Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

SOS. Trying to find somewhere to live in Amsterdam

SOS. Trying to find somewhere to live in Amsterdam

Old Sep 7th 2015, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

jack.b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SOS. Trying to find somewhere to live in Amsterdam

Hi all,

My name is Jack (25), from Brighton, UK and starting an internship in Digital Marketing in Amsterdam next week. My girlfriend (23, also form Brighton) has just moved out to study for my Masters in Museum Studies at UvA but currently living from sofa to sofa.

We've spent weeks and weeks on all the usual sites like kamernet, funda, pararius etc with not much luck. As a long shot, I thought I'd reach out on this forum incase anyone had any personal contacts that might be able help us with a place to rent for under 1000 euros.

Can anyone answer my prayers?

Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2015, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SOS. Trying to find somewhere to live in Amsterdam

Didn't your girlfriend get sorted out via the International students service at the University? I'm guessing she's already registered with the official student housing corporation DUWO? She should be bugging them daily

Join lots of Facebook groups, like this for UvA students or Rooms in Amsterdam - a search will turn up lots of similar groups, but be careful that you don't end up paying a finders fee to an 'agent'. Be suspicious of friendly Dutchmen because they just see money everywhere.

www.kamernet.nl is free to register (don't bother paying for earlybird) and search for rooms or small studios - this is how my son finds his rooms. There are lots of similar sounding sites which ask you for a fee, but they all use the same database! so don't pay.

Or perhaps try The student hotel in the short term? https://www.thestudenthotel.com/contact-us
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

You could always consider living outside Amsterdam; don't students get free travel cards any more? Public transport in Holland is pretty good.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack.b
Hi all,

My name is Jack (25), from Brighton, UK and starting an internship in Digital Marketing in Amsterdam next week. My girlfriend (23, also form Brighton) has just moved out to study for my Masters in Museum Studies at UvA but currently living from sofa to sofa.

We've spent weeks and weeks on all the usual sites like kamernet, funda, pararius etc with not much luck. As a long shot, I thought I'd reach out on this forum incase anyone had any personal contacts that might be able help us with a place to rent for under 1000 euros.

Can anyone answer my prayers?

Thanks

As a long shot you might also give the Womens International Club of Amsterdam a call.Ex-pats!!-bound to have a good network and students amongst their members