Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

sezmo84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Originally Posted by StevieLW
I've been here 9 months now, and finally found a job a month ago where Dutch isn't required. What village are you moving to sezmo?
Hi Stevie, Im sarah by the way. Dont really want to say the exactly village on here as others will be able to see. How do I send private messages on here to reply privately? Congratulations on finding a job! do you mind me asking how you went about findind one? My university degree is useless here until I am fluent in dutch. Sorry it took a while to reply, I have had a hectic time in Manchester before coming here.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Konijn is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm seeking someone in or around Leeuwarden who is a British citizen, who can sign my application to register as an overseas voter. If you would be able to meet for this, please get in touch!

Thanks,
Nathalie
Old Sep 25th 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Konijn
I'm seeking someone in or around Leeuwarden who is a British citizen, who can sign my application to register as an overseas voter. If you would be able to meet for this, please get in touch!

Thanks,
Nathalie

I also could do with a registered voter to sign my notification!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:06 am
Just Joined

I also could do with a registered voter to sign my notification!
Hi Stevie,

Do you know if you have to be already registered as an overseas voter for it to count? I was under the impression that you just had to be a British citizen living abroad, in which case we could sign each other's, but if you do have to be registered already then that's a bit more complicated...
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Konijn
Hi Stevie,

Do you know if you have to be already registered as an overseas voter for it to count? I was under the impression that you just had to be a British citizen living abroad, in which case we could sign each other's, but if you do have to be registered already then that's a bit more complicated...
Hi Nathalie,

I believe it has to be an already registered voter which makes it very difficult for me also! Seems like its hard to find one!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Hi Nathalie,

I believe it has to be an already registered voter which makes it very difficult for me also! Seems like its hard to find one!
Hi Stevie,

I've double checked the website and I am fairly confident that you only have to be a British citizen living abroad. You need to provide your passport information on the form however it doesn't say anywhere that you have to already be registered to vote abroad. So we should be good to go!

Last edited by Konijn; Sep 26th 2012 at 9:47 am. Reason: wrong info
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Nathalia

It seems you're right! I checked again and it only needs to be signed by another british person living abroad! Then i think we can help each other!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Brill! I have sent you a PM
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

Well, there is not too much to do in Joure or Leeuwarden. Friesland is one of the least crowded Dutch provinces. Friesland has beautiful nature and people though. It can be a bit difficult to understand them as they have a very thick accent. Anyway, good luck!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

DanielD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i am currently living in England but am looking at moving to Leeuwarden as my girlfriend is a student at University there. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the best place to look for English speaking jobs, as although i have started to learn Dutch i am far from being fluent in it! I have already applied for some jobs in the city but have yet to heere any replies so any advice on where to look would be great, i will also be in the city over Christmas an New Year so would also be able to visit anywhere you might know of in person. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DanielD
Hi, i am currently living in England but am looking at moving to Leeuwarden as my girlfriend is a student at University there. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the best place to look for English speaking jobs, as although i have started to learn Dutch i am far from being fluent in it! I have already applied for some jobs in the city but have yet to heere any replies so any advice on where to look would be great, i will also be in the city over Christmas an New Year so would also be able to visit anywhere you might know of in person. Thanks in advance!
Hi Daniel,

Leeuwarden is a nice place, but it is quite tough to find an English speaking job. I was lucky to find one at a business in a town near Leeuwarden (sneek) that does international business and so needed a native speaker.

I suggest checking out indeed.nl - searching for English on there can help. Also register with the agencies (ie Randstad, Tempo Team, Manpower) over here. Most jobs in the north here require you to also speak Dutch, however you might get lucky.

Depending on where you're from in the UK you might find living here a bit cheaper than living in the UK, especially if you're moving in with your girlfriend and she receives housing benefit.

If you need any further advice on moving to Leeuwarden I'm happy to help, I did it myself only 1.5 years ago!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

DanielD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stevie, first of all thank you for replying to me so soon and your offer for any more advice as there is a good chance i will take that!

An thanks for the advice you have already given me, i am going to visit some agencies when i come over in a couple of weeks time an have applied for a few jobs on indeed.nl but i will definitely keep looking!

Yes i currently live in Liverpool city centre an from me an my girlfriend have seen it will be a lot cheaper to live in Leeuwarden, i just hope i am lucky enough to find a job soon!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

They don't even speak Dutch in Leeuwarden!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gioppino
They don't even speak Dutch in Leeuwarden!
haha, Dutch is spoken a lot more in leeuwarden than it is in the villages around the rest of Friesland. At work in Sneek I hear a LOT of frisian being spoken, and don't understand a word!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

sezmo84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it frustrating too...trying to learn dutch whilst everyone speaks fries is so difficult!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.