Public transport in Holland?

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

HideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant future
Default Public transport in Holland?

Is anybody available to advise me on what the public transport system is like in Holland? I'd be very grateful for any light you can shed on this.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:12 pm
Remya

Default Re: Public transport in Holland?

Originally Posted by HideyHo!
Is anybody available to advise me on what the public transport system is like in Holland? I'd be very grateful for any light you can shed on this.
Compared to UK - trains are fantastic. Reasonably priced and very frequent, although in the evenings the service is less frequent and I thought they stopped quite early on. I don't think there's much after 10pm. The Dutch railway system is the NS: www.ns.nl - you can check out the prices here.

I didn't use buses all that often but they also seem easy to use and come more often than in the UK. However, for really short journeys, most people just use their bikes - it's only a few hours from the top to the south of the country.

(Having said that, I'm currently in Montreal where I would say the public transport system is even better. It all depends what you're comparing it to...)

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:14 pm
Remya

Forgot - http://www.9292ov.nl/ is also very useful as it incorporates buses and trains (and trams or walking). Good for more complicated journeys.

Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

HideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant futureHideyHo! has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Remya
Forgot - http://www.9292ov.nl/ is also very useful as it incorporates buses and trains (and trams or walking). Good for more complicated journeys.

Thankyou very much for that - I definately have to take a decent bike!