Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Need some advise on job offer in Hoofddorp

Need some advise on job offer in Hoofddorp

Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need some advise on job offer in Hoofddorp

There are all sorts of deductions. To be honest I have never tried to get to the bottom of them all.

There is no NI but the equivalent is compulsory medical insurance. This is normally just over 100 euro per month for an adult. Normally you´d join your company scheme. If you want to do it yourself you´ll have to prove to your employer that you have cover. The system works well. Hospitals and medical care here are excellent.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

msnau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

On a salary of 55k euros, you can expect to bring home circa 3k euros per month after tax, pension, and basic medical insurance has been deducted, and including 30% ruling. Without 30% ruling, it reduces to about 2.5k euros per month.

Bear in mind, here in NL they pay you your holiday allowance in one lumpsum in one month - this will vary depending on your holiday entitlement. The above amounts do not include holiday allowance.

I suggest you contact your company's HR dept and ask for a sample payslip to give you an idea of take home amounts.

msnau
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Sdevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,
I have now managed to secure the offer and have confirmed the take home pay with the HR .

I am now trying to find a 2 bed apartment to rent in a good multicultural area where its easy to get Asian Grocery / Meat and things.

Also need to make sure that there is a local dutch school near by.

So do you guys suggest any good areas where rent is not that expensive?

Regards
SD
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sdevil
Thanks for your replies eveyone
@brummie girl... I assume you are from Birmingham... I am from birmingham as well.
How are you finding life in Netherlands compared to UK (Birmingham)? I already have a house and everything here in birminhgam. So i am trying to figure if the move will be worth it for extra 10k in salary.

Regards
SD
If the extra 10k is the only attraction of moving to the Netherlands, then I'd say no, stay put or move within the UK.
Unless you particularly want to speak and learn Dutch, do not underestimate how irritating it can be to be surrounded by Dutch all day long.
The weather is also pretty depressing but I suppose similar to Brum. The supermarkets are the worst in Western Europe and customer service in all areas is non-existent both of which are likely to be depressing for your OH.
The Dutch will sell you stuff quite happily in English but they won't let you into their 'kring' so you will have to mix with other expats probably or go completely friendless. Work colleagues do not invite work colleagues home - there is no drinks after work culture.
Your OH if at home with 2 year old is likely to feel quite cut off and isolated (corporate expats live in expat bubble and leave during the holidays and put their kids in international schools but are very welcoming to newcomers if you hit their radar - not sure you would in Hoofdorp)
Relocate to NL for 10k a year? No way...nowhere nearly enough for the culture shock for your OH. I enjoyed my time in NL as corporate expat but this is my honest opinion.