Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Old Dec 7th 2011, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

christopheradams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Hello,

I'm possibly going to be taking up a new job near Leeuwarden at a place called Joure. It's a big step for me moving out to the Netherlands and have a few questons:

1, Are there many British expats who live there?
2, What is it like living there?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Anyone? *bump*
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Enilocin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possibly Moving to Leeuwarden

Hi Chris!
Not exactly an expat but I have lived in London for over 6 years and have moved to Sneek last year. Sneek is approx. 15 km from Joure and perhaps I can help you with some of the local quirks?
Let me know if you're interested.
Best,
Nicoline
Old Dec 14th 2011, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Hello Nicoline,

Thank you for your response. Yes please! I'm now committed to moving out to Leeuwarden so any help would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your quick reply! Congrats on your move to Leeuwarden! A bit of a relief as well as I imagine Joure to be a very challenging place for any foreigner.
I know Leeuwarden very well, we lived there for some time and own a company near the train station. My husband grew up there and his family haven't moved since. It is a great place, all amenities of a big city but still quaint. Due to the vast exchange student population you will have no problem getting around in English. There's even an Irish pub with all english staff and the best curry house ever! (coming from a londoner, that says a lot! Not sure what your interests are but the pub shows most important football/rugby/cricket games, there are 3 cinema's of which one is for the more quirky, cultural movies. Various music venues ranging from (very)alternative to opera, also a great arts centre with a good selection of courses. Foodwise there's anything from sushi to michelin dining, let me know your taste and I'm sure to find you the nicest place, they do vary a lot! The cafe's or pubs are mainly aimed at either the locals or students with a few exceptions on the highstreet that cater for the mainstream. All good in their own way though. Also check out the library, they have a good selection in english and the building alone is worth a visit. Do you have accomodation already? If not, make sure you stick close to the city center, the suburbs are nice and quiet but a lot harder to connect with socially. Obviously the main attraction here in the North is watersports, sailing, surfing, rowing, swimming, you name it. At the tourist information center they rent out 'sloepen', open boats to tour the canals. Excellent on a sunny day with a full hamper and some cold beers! In winter they make a big ice rink on the square next to the Oldenhoven tower, you can rent skates and they serve hot wine and chocolate. Also a great place to meet new people. I'm not sure about the expat community there but he in Sneek there are a few. Sneek is 30km or 30 mins by train to the southwest. Following Leeuwarden and Heerenveen Sneek is the third largest city in Friesland (and one of the famous 11, have you heard about that yet?) There is so much more to tell but please let me know if you are interested in anything specific or if you need some help on the ground here. I know what its like to land somewhere completely new and foreign For one, I love photography so if you need any snaps of your new neighbourhood let me know.
My direct mail is nic at wielens dot net, feel free to contact me there.
Kind regards,
Nicoline
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Chris,
What's happening? A little too much info for ya?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Molentje is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking for British/ English and or French speaking people who would like to meet my grandmother who is thinking to move to Leeuwarden in order to be closer to the family. Do you know any(elderly?)body?

Helen
Old Jan 28th 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

hey

I'm a british guy, living in Leeuwarden and have been for 6 months now. I'd like to make some new friends around here so if anyones up for coffee please get in touch!

Stevie
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Molentje
I am looking for British/ English and or French speaking people who would like to meet my grandmother who is thinking to move to Leeuwarden in order to be closer to the family. Do you know any(elderly?)body?

Helen
Hi Helen,
Sorry for the delay! Thank you for your post! Unfortunately I can't think of anybody fitting your requirements, elderly yes, english and/or french yes, but combined no . Good luck!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by StevieLW
hey

I'm a british guy, living in Leeuwarden and have been for 6 months now. I'd like to make some new friends around here so if anyones up for coffee please get in touch!

Stevie
Hi Stevie,

I'm nearly moved over to joure now, just got to make one more trip this week. Are you still looking to make new friends? I should be free sometime next week.

Regards,
Chris
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Konijn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I plan to move to Leeuwarden in about six months and would like to chat to anyone about the area - I have visited a few times but don't know much. Any advice on work would also be greatly appreciated, I speak a little bit of Dutch but suspect it's not nearly enough for Dutch-language work. Please feel free to message or email

N
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

sezmo84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am soon to be moving to a small village near sneek/leeuwarden. I am coming in a week to be with my boyfriend, bit nervous to be honest but hoping to also meet friends of my own and build a life up there. Im the type of person who makes friends at bus stops lol but it is more difficult in friesland or maybe I lack confidence as I dont speak dutch, who knows. Enilocen your info on leeuwarden was fantastic, thankyou it was a pleasure to read. :-)
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sezmo84
Hi, I am soon to be moving to a small village near sneek/leeuwarden. I am coming in a week to be with my boyfriend, bit nervous to be honest but hoping to also meet friends of my own and build a life up there. Im the type of person who makes friends at bus stops lol but it is more difficult in friesland or maybe I lack confidence as I dont speak dutch, who knows. Enilocen your info on leeuwarden was fantastic, thankyou it was a pleasure to read. :-)
Hey good luck with moving over here! I'm sure things will go well for you I've been here now 2 months although not got lots of out of work friends yet I'm making good progress. So far I've travelled around Holland because of my job and only a hand full of times I've come across people who couldn't speak English at all. If your close to joure send me a message if you guys fancy a drink

Anyways good luck!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here 9 months now, and finally found a job a month ago where Dutch isn't required. What village are you moving to sezmo?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

sezmo84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christopheradams
Hey good luck with moving over here! I'm sure things will go well for you I've been here now 2 months although not got lots of out of work friends yet I'm making good progress. So far I've travelled around Holland because of my job and only a hand full of times I've come across people who couldn't speak English at all. If your close to joure send me a message if you guys fancy a drink

Anyways good luck!
Hi, Im pleased to hear that things are going well for you here. I sometimes feel bad that its such an effort for people to speak to me when they struggle with their english. I have decided to fly back home for a week on the 25th for both of my parents birthdays. A drink sounds good. I know I can get to sneek but I will need to find out how I get from sneek to joure by public transport, is it possible? My boyfriends drives but it would depend on when you want to meet if he would be free as he has a daughter. Sorry not sure how to do private msging on here, no good with ICT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.