School - Dutch or International?

Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Netpon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default School - Dutch or International?

My husband has got a job in the Netherlands and my children and I will be joining him in the next few months.

My son is 9 and my daughter is about to turn 11 so would be starting senior school in September if we were staying in the UK.

None of us speak any Dutch so would my children be better off going to an International School or would they get help if they went to a Dutch school? We will start learning the language but I know there's no way they'll learn enough to get through school lessons in the time that we have!

How easy is the transition between British and Dutch schooling? We don't plan to be in the Netherlands for more than a couple of years, will they be at the same level as their British peers when we come back?

Thank you!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future
Default Re: School - Dutch or International?

In many primary and secondary schools most topics are already being taught in two languages (English and Dutch). You need to ask the local schools.

Recently somebody from the education ministry (I can't remember the name) has proposed a compulsory teaching of some subjects in English only.

I'd go for a Dutch school but first I'd check their reputation somewhere.

These are the schools that are trialling for lessons in English:
http://nos.nl/artikel/594920-les-kri...et-engels.html
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, that's interesting (once I'd got my head round Google's attempt at translating it!!)
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

steviehouse is an unknown quantity at this point

if your kids were younger I would definitely say Dutch school, however at 9 and 11, it might be very difficult for them to adapt in a dutch school

Also since you are only here a couple of years according your opening post and going to return to the UK, I think international school would be a better choice

International schools are not cheap though. look at up to €4000 a year for primary school level and €5000-6000 a year for secondary school level
Old Jan 12th 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. My husband is still negotiating his contract, they have said they will look into any school fees if necessary though.

We don't plan to stay more than 2 years, but who knows!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Nicky777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Netpon
My husband has got a job in the Netherlands and my children and I will be joining him in the next few months.

My son is 9 and my daughter is about to turn 11 so would be starting senior school in September if we were staying in the UK.

None of us speak any Dutch so would my children be better off going to an International School or would they get help if they went to a Dutch school? We will start learning the language but I know there's no way they'll learn enough to get through school lessons in the time that we have!

How easy is the transition between British and Dutch schooling? We don't plan to be in the Netherlands for more than a couple of years, will they be at the same level as their British peers when we come back?

Thank you!
Hi
I am moving to amsterdam with my two daughters in 2 weeks. I have opted for the British School of Amsterdam for my 12 year old. When I visited the school in December I was so impressed with the teachers, facilities and pupils it made my mind up on the actual move decision - the school looked fantastic. As they offer the same curriculum as the UK and the school is used to 'expat' nomadic life, they really focus on settling the children in.

Happy to keep you posted on how the transition goes! There are other more international schools available but the cost for all is high so make sure this is in your husbands employment contract!

Good luck,
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Nicky, updates would be really helpful if you don't mind
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

All Dutch schools have one or more "open dag". Just google the name of the school you're interested in or your area and "open dag". It will give you the day parents can visit the school and speak to teachers to decide if the school is right for their children.

As long as I know these "open dagen" are fully bilingual.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Nicky777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update as promised.... My daughter started school last week and I was amazed at the smooth transition. As the classes are small it is very personable and friendly - all the kids were expecting my daughter and the teachers were really helpful. Would not hesitate to recommend the British school of amsterdam.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Netpon

Thank you!
It depends how long you will be staying here, and also, where you will be staying.

is this a long term move (over 2 years)? Then your children would probably benefit from Dutch education. It's vital for them to have more than just you, ie, local friends and at that age, that will mean Dutch. But I won't lie: at that age, it's not going to be easy for them to take up a second language in the same way a 5 year old would. You as a mother should instinctively - and realistically! - know roughly what your children's capabilities are.

Frankly - (rudely, in English, but not in the more direct Dutch) - this will come down to what you can afford. To send 2 children to even the cheapest international school is going to cost your family almost 10,000 every year. No grants, no discounts. If your husband's company will pay school fees as part of his work contract, then you are stress-free. If you are more normal (ie: wife of a middle manager or IT guy), then in this expensive land, it's going to hurt you to an extent you would have to sacrifice just about everything: profit from sale of UK home, trips home to see family, summer holidays, days out... It will swallow any savings you have, and may jeoparise what deposit you can put on a house when you return home.

As you plan to be here 2 years (life doesn't always go to plan), then two years at an international school will give your children an advantage over their peers if they follow the IB (MYIB) programme. My own children found it challenging, and they were in mid-to-top sets back in the UK. If your children are in any way mid-stream or lower, then they will find IB over their heads (other expats have said this)
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. There is a Dutch teacher at their current school and she said that she thought my two would pick the language up relatively easily. She basically said the same as you, that an International school would be 'easier' but they would benefit from a Dutch school long-term. At the moment they are both above average in all areas and in top sets for most but I don't want them to struggle at a new school.

We will be in or around Maassluis and I have found an international school in Rotterdam that is part state funded. My husband is still negotiating his contract, he said that ex pats get tax relief on school fees so once the company have come back to him with a figure we can work out what we can afford.

We (or rather, I) don't plan to stay more than 2 years but who knows. My husband has been there since September and is loving it, he says he could stay permanently!

Thanks again for your reply, it has been really helpful
Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here almost 7 years now. My children were aged between 4 (reception class) and 15 (bad age!) when we moved here. I'm not sure about the tax relief - to my knowledge that is included as part of the 30% rule and not separate! so check with a tax advisor first (forums wont give you this information for free): I know we never got it, and Dutch companies promise you gold dust to make you sign the contract, without knowing the facts from the beliefs. But you can negotiate the employment contract here in a way you can't in the UK, so bargain HARD for (part)payment of fees.

Investigate the schakelklas for your daughter though. She is at a crucial age because 12 is when most children take their CITO toets (SATS, in the UK) before highschool. As she would already be in highschool in the UK, it will be better for her morale to go to this class for a year anyway, than have to go 'back' to primary school? Your 9 year old might just make it - learn enough Dutch in the 3 years before her CITOs. Some areas with higher immigrant levels (Amstelveen in the North, for example) have special programmes for primary school children to go to a special venue (picked up from school, all free of charge) learn intensive Dutch for 1 day per week, for example. Don't be scared to phone the gemeente or talk to your school's management about this to find out.