Moving to Holland

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Holland

I am a British citizen married to a Canadian citizen and we really want to move to Holland.

We went to Dutch consulate and is it as easy as it seems? I know I can go with no problems, but my husband can just turn up and as long as we have somewhere to live we can register at the police station and look for work?

Also I have heard that if you work in IT then you don't need to know Dutch to get a job, how true is that?

It all seems to be too good to be true.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Dutch Paul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Holland

Originally posted by babsi
I am a British citizen married to a Canadian citizen and we really want to move to Holland.

We went to Dutch consulate and is it as easy as it seems? I know I can go with no problems, but my husband can just turn up and as long as we have somewhere to live we can register at the police station and look for work?

Also I have heard that if you work in IT then you don't need to know Dutch to get a job, how true is that?

It all seems to be too good to be true.

Babsi
I can`t comment on your husbands position regarding staying/working in Holland but as you say you won`t have a problem.
Maybe working in IT wouldn`t be a problem speaking only English but watch out! The authorities are now checking that foreigners are at least trying to integrate here. Learning the language is seen as part of integration and I have heard that your staying permit can be revoked if they think you are not trying to integrate into the comunity(although I`ve never heard of this actually happening). It is now compulsory for new residents to take Dutch language courses.
Although you can get by here speaking only English(90% of Dutch people speak fluent English) I found that when you start showing that you are trying to learn the language that the locals tend to show you a lot more respect, more often than not helping you along the way.
When I first came over it was a bit of guesswork how to register(I hadn`t done any homework first).
First you need to register at the local police station. They used to give you a 3 month stay permit(verblijfsvergunning) first time, then a 6 month, then a 12 month, then 5 year.
Second, you need an address (it`s a lot easier if you have a proper address and not just a hotel address). You must then register with the city hall(Stadhuis).
Thirdly, you must go to the local tax office and ask for a SOFI number (NI number) - don`t forget to take along all your paperwork(passport,proof of staying permit(they used to stamp it in your passport at the police station), birth certificate and your husband may need a visa????????(not sure)
You must have all these things in order before you can start work in Holland.

This was the system 7 years ago and as far as I know it hasn`t changed.

Good luck

Paul
Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for advice.

We do want to learn Dutch, I advertised in finding a Dutch teacher in the Canada thread

We REALLY want to leave Canada this year, I am hoping in the next 6 months to be honest, so by the time it takes us to learn Dutch it could be years before we are ready to apply for Dutch-speaking jobs, as there is only so much you can learn not being there. That is why we really want to know about the IT jobs in Holland, if you don't need the Dutch.

It sounds a lot easier than most European countries, so bascially all you need is an address and you don't have too much of a problem and go and register at the police station? It just sounds too good to be true.

BTW can anyone help me out with info on not having the MVV visa? Can you really be a citizen of Canada and not need anything at all?
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

im also british and we are also planning to move to holland, look at this website http://www.dutchconsulate.toronto.on.ca/passport.htm

it gives you all the info you need!

good luck

Originally posted by babsi
Thanks for advice.

We do want to learn Dutch, I advertised in finding a Dutch teacher in the Canada thread

We REALLY want to leave Canada this year, I am hoping in the next 6 months to be honest, so by the time it takes us to learn Dutch it could be years before we are ready to apply for Dutch-speaking jobs, as there is only so much you can learn not being there. That is why we really want to know about the IT jobs in Holland, if you don't need the Dutch.

It sounds a lot easier than most European countries, so bascially all you need is an address and you don't have too much of a problem and go and register at the police station? It just sounds too good to be true.

BTW can anyone help me out with info on not having the MVV visa? Can you really be a citizen of Canada and not need anything at all?