Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

permanent address while living aboard?

permanent address while living aboard?

Old Nov 20th 2015, 10:34 am
Just Joined

imageraw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permanent address while living aboard?

hi everyone,

I'm a EU citizen planning to move to the Leiden area and I'm wondering if any of you has experience with living aboard in The Netherlands (on a 9mt sailboat).

In particular do you know whether it's possible/legal to use your marina address as your permanent address - for all intents and purposes. I'd be spending some four years in the country and would be freelancing.

if it is, would such an address be subject to different tax rules? (haven't looked into it yet, just wondering if i might have to pay boat-property tax - in addition to marina fees).

thanks for your help!
Old Nov 20th 2015, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permanent address while living aboard?

Mmmm; absolutely no idea. The only thing I can think of that's kind of relevant is that regardless of your circumstances (also applies to all EU citizens, including Dutch citizens), if you're staying for more than 4 months, you must register at the local gemeente (town hall); they won't let you register from a temporary address (and I'm guessing a boat is temporary), but will accept your previous foreign address for the first 4-months. After that, I'm not sure what will happen, but I think you may be returned to where you came from. The Leiden Gemeente have an Expat Centre; they have a web-page here; try contacting them and asking the question.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

many thanks for the link. i'll see what they say and then report back - the info might be useful to other people in the same situation.

i would've thought it's quite "normal" in The Netherlands to live on a boat - barges, and so on...so i'm (perhaps incorrectly) assuming that the government would make a distinction between "residential mooring" and "continuous cruising" - the former, for instance, being accepted in the UK as "fixed location" for bureaucratic purposes...

sorry i don't quite understand what you mean by "you may be returned to where you came from". Could you please tell me more about this?
Old Nov 20th 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a regular called Liveaboard who owns houseboats, perhaps send him a message? I think he's probably had most experience with gemeentes and mooring spots
Old Nov 20th 2015, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imageraw
many thanks for the link. i'll see what they say and then report back - the info might be useful to other people in the same situation.

i would've thought it's quite "normal" in The Netherlands to live on a boat - barges, and so on...so i'm (perhaps incorrectly) assuming that the government would make a distinction between "residential mooring" and "continuous cruising" - the former, for instance, being accepted in the UK as "fixed location" for bureaucratic purposes...
There are plenty of house-boats in Holland, but they are registered residences; have bins, phone lines etc. I've just never seen a 9m sailing-boat as one. I could be wrong - the Gemeente will advise you (each will have it's own interpretation of the rules).

sorry i don't quite understand what you mean by "you may be returned to where you came from". Could you please tell me more about this?
Deport you. Sounds kind of drastic and I've known ex-pats who've lived in illegal residences (caravans) in Holland, worked in the Black (illegal), for years and not been kicked out, but that is the bottom line. These places are attractive to people who try to avoid paying gemeente taxes in Holland; the point is that you have to pay these taxes somewhere if you are resident in Holland.

While I'm being boring; don't forget that Medical Insurance is required by law in Holland; you can't use the EU emergency scheme if you are resident. You'll also be subject to Dutch income tax and social taxes while living and working in Holland.

Would be good if you could let us know what the Gemeente tell you.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Cynic; Nov 20th 2015 at 3:10 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Cynic, sorry to be blunt, but the part about deportation doesn't sound drastic, it sounds slightly out of context here...although i must say i got a wee bit worried for a moment but thanx for pointing out the legalities of living in The Netherlands. I promise I'll abide by them

Red_Wine_Fairy: it's a brilliant idea, I'll certainly contact her/him.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic, sorry to be blunt, but the part about deportation doesn't sound drastic, it sounds slightly out of context here...although i must say i got a wee bit worried for a moment but thanx for pointing out the legalities of living in The Netherlands. I promise I'll abide by them

Red_Wine_Fairy: it's a brilliant idea, I'll certainly contact her/him.
No problem; I can understand someone seeing it as out of context, I was trying to say it nicely; let us know how you get on.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:37 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know of any moorings in Leiden? If so are they able to take permanent moorings?
To see what permissions and/or licences for you to use the Dutch waterways maybe read though this page.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the link! great source of info.

i was recommended Fort Marina - Dé jachthaven in Warmond aan de Kaag and Jachthaven Katwijk but am still waiting for them to get back to me on residential mooring. Will be happy to let you know as soon as they do.