Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:36 am
Just Joined

radicalbyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Netherlands - the good, the bad and the ugly?

"They" be the locals.

"They" certainly seem to love the Germans now. Love their food, love their business, love their cars.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:16 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radicalbyte

"They" certainly seem to love the Germans now. Love their food, love their business, love their cars.
Where do you live?

Holland doesn't have any domestic car makers and they tend to favour European car manufacturers. And they absolutely detest the German national football side. And no, they've not forgotten about the war.

I suggest you visit the Verzets museum in Amsterdam to get a real feel for what the Germans did to the Dutch during WWII and the starvation afterwards. People may forgive but they do not forget.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Where do you live?
I live in Lunteren, a village near Ede and I work in Nijmegen.

I guess that most people have forgiven what their great grandparent's generation did now.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:24 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Lunteren, a village near Ede and I work in Nijmegen.

I guess that most people have forgiven what their great grandparent's generation did now.

The Dutch wont forget what happened for a long time to come.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by furkew
The Dutch wont forget what happened for a long time to come.
They're always being extremely pro-german, though. I.e. buying all the German products, having lot of business with Germans, lots of people speak German (as common as English here) and they're always driving to Germany to go shopping.

They dislike the French and Belgians more.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:37 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

They're always being extremely pro-german, though. I.e. buying all the German products, having lot of business with Germans, lots of people speak German (as common as English here) and they're always driving to Germany to go shopping.

All you are saying is that the Dutch have a very good business sense.

German cars are well built and in the long term, good value. Same with Siemens, Miele etc etc

It has nothing to do with the people. thousands of Dutch live in Belgium for tax reasons, and thousands more bank there for the same reason. They have absolutely no reason to dislike them. They just think they are a dumb race.

They speak German because its very similar to Dutch, and the Dutch are probably one of the best countries for languages I know. Most (younger) people speak German, English & French, and spanish & italian are also quite populour.

If you are in business here you need to speak either English or German but preferrably both.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:42 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anyone who dislikes the Belgians and the French as a whole nation.
As someone pointed out before, the Belgians are often featured in jokes, but honestly that has nothing to do with dislike...it's more like making fun of your little brother.
France is the no. 1 holiday destination for the Dutch...so again, no dislike...mabye a bit of a problem regarding communication because most Dutch people speak little French.

As far as Germany is concerned, sure, Dutch will buy their stuff if it's good (or cheap), but that doesn't take away the fact that WW2 still is a big big part of history and will not be forgotten (rightly or wrongly, that's another matter all together).

I am Dutch by the way.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MataHari
As far as Germany is concerned, sure, Dutch will buy their stuff if it's good (or cheap), but that doesn't take away the fact that WW2 still is a big big part of history and will not be forgotten (rightly or wrongly, that's another matter all together).

I am Dutch by the way.
Maybe it depends on the region? I've heard that there's a split between the Ranstad and the rest (like the SE/UK) My colleagues, friends and family certainly feel that way.

People dislike the French because they can be, erm, a bit French. Similar to the Americans. A lofty attititude.

Guess the Belgian thing is close to the English/Irish thing - the Irish are always the butt of jokes. Though the Dutch go further.

All in my exerience, mind.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

The Dutch do not like the Germans really, they dont like their attitude, and they still havent forgotten about the war.
And don't forget the 1974 FIFA World Cup Final where the dutch lost with 2-1.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it depends on the region? I've heard that there's a split between the Ranstad and the rest (like the SE/UK) My colleagues, friends and family certainly feel that way.

People dislike the French because they can be, erm, a bit French. Similar to the Americans. A lofty attititude.

Guess the Belgian thing is close to the English/Irish thing - the Irish are always the butt of jokes. Though the Dutch go further.

All in my exerience, mind.
I'm dutch too.

The dutch in general think the french are nationalistic and arrogant. Biggest reason for these prejudices is the language barrier. Since german is very similar to dutch most cloggies can communicate at a decent level with their eastern neighbours. English is extremely widespread in the Netherlands since everyone is exposed to it from a young age: dutch tv is subtitled while the actors speak their original language which is most often english. French on the other hand is a lot more difficult for most dutch people. Also, the germans have a culture that is very similar and recognisable to the dutch, whereas the french have a more mediterranean culture which is further away from what the dutch know. Most people who speak reasonably to good french will tell you that they like France and its people, simply because they don't suffer from aforementioned language barrier.

You're spot on about the belgians. They ARE the butt of dutch jokes and are generally considered of less intellect than the dutch. But normally the belgians and the dutch get along pretty well.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:07 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Toontje
And don't forget the 1974 FIFA World Cup Final where the dutch lost with 2-1.
Hi Toon, long time no see,

I keep forgetting the Dutch used to be able to play football.

Bit like England really

Hows the job hunting going ?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 5:52 am
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

Having done 3 years of German at school in Britain. ( Yes, I'm so old I remember the time when we Brits studied foreign languages seriously ) I sometimes use my German, when I'm struggling with Dutch, and often the Dutch tell me "please don't speak German, speak English".

They of course love you to speak some Dutch to them. I personally love the Dutch. They are so open and "in your face" compared to say the Swedes, who are so bloody withdrawn.

Speak English to them, plus some Dutch, and there's no problem.

BTW, the first words of Dutch I learnt, are the most important:

"nog een, alstublieft!

( one more (beer) please )

Last edited by Starseed; Apr 2nd 2007 at 6:01 am.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

watdoje is an unknown quantity at this point

"nog een, alstublieft!

( one more (beer) please ) ????
''Another one please'' but that could be kofie bier or anything really
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:39 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watdoje

"nog een, alstublieft!

( one more (beer) please ) ????
''Another one please'' but that could be kofie bier or anything really
would this apply in the Walletjes?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Toon, long time no see,
Hows the job hunting going ?
On hold for now. I buried my dad yesterday and am flying back to Texas tomorrow to continue the job hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.