Moving to Netherlands questions.

Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Netherlands questions.

Originally Posted by PunkinHed
Thanks.

Noticed earlier, you mentioned you still need to get the Apostille stamp on your documents.

Did you not need to show proof of divorce / proof you wasn't married when you moved?
I showed them my divorce document and they said it needs an apostille stamp...... as I am not planning to get married again anytime soon, its at the bottom of the list of things to do!

Strangely, they also asked for a copy of my marriage certificate - understandably, I don't have that anymore! If its necessary, I will have to write to Leicester City Council for a copy.....
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

PunkinHed is an unknown quantity at this point

So is it really required to show?

Odd that they requested marriage certificate, was there any issues with you not having that?

I have no plans of being married again either, and trying to get my divorce sorted here quickly, looking at doing it online, so hopefully can get it sorted soon.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

Well, I took all the important documents with me - birth certificate, divorce certificate and deed poll (for after the divorce). Birth certificate is definitely required along with your passport. As for the divorce/marriage certificates, not sure how important these are, don't think you need to show them straight away.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

So is it really required to show? Odd that they requested marriage certificate, was there any issues with you not having that?
In theory the Gemeente shouldn't ask to see your marriage certificate, unless you ask to 'legalize' it (legalisatie). By 'legalization' the Dutch law means that you want the certificate to be available to the Dutch system. If you are not planning to get married immediately or you are not having kids or planning to adopt, there's no reason for them to request it. However you will soon realize that here the Gemeenten want to establish their own law and they'll give you hard time for no reasons.

I am not a British citizen but across the continent the birth certificate should have an annotation of your marriage, divorce and change of names. So all information should be already in your birth certificate.

Originally Posted by karij1980
BSN number couldn't be applied for til I was living in The Netherlands either.
Until last year any non resident could simply write to the Belastingdienst office in Heerlen and ask for a sofinummer. That's how I got it.

The law seems to have changed on the 6th of January. If you are planning to stay less than 4 months (you can change your mind afterwards) you can go in person to one of these offices:
http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wc...ecurity_number

and get a BSN. You need to call 0800 - 0543 and make an appointment first.

My feeling is that they haven't implemented it yet, though.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I'll make sure to get all the certificates just in case. Don't think I'll be ever getting married again, no plans to anyway, but might possibly have kids.

My marriage took place in Canada, to a Canadian, so it wouldn't be on my birth certificate anyway, even if all the information was on there.

Speaking of that, I doubt there will be, but will there be any issues with moving to The Netherlands, if I've previously lived in Canada? (was there 1 year on a working visa, and 6 months on holiday)

Last edited by PunkinHed; Jan 17th 2014 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

So you're British, you got married in Canada but your marriage never got registered on your birth certificate? That's a bit weird.

To be honest I would rather make sure that you have your previous marriage registered on a legal British document and validated by the UK embassy in NL just in case.

Then, because the marriage was outside the EU and it doesn't appear in your bc, it should be legalized in NL:
http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwer...het-buitenland

Until the marriage certificate is not legalised the council might either not register you at all or accept a temporary registration (I know the law says the opposite but that's the reality).
Old Jan 19th 2014, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all.

With regards to place to live, would a letter from my girlfriend's parents be suitable, if we ended up living with them for awhile?
Yes, ask the Gemeente for the form: "Toestemming inschrijving op adres" or you can download it from their website. All councils in NL have a website.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

I'm British, my ex is Canadian, was married in Canada. I have no idea if it is registered on my birth certificate, didn't even have birth certificate with me when I lived in Canada.

I have a copy of the marriage certificate, which I'll be using to process my divorce, which is stamped from Canada.

I was ready to start my divorce this week, so are you saying if I do that, then I might not be able to move to The Netherlands in the future?

My current girlfriend and I have no plans of being married at all, and have discussed that many times, so will it still be a problem?

Also, it says on the gov.uk website:

You can register your overseas marriage or civil partnership in the UK if one of you is:

- a UK national marrying a foreign national before a UK consular officer in a country without legal registration facilities
- a serving member of, or attached to, the British Armed Forces

none of these apply to my situation and the marriage took place in 2010.

Last edited by PunkinHed; Jan 19th 2014 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gioppino
So you're British, you got married in Canada but your marriage never got registered on your birth certificate? That's a bit weird.
Information like that isn't recorded on birth certificates - not here anyways.

I shouldn't have thought there is any problem of moving after getting divorced if your marriage was abroad.

You could contact the Dutch Embassy - http://unitedkingdom.nlembassy.org/
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

I'll look into contacting them tomorrow.

Also on the gov.uk website it says:

Your marriage or civil partnership should be recognised in the UK if you follow the correct process according to local law.

I guess I'll just contact the Canadian Embassy too to find out.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

The solution is quite easy. Your marriage certificate must be legalized in the Netherlands. The Gemeente will do that for you (for a fee) when you register. The only thing is, until the certificate is legalized (usually takes 4 weeks) the Gemeente might only issue a temporary registration (tijdelijke inschrijving) which is valid to all effects, but they cannot refuse you entry to the Netherlands.

If you need a 1-2-1 free legal advice you can go to the nearest Juridisch Loket, they're usually quite good.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

KatieJoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently in the process of getting my birth certificate legalised. I wasn't told I needed to do this till last week. I move on the 24th! Really hoping it arrives back on time.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gioppino
The solution is quite easy. Your marriage certificate must be legalized in the Netherlands. The Gemeente will do that for you (for a fee) when you register. The only thing is, until the certificate is legalized (usually takes 4 weeks) the Gemeente might only issue a temporary registration (tijdelijke inschrijving) which is valid to all effects, but they cannot refuse you entry to the Netherlands.

If you need a 1-2-1 free legal advice you can go to the nearest Juridisch Loket, they're usually quite good.
I'm really confused here, apologies.

I won't have the marriage certificate when I arrive. I'm using the marriage certificate to process my divorce (unless they return it to me when done, I don't know).

When moving, I'll have my Birth Certificate and Divorce Certificate both with an Apostille Stamp to make sure they are legalized. If they are both legalized in the UK then surely they can be legalized in the Netherlands?

I just don't see why my marriage certificate would be needed, if I have proof of divorce, this is where I'm confused.

Basically if I start processing my divorce this week, here in the UK, will that have any affect whatsoever on my future?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by KatieJoy
I am currently in the process of getting my birth certificate legalised. I wasn't told I needed to do this till last week. I move on the 24th! Really hoping it arrives back on time.
Katie, how are you getting it legalized, by getting an Apostille Stamp on it here in the UK?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

I just don't see why my marriage certificate would be needed, if I have proof of divorce, this is where I'm confused.

Basically if I start processing my divorce this week, here in the UK, will that have any affect whatsoever on my future?

Thanks.
I'm confused as to why they need a copy of my marriage certificate as well...... I will apply for a copy soon (I would think getting a copy costs money).

It will have no bearing on your future here in the Netherlands
Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

It's all in here:
http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwer...dse-documenten

Ask your beloved Dutch-speaking partner to translate it for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.