Should / Can I get BSN

Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Should / Can I get BSN

Uk self employed commute between Netherlands and UK,

Friends have Mixed Opinions on me getting a BSN.

How Long do I spend each country well I don't know I would say its about 50/50 but It changes all time depending on things I need to do.
I do go to Germany and Belgium a lot.

It could quite easily be 6 months in Netherlands 4 Months in the UK 2 Months else where though I would not know and it could quite easily be more in the UK than Netherlands.

I have a Uk REG Car and DL
Irish and UK Bank account.
Getting BSN would allow me to get Dutch bank account.
Any Main reasons to get a BSN and reasons not to get one ?
Old Jan 25th 2015, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should / Can I get BSN

Unless you are planning on settling permanently in NL, don't bother. Work with UK as your base at first which is one of the positive benefits of the EU.
Find a UK bank with a foreign office/branch and organise an account that way or open a "Euro" account at your home branch. "Self Employed" and "Netherlands" are two incompatible expressions. Avoid if possible, or look forward to fat tax bills sucking all your hard-earned profits down a plughole. NL is not small business or SME friendly.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a BSN will be a red flag to the Belastingdienst to investigate your unusual working conditions: that's when they get interested in what you earn in other countries (they will have automatic access to your Dutch bank account, no need for them to ask your permission first).

You might not make their radar, but most things do eventually. You could find yourself in a battle to prove where you are tax resident (where is your permanent address? Do you have a mortgage or rental agreement in one of these countries?). If you want to avoid a long and legal dispute (where you'd need to hire native speaking accountants to fight your case), avoid making any more ties to NL or any country outside the UK, so your case for UK tax residency is clear.

A car, driving licence, are not relevant to your residency status: you (or your accountant) need to check the HMRC website as the residency rules changed a couple or years ago.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed with the above comments. The problem in NL is that many rules are very vague and not clear cut when it comes to cross border working. Make sure you meet the residency conditions for UK or Netherlands, one or the other. Using the UK as base and occasionally doing some work over here would be a way to start without breaking the bank. Belgium and Germany are not so hot on this stuff as NL but in all cases the fines are heavy if you abuse the system.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be so sure on the Belgium and Germany. Germany will stop you at the borders if their taxman says you owe them money, and Belgium recently changed the rules around contracting to catch those IT guys in disguised employment - and the penalties have been pretty darn fierce.