Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Moving to new job (AMS) & terrified of housing situation!

Moving to new job (AMS) & terrified of housing situation!

Old Nov 16th 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

neurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to new job (AMS) & terrified of housing situation!

Yes I have seen Pararius, thanks! It's through one of their adverts I got in touch with an agency... they wanted to see my ID and my contract and I've not heard from them since, I hope that means they're busy on my case... just wondering, how often does it happen that they don't find anything suitable for a desired timeframe? What's your experience with them? The one I found have great reviews on Google and I'm willing to trust them, but I know that my rental budget is smaller so they can't earn too much on me.... but they'd still be wanting to earn that and find me something I would like, right? Riiiight??

I'm travelling in a wee bit more than a week and I'm on a panic roller coaster about it. I keep bursting out in tears about Facebook group adverts for roommates. I can't possibly ever do that, but my budget is so low, I don't know what to do...
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neurotic
Yes I have seen Pararius, thanks! It's through one of their adverts I got in touch with an agency... they wanted to see my ID and my contract and I've not heard from them since, I hope that means they're busy on my case... just wondering, how often does it happen that they don't find anything suitable for a desired timeframe? What's your experience with them? The one I found have great reviews on Google and I'm willing to trust them, but I know that my rental budget is smaller so they can't earn too much on me.... but they'd still be wanting to earn that and find me something I would like, right? Riiiight??

I'm travelling in a wee bit more than a week and I'm on a panic roller coaster about it. I keep bursting out in tears about Facebook group adverts for roommates. I can't possibly ever do that, but my budget is so low, I don't know what to do...
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, I don't have any experience of the company, just thought it looked like a good resource for seeing what's available How much of a commute could you reasonably manage? Eg half an hour each way, an hour?
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

It's through one of their adverts I got in touch with an agency... they wanted to see my ID and my contract and I've not heard from them since, I hope that means they're busy on my case... just wondering, how often does it happen that they don't find anything suitable for a desired timeframe?
I hope that experience hasn't made me so cynical.... but here it goes....

They likely put the phone down and forgot about you when they heard your budget. The reason; you are searching in the most sought after price band and those properties switch hands within hours in Amsterdam, usually via word of mouth (meaning they aren't even advertised). For the hassle, and the small fee you'll bring in comparison to someone coming here with a relocation allowance, I would say with 90% certainty that the majority can't even remember your name. Don't be offended - they would have treated any Dutch homeseeker in your situation exactly the same (I know some of them). If the agents are in the small percent who are willing to help you out, then they won't start looking until you are on the ground here. They'll want to see the papers, the work contract (so they can tell a future landlord you're good for the money) and to check you aren't an undesirable before they even pick up the phone to make the call.

I would strongly advise you book into an Air BnB for the first week, or come a week earlier if you can afford to, and use that time to do as many viewings as you can over a wide area. Once you're here and networking, you might find one of these properties comes to your attention before an agent ever gets a sniff at it.

Keep checking all the websites - including Parasius - also Jaap, etc; keep searching and posting on Facebook (you might have to share for a short while). It's never plain sailing and an agent isn't necessary if you have time to put the legwork in yourself (save yourself a small fortune too)!
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

neurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, I don't have any experience of the company, just thought it looked like a good resource for seeing what's available How much of a commute could you reasonably manage? Eg half an hour each way, an hour?
It's OK, the link was helpful, I kind of just asked everyone, the more info, the better. I'm asking everyone about these agencies because it's my biggest worry, that I put my trust in the company and they're going to let me down and won't be able to find anything suitable or are unable to agree with the landlord to take me in as a tenant because of my low income.

Any commuting time is fine by me. I currently commute about 30 mins each way, but honestly, back in the day when I was at Uni I spent 3-4 hours on public transport every day (I wasn't into sharing then either ).

Unfortunately my employer doesn't have a travel expense scheme though (I did ask), so it can't be too expensive, but I'd rather eat sandwiches for dinner than stay with other people. I know it's irrational, but I can't help it. So I don't know what my chances are.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
I hope that experience hasn't made me so cynical.... but here it goes....

