Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Netherlands

Old Dec 5th 2017, 7:25 pm   #1
Forum Regular

neurotic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NS Season Tickets

So I know it is specific for a route between two stations, I'm just wondering, is it also valid on in-between stations? Say, the ticket is e.g. between Haarlem and Amsterdam Centraal, is it still part of the "unlimited number of journeys on your route"-deal, if you occasionally decide to go from Sloterdijk instead?

I can't find this info on the website, does any of you know by any chance?
neurotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th 2017, 12:30 pm   #2
Forum Regular

Default Re: NS Season Tickets

More importantly why can't I pay online with a Visa cars to purchase one?

And why should I even pay after last night's performance ffs, how is that even normal that there's a little snow and suddenly everything stops, and nobody helps and they're offended that you ask them something!

And why aren't roads and pavements shovelled and where are the grit boxes?
Old Yesterday, 9:14 am   #3
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

You are making a newbie expat mistake: do not project your norms/values/customs from your home country on the country you are visiting. It may backfire on you.
SushiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 am   #4
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiFan View Post
You are making a newbie expat mistake: do not project your norms/values/customs from your home country on the country you are visiting. It may backfire on you.
I'm not a newbie expat, I've done this before in another country. I'm not projecting my customs, I just want to be able to use my money and get to work without breaking a bone. Not being able to buy a season ticket is costing me a lot and I already fell over twice on the pavement because of the ice. These are real problems, not just failed expectations.
Old Yesterday, 7:52 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with the rail questions, but I don't find NL that different to the UK in its inability to cope with a sudden heavy snowfall. It just shuts down early. I agree with you about the gritters; they do the roads and even have snazzy mini-ploughs for the bike path, but pedestrians can go whistle. You can buy snow shovels and strooizout (bags of grit/salt), but it's not provided.

I have spent the last two days walking on roads and bikepaths, middle fingers prepared should anyone decide to complain at me taking their safe-spot, but so far everyone has been pretty understanding.

It's pretty much gone now - let's hope it doesn't return too soon. And watch out for Elfstedentocht fever among the Dutch if it does.... that's something quite unique.
Red_Wine_Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:04 am   #6
Cynic Male
Forum Regular

Cynic is just really niceCynic is just really niceCynic is just really niceCynic is just really niceCynic is just really niceCynic is just really niceCynic is just really niceCynic is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotic View Post
More importantly why can't I pay online with a Visa cars to purchase one?

And why should I even pay after last night's performance ffs, how is that even normal that there's a little snow and suddenly everything stops, and nobody helps and they're offended that you ask them something!

And why aren't roads and pavements shovelled and where are the grit boxes?
Really glad you're getting on in Holland.

Generally, occupants are responsible for clearing snow/ice around their property.

Credit cards are a bit strange in Holland, they have them, but they have their own unique internal banking card system (I forget the name) for buying things like train tickets, or other stuff on line. That said, I just checked the NS website and they say they do accept credit cards - weird, must have changed since last summer (or a senior moment).
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Netherlands