Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Living abroad and keep account with Halifax

Living abroad and keep account with Halifax

Old Dec 20th 2013, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future
Default Living abroad and keep account with Halifax

Hello, I have now officially moved to the Netherlands and no longer resident in UK for tax purposes. I have given Halifax a correspondence address in the UK at a friend's because the customer service officer at the branch told me they couldn't keep my account alive if I had a foreign address. My friend, for his own reasons, is not very happy with receiving mail for me and is a bit paranoid about possible consequences for him (maybe worried about benefits investigations).

You will be probably aware that Halifax gives often incorrect advice both in person and by telephone, so, before wasting time and money speaking to the call centre, I wonder if anybody has a clue on how to move from here.

I will probably receive a couple of letters a year (including tax statement) and in 3 years I will receive new ATM and credit cards, so this could be a problem. I would like to keep this account alive as I still do online shopping from the UK.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 9:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living abroad and keep account with Halifax

Originally Posted by gioppino
Hello, I have now officially moved to the Netherlands and no longer resident in UK for tax purposes. I have given Halifax a correspondence address in the UK at a friend's because the customer service officer at the branch told me they couldn't keep my account alive if I had a foreign address. My friend, for his own reasons, is not very happy with receiving mail for me and is a bit paranoid about possible consequences for him (maybe worried about benefits investigations).

You will be probably aware that Halifax gives often incorrect advice both in person and by telephone, so, before wasting time and money speaking to the call centre, I wonder if anybody has a clue on how to move from here.

I will probably receive a couple of letters a year (including tax statement) and in 3 years I will receive new ATM and credit cards, so this could be a problem. I would like to keep this account alive as I still do online shopping from the UK.

Any help will be appreciated.
I kept a Halifax account when I lived in Spain, and it was registered to my Spanish address.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I kept a Halifax account when I lived in Spain, and it was registered to my Spanish address.
What did you do to keep your account? Did you contact your branch, sent a letter? Did you open it in Spain?

I think there could have been a special provisions for expats in Spain.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 11:58 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What did you do to keep your account? Did you contact your branch, sent a letter? Did you open it in Spain?

I think there could have been a special provisions for expats in Spain.
All I did, before I moved to Spain, was to contact them and show my new address with proof by showing the letter from the realtors there. However things may well have changed since, when I wanted to change address I had to wait till I came over to the UK and go into a branch as otherwise it would have taken weeks and needed lots of official signatures.
Old Dec 20th 2013, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

I am thinking of contacting them, but what if they then block my account?

By the way, I had posted this onto the Europe main forum and it ended up in the Netherlands one.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

steviehouse is an unknown quantity at this point

My father has kept his UK bank account, although not with Halifax.
I will try to find out what he did to keep it. (although it was 13 years ago so he may not remember)
Old Dec 30th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

I'm with HSBC and my Dutch address is registered with them. They did want a photocopy of my passport to prove I was an EU citizen and to prevent fraud activity. I seem to remember Nat West offering to register my Dutch address too - before I left them for HSBC!

Only difficulty is that if someone sends me a cheque, I do have to send it back to the UK for it to be paid in.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

I have been reading into Halifax terms and conditions for both current and saving account.

For the current accounts, there's no mention of being non resident. The t&c's specifically mention:
Our accounts are available to personal
customers who are resident in the UK
and that's it.

In the savings accounts T&C's:
This agreement is for our savings accounts and related
services for customers resident in the United Kingdom
(“UK”), and customers resident outside the UK who
we have agreed can have, or continue to have, a
savings account with us.
So should I give 'em a call?

Worse comes to worst, if the close my accounts they should transfer the money into my new accounts, shouldn't they?
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

Always worth calling - you can always quote the above if they have objections....
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:22 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

2 years ago, I went back to England to close out 2 of my kids building society
accounts in Leicester, hoping to rejoin an ISA. They refused saying I needed a British address.I tried others with a similar answer, I approached Halifax they however said no problem, I just, need prove of abode in Germany. In between time I have closed all
British fund accounts.

I just didnt want future hassle, plus the % is not much different anywhere.Its easy in euro I dont lose on exchange rates, when travelling and I wont be visiting UK too often now.
When I lived in holland years ago, my English accounts in building societies, were
using my Dutch address, so if there have been changes , I wouldnt know.
Halifax did send me in October,to my one and address, though not an account holder, if I still had interest, in any of their accounts.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Imho it's a good idea to keep a UK bank account, unless of course you have no intention of ever returning to the UK. Over the years Ive seen on here that people never know what is around the corner, so any help in returning to the UK is always useful.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Only reason I have a UK one is for purchases in the UK such as magazines on my tablet or for a couple of direct debits I still have active at the moment.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

I want to keep it for two reasons:

1) I might have to work for a British company in NL and they want to pay to a UK account
2) Many goods are cheaper to order from the UK than buying them here. For example I am going to order a smartphone from Amazon UK and they'll deliver it for free in NL.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

1) I might have to work for a British company in NL and they want to pay to a UK account
2) Many goods are cheaper to order from the UK than buying them here. For example I am going to order a smartphone from Amazon UK and they'll deliver it for free in NL.
Good thinking, and you would be surprised at the benefits if/when you return to the UK to live
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

True.... I want to buy some things that I have seen on the internet, but the postage to NL is shocking! So I will get them delivered to my parents and collect them when I am next over - which will be a few times this year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.