They likely put the phone down and forgot about you when they heard your budget. The reason; you are searching in the most sought after price band and those properties switch hands within hours in Amsterdam, usually via word of mouth (meaning they aren't even advertised). For the hassle, and the small fee you'll bring in comparison to someone coming here with a relocation allowance, I would say with 90% certainty that the majority can't even remember your name. Don't be offended - they would have treated any Dutch homeseeker in your situation exactly the same (I know some of them). If the agents are in the small percent who are willing to help you out, then they won't start looking until you are on the ground here. They'll want to see the papers, the work contract (so they can tell a future landlord you're good for the money) and to check you aren't an undesirable before they even pick up the phone to make the call.

I would strongly advise you book into an Air BnB for the first week, or come a week earlier if you can afford to, and use that time to do as many viewings as you can over a wide area. Once you're here and networking, you might find one of these properties comes to your attention before an agent ever gets a sniff at it.

Keep checking all the websites - including Parasius - also Jaap, etc; keep searching and posting on Facebook (you might have to share for a short while). It's never plain sailing and an agent isn't necessary if you have time to put the legwork in yourself (save yourself a small fortune too)!
Thanks... I do have my first two weeks booked at an AirBnB but I don't know what I'll do afterwards, and where I'll spend Christmas even...

I know that everyone's looking in the same price gap but... I didn't do it over the phone, I had to fill my budget and my income into an online form first... so if they wanted to laugh at me and ditch me, then they could have done so at that point... but then they said they accepted my search order, and since then we've exchanged a few emails, and the last one was the ID and the contract so I'm hoping they're on my case? They did say they could start looking before I go and that they would do viewings on my behalf too. I'm just panicking because it's Friday tomorrow then I'll have another week left here and then.... aaaarrrgh... but they must be able to help? That's why I'm using them because I know I don't have a chance otherwise.... And they're not even based in Amsterdam so I'm looking outwith so I could still have a chance??
Old Nov 17th 2017, 8:12 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks... I do have my first two weeks booked at an AirBnB but I don't know what I'll do afterwards, and where I'll spend Christmas even...
Can you come to an arrangement to spend longer at the AirBnB? I think you need to be on the spot for your search and two weeks might not be enough. You need to be zen.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Inatiswas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I don't want to burst your bubble but 1900 euros isn't a great salary for Amsterdam.

I'm slightly concerned that your employer doesn't cover travel costs, I've never heard of an employer in NL that doesn't have a travel policy albeit some may cap at 40kms each way.

Although I live in the east I commute to Amsterdam as my contracts are always with international companies so I'm very familiar with working there.

Feel free to PM me if you want any further details.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks I don't know why they don't have travel policies, but I read about it and it's not compulsory so that's just it I guess, perhaps most of their employees prefer to live in the city even at the cost of sharing. If I'm the one weirdo commuting then so be it, as long as it leads to friendly banter and not exclusion, then I'll take that stick.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I know that everyone's looking in the same price gap but... I didn't do it over the phone, I had to fill my budget and my income into an online form first... so if they wanted to laugh at me and ditch me, then they could have done so at that point... but then they said they accepted my search order, and since then we've exchanged a few emails, and the last one was the ID and the contract so I'm hoping they're on my case? They did say they could start looking before I go and that they would do viewings on my behalf too. I'm just panicking because it's Friday tomorrow then I'll have another week left here and then.... aaaarrrgh... but they must be able to help? That's why I'm using them because I know I don't have a chance otherwise.... And they're not even based in Amsterdam so I'm looking outwith so I could still have a chance??
Hi Neurotic... I feel for you..Its exciting and terrifying by turns..I lived in NL for 30+ yrs,but in the south (near Eindhoven) even so, we (OH and two small kids) had to live in an hotel for a month! Little in the way of property for sale or rent in those days. We once visited an agent in an apartment block.He on the top floor ,we in the busy entrance hall on his speaker phone.He yelled down that if we were English we couldn't afford the property. Much to the amusement of the Dutch around us,and our huge embarrasment .(I wanted to catch the next plane home) It was a bumpy ride for a lot of the time,living in another country with another culture is.but once once you get the hang of it ,it will change your life forever.Be brave,don't give up. you will get there. p.s One resource you might try is the International Womens Club (in the phone book) made up of women from around the world who live (in your case ) in Amsterdam area (there are more clubs in Breda and Eindhoven etc) They or their OH's often work for the big multinationals...so they have contacts you might not otherwise find.Also a good resource for when you finally move. One more thing.. You don't say what Industry you propose to work in? what is it?

