Relocation

Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Watalie1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation

Hello everyone -

My partner has been offered a job in Amsterdam and we're doing some research on the best way to go about relocation etc.

Whilst the lure of the City of Amsterdam is pretty great, does anyone have any knowledge of areas outside of the city but commutable by train (30 mins, max) - ad how hard it might be to initially rent a place in a suburbian area.

If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Relocation

Originally Posted by Watalie1976
Hello everyone -

My partner has been offered a job in Amsterdam and we're doing some research on the best way to go about relocation etc.

Whilst the lure of the City of Amsterdam is pretty great, does anyone have any knowledge of areas outside of the city but commutable by train (30 mins, max) - ad how hard it might be to initially rent a place in a suburbian area.

If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
My husband has been working in Amsterdam for the last couple of years. We initially looked at relocation, but found that the availability of suitable property to rent was poor, and rents were very high. He therefore decided to commute weekly with BMI baby, which has worked very well. The public transport over there is much better than here, and he has managed to get around easily on the metro. Most people speak English, so language hasn't been a barrier. What sort of area were you thinking of? family-friendly or just within easy reach of Amsterdam. He has Dutch colleagues we can ask.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks Beanz for your reply -

We're looking for somewhere easily commutable to Amsterdam but with a bit of an expat community. We have considered the commuting idea but the Company he would be working for don't want that, they have indicated that they want someone to settle long term. He's contracted previously but we really want to settle and have a family and we believe Holland is great in that respect.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

beanzmeanzheinz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Watalie1976
Thanks Beanz for your reply -

We're looking for somewhere easily commutable to Amsterdam but with a bit of an expat community. We have considered the commuting idea but the Company he would be working for don't want that, they have indicated that they want someone to settle long term. He's contracted previously but we really want to settle and have a family and we believe Holland is great in that respect.
We were looking at Amstelveen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstelveen which I am told has a good ex-pat population, and is a nice family friendly town.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beanzmeanzheinz
We were looking at Amstelveen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstelveen which I am told has a good ex-pat population, and is a nice family friendly town.
Thanks again Beanz - I'll check it out
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Oops - for some reason my reply is being moderated

Thanks Beanz - I'll check out the Wiki page
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice

How about looking at Utrecht? They have expat communities and its only 27 mins by train, direct to Amsterdam Centraal. Utrecht is a lovely city. Or is it a smaller place you wanted to live ? Not sure of house prices in Utrecht though.. I visit sometimes as I am on a direct train line to Utrecht (I live in Alphen aan den Rijn) and also did my Dutch course there. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice

Ooh, just seen someone else's idea of Amstelveen! Yes, that is very nice too and obviously closer than Utrecht.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mish - will discuss options of commuting with my partner. Right now, everywhere is a possibility
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

nomadalien is an unknown quantity at this point

Watalie, one suggestion I can make. Have a look at this site http://www.9292ov.nl/

It's for all public transport in NL. What I have noticed that even though the public transport is quite good, what completely "kills" you is each time you need to make a change! If you can go from point A to point B without having to switch trains/bus/ferry you will have a much better time.

We used to live outside Amsterdam before (Heemskerk) but that is a purely dutch neighborhood and we were the only expats there. Rent was much cheaper and houses/flats bigger. We now live right at the northern tip of Amstelveen and yes, it is very much the family expat area. It's well connected with public transport as well, but prices seems to be higher hear due to the expats that's on the 30% ruling and so have more money to spend

Quite a few of my co-workers commute from Leiden and Den Haag, so you might want to check those places as well.

My one and only advice still holds....do NOT change over during your commute! I believe this holds true for public transport anywhere in the world.

ps. I'm amazed to find quite many dutch adults who do not have drivers licenses!. Everything is so close to each other and there is so many public transport options that you simply do not need to drive.