Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

I'm studying Dutch at a local college but who's paying for it???

I'm studying Dutch at a local college but who's paying for it???

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 11:48 am
Just Joined

ChristopherBarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm studying Dutch at a local college but who's paying for it???

Okay so a few months ago I began to study Dutch at a local college. The week before the holidays I was asked to sign a contract to continue my study. This really confused me because who is actually paying for that education because education isn't free? I looked all over the contract for anything regarding tuition fee and such but couldn't find anything.

I had actually considered becoming a student and studying such things as I.T or business (there aren't a lot of courses taught in English) but does it even work the same as the British education system? Where you have to pay everything back at the end? Well clearly you have to pay everything back but you know what I mean. Somebody on my course asked me if I was living in student housing and all that but I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me that I should speak to the lecturer about it because they can maybe help me.

It just confuses me so so much because everybody in my class isn't even Dutch, they can barely talk Dutch let-alone English but they have income and a home. That doesn't anger me it merely confuses me because I'm struggling really hard to find work every single day and my living situation is pretty, well it's not good.

I have a BSN number and all that and I've been living here for about 3 years now.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:28 am
Just Joined

BjornNL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm studying Dutch at a local college but who's paying for it???

Okay so a few months ago I began to study Dutch at a local college. The week before the holidays I was asked to sign a contract to continue my study. This really confused me because who is actually paying for that education because education isn't free? I looked all over the contract for anything regarding tuition fee and such but couldn't find anything.
It depends at which college you are studying. Some colleges do offer free Dutch lessons to international students.

I had actually considered becoming a student and studying such things as I.T or business (there aren't a lot of courses taught in English) but does it even work the same as the British education system? Where you have to pay everything back at the end? Well clearly you have to pay everything back but you know what I mean. Somebody on my course asked me if I was living in student housing and all that but I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me that I should speak to the lecturer about it because they can maybe help me.
Education in the Netherlands is not free. You have to pay 'collegeld' or college tuition (considering that you study in a public college) which is € 1.951 per year (as a long as you do not have a Bachelor degree, otherwise you pay a fee which is five to ten times higher depending on the type of degree). You can apply for student finance, check: https://duo.nl/particulieren/interna...nt-finance.asp

It just confuses me so so much because everybody in my class isn't even Dutch, they can barely talk Dutch let-alone English but they have income and a home. That doesn't anger me it merely confuses me because I'm struggling really hard to find work every single day and my living situation is pretty, well it's not good.

A lot of universities have bilateral agreements with Dutch universities. International students from these universities can apply for (cheaper) housing and in most cases get student finance or a grant. And from my own experience I can confirm that these international students barely speak Dutch and their English is in most cases on a beginner level. For Dutch universities it is hard to refuse a student when this student comes from an university where they have an agreed with.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 7th 2015 at 3:49 am. Reason: Sort quoting
Old Aug 7th 2015, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

How did you find the course that you are on? Where was it advertised and how was it advertised? Based on your status you may not have to pay anything at all especially if you are unemployed or receiving social security payments.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely there is someone at the college who you can ask ? Student Adviser ? Counsellor ?
Old Aug 9th 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure it was clear.... you're a full time student or not?

Is it just a plain Dutch course? I believe some gemeentes will offer the courses for free (I believe Amsterdam is one) and others will make you pay it by getting a loan from DUO (but it's fully refunded if you complete the course?) If you're British, they can't force you to do inburgering/language as you're an EU citizen (did they tell you that?) but it's still great to learn - especially if it's free.

Or, are you on a fulltime HBO (technical degree) or MBO (trade/apprneticeship) course, and Dutch is one of the units you need to pass to get your certificate? That's entirely different, and then the fees that Bjorn talks about apply. In that case, you apply for a grant/loan (some of which is paid back after completion, a bit like the UK system except there you pay it all back, the grants were long since scrapped).

It sounds like you're unemployed and are just doing it to increase your chance of work? It's possible you might qualify for some money back like zorgtoeslag (towards your health insurance) and depending on your living arrangements, huurtoeslag (housing rebate). Go to your gemeente's Sociaal Loket and ask them to help see if you're entitled to some extra assistance. In the meantime, register with every uitzendbureau in town - you won't get the best jobs, but it's work.