Last edited by GeniB; Nov 27th 2017 at 8:41 am.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the encouragement, I need it haha! I arrived yesterday and it looks so beautiful and I know I will like it but I can't speak to anyone and can't even read the food labels, I don't know what to shop for myself and what to say to people and my boyfriend is not here to see the prettiness either so I'm just crying all the time

I also had myfirst "landlord experience today" as the agent has shown me a flat which I was fairly happy with but "because my contract is for a definite period", he now wants 3 months deposit instead of 2, although I don't know why that's a sound reason. I would be reluctantly willing to pay that but I need some flexibility (with the possibility to extend)... The agent is super helpful and also experienced so maybe there will be some kind of positive outcome achieved but otherwise I just want to go home and hug my boyfriend

I will work in the creative industry, Amsterdam is a unique design hub so I would have no similar opportunity in the UK and I just have to take it for that boost for my career, but right now I just hope it will be worth it.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry the way I put it isn't too clear. So the agency didn't dingy me, infact I'm very happy with them, the agent is a total pro who was very kindly representing me, against the landlord, who changed his mind about the deposit.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the encouragement, I need it haha! I arrived yesterday and it looks so beautiful and I know I will like it but I can't speak to anyone and can't even read the food labels, I don't know what to shop for myself and what to say to people and my boyfriend is not here to see the prettiness either so I'm just crying all the time

I also had myfirst "landlord experience today" as the agent has shown me a flat which I was fairly happy with but "because my contract is for a definite period", he now wants 3 months deposit instead of 2, although I don't know why that's a sound reason. I would be reluctantly willing to pay that but I need some flexibility (with the possibility to extend)... The agent is super helpful and also experienced so maybe there will be some kind of positive outcome achieved but otherwise I just want to go home and hug my boyfriend

I will work in the creative industry, Amsterdam is a unique design hub so I would have no similar opportunity in the UK and I just have to take it for that boost for my career, but right now I just hope it will be worth it.
Wow, you've just arrived and you've had a viewing already! That must be a great confidence booster! If the 3 months deposit is legal I say go for it, that's at least 3 months that you don't need to worry about where you'll be living.

Re the food shopping, just pick up what you need from the shelves and go through the checkout At deli counters etc, pointing to the item works for me and if the assistant looks like they're giving you too much, use hand signals to show that you want less. Everything should have a price on so you can calculate how much you're spending.

I think that you're far more resilient than you seem to realise. You've secured a job overseas, you've moved and are in the process of sorting out accommodation - maybe step back and give yourself a little more credit.

Roll with the punches, embrace your temporary new life, take what you can from it, and enjoy the experience
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the kind words. The credit for the viewing is for the agency, I just asked them to look somewhere for me and they found me something really quite nice. They're worth more than their fee and I'm happy to pay for them, but the deposit doesn't mean 3 months of no worries, it's just a security thing for the landlord to hold onto in case I do anything wrong. I would get it back at the end though* so it's no big deal, but I wasn't happy that they didn't allow flexibility and I have to rely on the agent's negotiating skills to be able to find somewhere to live for the full period. (Otherwise it seemed really good and a totally pretty location that would just make it so enjoyable).

I'm just very insecure about it all and I'm annoyed that I have to spend all my savings (and maybe even have to ask for a loan from the boyfriend for the first month) for something that might not even last a year. I keep thinking about it as an investment into my career and for now I can only pray that it will be worth it.

On one hand I feel like going home as soon as possible, to the wee flat we already own and lived a comfortable life in, on the other hand I want this new journey now to last as long as possible in order to reap all the fruits and to be sure it's worth going through this.

*Might involve having to fight for it as I read some stories on here too but I will get it back lol!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

"Creative Industry" covers a lot of stuff. If it's webdesign or Graphic Design then you will soon become aware that it's a very competitive field in the Netherlands.

Why should you be annoyed at spending savings? You are after all investing in your own future and possibly a great career move..treat it like the adventure that it is, enjoy your time, make new friends/contacts and don't panic about the language. Even if you go back to UK the experience alone will always be beneficial.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I think about it like that too, that the experience will be worth it alone, and I know that it's what savings are for, the reason I get annoyed by it is that because I find it hard to live in the moment without worrying about the future But another poster also said, that "you need to be zen", and I swear I'm going to try

I'm aware that it's a competitive field and I expect the job to be quite stressful, but it's also a unique opportunity to work here and prove myself in this environment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.