Moving to Netherlands questions.

Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

PunkinHed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Netherlands questions.

Hi.

I'm looking to move to the Netherlands hopefully later this year or next year and just need some information.

I'm a UK citizen, and have a dutch partner, however, I'm in the process of a divorce from my previous partner so will have all that complete before I even plan on moving anywhere.

I'm also learning dutch at the moment, and want to be able to speak at least basic dutch before I leave the UK.

So basically, what exactly is it that I will need to do in order to move?

When I visited the IND in Rotterdam with my girlfriend, they mentioned just having enough money to provide for myself (if so, what would be a sufficient amount?), and birth certificate / proof I'm not married, and that's it, is that all correct?

Also, with regards to work, is it possible to start looking for work before the move, or do I need to be registered before I can start applying for jobs?

Thanks.

Mark.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Netherlands questions.

With regards to your Birth Certificate and Proof of Divorce they should be legalised with an Apostille stamp (https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised) and also make sure its your full Birth Certificate and not the short form one.

When I registered at the IND I had to show that I had a legitimate place to live, (i.e. was on the lease for an appartment, or had permission from my partner in writing to live with them), and show that I'd registered with the Gemeente for my BSN (social security) number. You should register with the local gemeente within 3 days of arriving I believe, however I waited to register with the IND until I had a job so that I could prove my income. As an EU citizen although they ask you to do this, its not legally binding that you must.

I tried to look for work before I came, however I found that no agency entertained the idea and mostly said, come back to me when your here. Might be different in The Randstad, but up north that was the issue.

Good luck with your move!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

1) A short form of the birth certificate was ok in my case (I'm Italian but it shouldn't make any difference)

2) You don't need to go personally to the IND. Just book an appointment with the "Niewukomers loket" of the council where you are going to live, together with a valid passport, a valid birth certificate (see above) and a copy of the rental contract where your name is clearly stated.

3) Request a sofinummer before you go, it will save you a lot of hassle. Send a copy of your passport to the Belastingdienst Herleen, asking to have a sofinummer as "Particulier Buitenlands".

With that in hand you can open a bank account and start working, even before you're registed.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

Your story sounds familiar to mine.... was waiting for my divorce before I moved over too.....

Anyways, what has been said above is correct (and I must get around to the Apostille thing too, but have not had the money to do so as it costs per document and its not needed at the moment i.e. no plans to get married again!).

With regards to the money, I basically took everything I had. As I lived on my own in the UK, I had to pay for the rent, bills etc, so no chance of saving. But the plus side was that I wouldn't need the furniture, TV, and other house things, so was able to sell them off at a car boot sale or privately. Unfortunately, 6 months down the line, money has run out, but I am lucky to live with my boyfriend who provides for me - but obviously I am job hunting every day and getting close to finding work any day now.

With regards to the IND, my name was added to my boyfriend's bank account to prove I had access to money - but I never use the account anyway.

But, what I can recommend is when you are ready to come over, don't forget to reclaim any tax that you have paid - I did that and found I was able to claim a refund of just under £500 which helped a lot.

With regards to learning Dutch - I knew some words and sentences, but you only really learn when you are here and immersed in the language. I have lessons every Wednesday at a sort of asylum seekers building. I am not one, but they accepted me on the basis I have no money to pay for a course.

Also, the libraries run Taalcafes, I attend our local one on Friday mornings - you learn more there too as they only speak Dutch. Is it Rotterdam you are moving to?

Websites for you -

http://www.indeed.nl (Job site)
http://www.nt2taalmenu.nl/ (language learning)
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm (for claiming your tax back when you leave)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dutch-For-Du...ch+for+dummies

Brilliant book - better than all the other phrase books I've had!

Good luck!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all.

With regards to place to live, would a letter from my girlfriend's parents be suitable, if we ended up living with them for awhile?

Is there a minimum amount of money that is required to move, or I just need enough to show I can provide for myself?

Groningen is where I'm planning on moving to.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

When you arrive in The Netherlands, you should apply for a BSN number. Your girlfriend would need to be present when you do it as they will ask her for her address, passport details etc. Thats what happened when I applied for mine.

