Lost UK drivers license

Old Feb 13th 2016, 10:04 am
Just Joined

ILikeItHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost UK drivers license

Hi all,

I moved to the Netherlands last year and just lost my UK drivers license before changing it with a Dutch one. I lost it in Spain while visiting my parents. I went to the police there but could not report it simply as I did not speak Spanish and they did not speak English.

Does anyone know:

1) How I go about getting a Dutch license now I have lost my UK license? I am unable to get a replacement UK photo-card as I am no-longer UK resident.

2) Is there any way to register the original UK license as missing? I am concerned about identity fraud. I called the DVLA and they said they could not register it lost over the phone as I could not get a replacement as I am not UK resident. I looked at Cifas, but they too require you to be UK resident.

I'm aware that I should have changed it sooner, then none of this would have been so difficult. But that milk has already been spilled. So, any help would be warmly appreciated...
Old Feb 13th 2016, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost UK drivers license

https://www.rdw.nl/englishinformatio...ving%20licence
Old Feb 13th 2016, 12:11 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Forms from Spain can be filled out in English. But that is now beside the point.

The link given above is only if you lost your Dutch licence in The Netherlands. It also advise you if you loose a non-Dutch licence
You live in an EU/EFTA country

If you live in a country that is a member of the EU or the EFTA and your Dutch driving licence is lost or stolen, then you will have to apply for a (national) driving licence in your country of residence.
If you have lost your UK licence you can only apply for one at the address on it. https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-r...riving-licence

You must not drive in the Netherlands without your DL with you. Boete (fine) is 90€ each time you are caught. It is also a mater of insurance. The Dutch insurance will not cover you either. Whilst they will pay for 3rd party claims to settle things quickly. But after that they will demand that money back from you.

Sorry to say but this is a lesson other members should all learn form this posting. Exchanging your DL ASAP in your adopted country is important. If not you can be left in a bit of a pickle.
Old Feb 14th 2016, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP might not have lost it in Spain, after all, lost means he doesn't know where in the world he lost it, then he could go to a Dutch police station and say he has no idea where it is: he would not be lying. No point in delivering a lecture when he needs assistance instead.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm as confused now as the OP probably is.

So. We know the OP lost his UK driving license in Spain whilst visiting his parents. He is not there now. He is in Holland.

He is unable to apply for a new UK driving license as he is not UK resident.

He was not able to report it to the Spanish police at the time as he was unable to communicate with them.

The link RWF has given seems to be about more than just Dutch licenses. It is also about lost foreign driving licenses or am I missing something.
You lost your foreign driving licence?
If you have lost your driving licence from an EU or the EFTA member state, Aruba or the former Netherlands Antilles you need to supply the official police report and an official statement by the issuing authorities.

You must also take one colour passport photo and a valid passport or other valid proof of identity with you. The municipality will then process your application. If the application is approved, you will receive a new driving licence for the normal period of validity.
So
1 - He needs a police report.
2 - He needs a UK DVLA statement.
3 - He needs to report the loss to DVLA because of concerns about ID theft.

How does he do this?
Old Feb 15th 2016, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't have more information, I merely provided the link the OP needed to continue his/her queries. I simply pointed him in the right direction (to the RDW) in case he wasn't aware of the licencing authority here.

He can get a report by walking into a police station. It's a paper exercise, because they won't be discussing it with the UK authorities. If the OPs conscience makes them need to mention Spain, so be it, but that would be giving the police here a reason to put their pen down and do nothing further, saying it's Spain's issue. Expense, frustration, language problems.... not worth it. Better, in my opinion, to say he doesn't know where he lost it (which is the truth, because if he knew where it was it wouldn't be lost). My son's lost his UK passport many times - the police don't care, and simply take the details and print out a form to send off - that's it, a 5 minute job.

He'll need to check the RDW website to see if he can find what exactly they need the DVLA statement to state, or call the DVLA because this won't be the first or last time such a thing has happened.