Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

English Land Rover Freelander in Netherlands

English Land Rover Freelander in Netherlands

Old May 23rd 2017, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Paxo16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Land Rover Freelander in Netherlands

Now living near Eindhoven. I don't think I can use my car until I have registered it here, etc. Is this a complicated process, could somebody tell me? I'm thinking it might be easier to try to dispose of it. <snip> Thanks.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 23rd 2017 at 1:07 pm. Reason: You cannot advertise on the forum
Old May 27th 2017, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Land Rover Freelander in Netherlands

You can start the process by getting the forms from the Belastingdienst. They are only available in Dutch, however, so ask a friend or colleague if you don't understand (google translate or similar could be helpful). You need to have owned the vehicle for 6 months prior to moving, and you need to register it within 12 months of arriving here.

https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/w...bij_verhuizing

The Dutch version of the DVLA is the RDW, who helpfully have information in English

Last edited by Red_Wine_Fairy; May 27th 2017 at 4:04 pm.
Old May 27th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Try this: https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/net...mporting-a-car
Old May 27th 2017, 6:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If the Netherlands is anything like the UK and several European countries that I know of, you may have significant difficulties selling a vehicle in the Netherlands that isn't registered in the Netherlands, even to a breakers yard or scrap dealer.

In other words, you as the registered owner in the UK should be able to register it in the Netherlands, but if you sell it to someone else in the Netherlands they probably can't register it because they aren't the registered owner, and the DVLA won't register the new owner because they aren't in the UK. This is thanks to EU anti-theft laws.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 27th 2017 at 6:45 pm.
Old May 29th 2017, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the info you guys. Invaluable.
Old May 30th 2017, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If the Netherlands is anything like the UK and several European countries that I know of, you may have significant difficulties selling a vehicle in the Netherlands that isn't registered in the Netherlands, even to a breakers yard or scrap dealer.
This was our experience. They didn't even return our calls So we 'abandoned' it on a nearby carpark space with contact details, until it attracted the attention of the local Handhaving (enforcement officer) who took pity on us when we showed him the list of yards we'd tried to contact, and arranged a breaker to take it away.
Old May 31st 2017, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing your experience, Red Wine Fairy. I hope it doesn't come to that for me. Still plenty of life left in my Freelander I hope. Just a question of whether to spend the money converting it

Last edited by Rosemary; May 31st 2017 at 2:59 pm. Reason: Advertising