With regards to the money, I can't honestly comment. I knew that I would be living with my boyfriend, so just took whatever I had left from selling my stuff in the UK, refund of rent and tax. I would say that was about £1500 - needless to say, thats not a lot and I am now dependent on my boyfriend.

Groningen is just over an hour away from me
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the reply.

Sadly, at this moment in time, I'm unemployed, would this affect anything when it comes to moving?

I'm not planning on moving until later this year or early 2015, so will hopefully have found work by then, but if not, will anything be affected?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

As an EU citizen, you are allowed to live and work anywhere in the EU without a permit, so unlike places such as Australia where you HAVE to have confirmed work to go to, you can just settle in The Netherlands without a job. Although its also good to have a job too!

Nothing stops you from looking early though when you have a confirmed date, you can start emailing agencies or check out indeed.nl for jobs.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!

So being unemployed in the UK currently won't affect it, correct? (I worry far too much about nearly everything, so always like to be double sure about everything)

I remember reading something about benefits awhile back, but think it said I can't be on benefits when in the Netherlands.

When you moved did you state you was moving to be with your partner or to work? I noticed on the IND website, it mentions telling them if circumstances change, such as stating you're there for work, but then not working etc.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

clrthrn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am in the same boat insofar as I am in the UK but I am looking for work in the Netherlands with a view to moving as soon as humanly possible. We have a lot of family and friends over there so we are keen to go. I have found that recruiters aren't that interested in me in the UK and the single response to an application that I have received back is "to look when in country" which isn't much use really. I think i am going to take a week off, stay with friends in Holland, book interviews with the big recruiters then see what happens from there. In terms of language skills, I have basic Dutch, even more basic French and my English is more fluent Yorkshire than strictly the Queen's. Apparently this is sufficient to find work in the Ranstad according to friends (thank God!) but could be a problem once you start to head East

All of this could be academic of course if one of you lovely people over in the Netherlands needs a Project Manager with comms, engagement and events experience...PM me!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PunkinHed
Thank you!

So being unemployed in the UK currently won't affect it, correct? (I worry far too much about nearly everything, so always like to be double sure about everything)

I remember reading something about benefits awhile back, but think it said I can't be on benefits when in the Netherlands.

When you moved did you state you was moving to be with your partner or to work? I noticed on the IND website, it mentions telling them if circumstances change, such as stating you're there for work, but then not working etc.
1st question - nope, I left my job and a week later I moved to The Netherlands

2nd question - If you live with someone then no. We already asked that and because I live with someone, they are expected to provide for me instead. Sucks, but its the same in the UK in some cases.

3rd question - I don't know about that. I guess they would know if you were working when your BSN number is used by a future employer. As for not working afterwards, you would have to question it.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clrthrn
Hi I am in the same boat insofar as I am in the UK but I am looking for work in the Netherlands with a view to moving as soon as humanly possible. We have a lot of family and friends over there so we are keen to go. I have found that recruiters aren't that interested in me in the UK and the single response to an application that I have received back is "to look when in country" which isn't much use really. I think i am going to take a week off, stay with friends in Holland, book interviews with the big recruiters then see what happens from there. In terms of language skills, I have basic Dutch, even more basic French and my English is more fluent Yorkshire than strictly the Queen's. Apparently this is sufficient to find work in the Ranstad according to friends (thank God!) but could be a problem once you start to head East

All of this could be academic of course if one of you lovely people over in the Netherlands needs a Project Manager with comms, engagement and events experience...PM me!
You need to write down the skills you are good at. Before my CV would say that I wasn't good at Dutch etc. Now it says that English is my native language and I am currently learning the Dutch language and would love the opportunity to use my current job skills whilst learning the language. You just need to think of the positive things.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again! You've been a huge help.

So you left your job then just went to the Netherlands week after. Did you apply for anything related to moving before you left, or was it just a case of leaving UK then sorting everything when there?

Just trying to be sure of everything before I plan it all properly.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

I applied for a couple of jobs, but personally, I wanted to wait til I was there. BSN number couldn't be applied for til I was living in The Netherlands either.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

Noticed earlier, you mentioned you still need to get the Apostille stamp on your documents.

Did you not need to show proof of divorce / proof you wasn't married when you moved?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.