you some idea of where we come from.
Ian is English and Irene is Dutch. We now live in Galicia, Spain. You will find most things about the Dutch way of life better. Things like the health service, the trains, and people’s everyday courtesy.
If you have never lived aboard then you should not and cannot expect little Britain here. You will be very surprised and the difference and you should remain open minded or you will hate your time in any foreign country. Yes you will get frustrated about things at times. Mainly because you are not so used to the procedures etc.
In the end it is your choice is to assimilate or not.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by joanne77
Thanks nightrider!!

To be honest that was what I was expecting to hear, is a shame though!!! Maybe it will be good for me to try different things!!

Can I ask, what is better about Holland?? Is it a better standard of living, are you happy there?? Sorry for such open questions. I know very little about it, and have no idea what to expect. I would be very grateful for your opinions and tips!!!

Thankyou. x
No problem joanne77,im happy to give you my views on holland but it could be quite a long reply so I`d like to pm you if that`s ok coz some of my comments might enflame some people if posted on an open forum.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Personally we find Kinghtrider’s comments a bit curious.
In The Netherlands you will find loads of alternatives. You can purchase museli, you can find lots of different cereals and you can find bacon.
1.Choice of museli,horse oats or sugar coated plasticy clusters.Also the choice of ceriels is no way near as diverse as uk.The bacon is flavourless unless you buy ontbijtspek which tastes like its been smoked over burning car tyres.
Yes sausages are different, but that is because it is not made of the same sort of recycled meat the U.K. ones are.
2.Granted our sausages have a lower meat content50-65%in good ones and in nl its95-98% but thats coz you need rust+fat to give flavour+texture,Dutch sausages are solid compact meat and not for me.As for "recycled meat"it didnt know you could,like eat it,then poop it,then recycle it and eat it again?
You ask what is better? First a little about us to give you some idea of where we come from.
Ian is English and Irene is Dutch. We now live in Galicia, Spain. You will find most things about the Dutch way of life better. Things like the health service, the trains, and people’s everyday courtesy.
If you have never lived aboard then you should not and cannot expect little Britain here. You will be very surprised and the difference and you should remain open minded or you will hate your time in any foreign country. Yes you will get frustrated about things at times. Mainly because you are not so used to the procedures etc.
In the end it is your choice is to assimilate or not.
3.This last bit I totally agree with,I find the general atmoshpere here friendly and comfortable.Theres a lot less displayed aggression than where I come from and people generaly deal with each other in a nice manner,and that includes all the nationalities here.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:49 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightrider
Sorry mate but pricey imports only,and english supermarkets,wishfull thinking also.There are a few things you can find but most of the good stuff doesnt exsist here....the things i miss the most..alpen museli,shredded wheat,propper sausage and bacon and the general choice of products just aint there,after 3 months shopping in digros you know everything they sell.nl beats uk hands down for loadsa stuff but supermarket shopping aint one.You`ve just gotta make the best of what you`ve got and stock up well on your favorite things when you go back home.Good luck.
jeez...you make it sound like Holland is some 3rd world country...
isn't part of the fun of living in a foreign country finding new stuff, which can be as good or even better...albeit maybe not the same...
if you are not open for change, living abroad is not going to be a nice experience...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
isn't part of the fun of living in a foreign country finding new stuff, which can be as good or even better...albeit maybe not the same...
if you are not open for change, living abroad is not going to be a nice experience...
And local stuff is so much cheaper and fresher. ;-)
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:39 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
And local stuff is so much cheaper and fresher. ;-)
absolutely...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
Oh its been a good experience,I`m still here after 12years and I hear what you`re saying,trying all new types of food you`ve never had before is great.I haven`t spent all my time here grumbly about whats not in the supermarket!All I said was there`s things I miss from uk and the choice isnt as big.That`s why I said earlier make the most of what`s here and stock up on your favorite things when visiting uk.One last thing though,uk supermarkets are better than nl supermarkets that`s a fact.
Yeah the markets beat the supermarkets for quality fresh stuff for sure.

Last edited by nightrider; Nov 18th 2008 at 12:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.