Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Help about cost of living in Amsterdam

Help about cost of living in Amsterdam

Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:29 am
Just Joined

utero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help about cost of living in Amsterdam

I would like to ask about the cost of living in Amsterdam. My job requires going around the globe for a better offer. Im in England right now and theres a project in Amsterdam. I don't have an idea how much is the salary in Amsterdam so im going to based it on the cost of living. Its my first time to be paid in euros

How much do you spend in groceries, telephone, cable TV, internet. transportation. How much is the tax deduction for skilled workers., national insurances. etc.

i also need some figures in water and electric bills

Thank you,, it will help me decide if im going to accept the offer or not
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:08 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help about cost of living in Amsterdam

Originally Posted by utero
I would like to ask about the cost of living in Amsterdam. My job requires going around the globe for a better offer. Im in England right now and theres a project in Amsterdam. I don't have an idea how much is the salary in Amsterdam so im going to based it on the cost of living. Its my first time to be paid in euros

How much do you spend in groceries, telephone, cable TV, internet. transportation. How much is the tax deduction for skilled workers., national insurances. etc.

i also need some figures in water and electric bills

Thank you,, it will help me decide if im going to accept the offer or not
Hi Utero,

difficult question to answer if you dont know any figures yourself about your wage.

Amsterdam is expensive to live (Dutch standards) but if you are earning London money, you will have no problem (I think)

A few things you queried :

Food prices are the same as the UK (south/mid) but if you must eat British, it can get expensive. Dutch cheese affordable, Cheddar not. Bacon expensive, most other meats the same or cheaper. I travel 3-4 times a year back to the UK, and load up on what I miss most.
Telephone & internet & cable can now be done as a package. A lot cheaper than the Uk, probably better quality, and faster internet with no limits. Some providers are up to 20mb with fairly standard packs, a cheap package with unlimited local calls, cheap international, 1.5mb & cable with about 35 channels costs at the moment about €50 per month (35 pounds approx)
Depending on your job, but plenty of firms pay mobile bills, internet, telephone or company car.
If you are coming as a professional, you will be earning above a certain bracket, which will take you into the private health sector. If you are alone, it will cost about €200 p.month.
For gas,electric, water etc I pay €200 p.month for a large 5 bed house in the Hague. I have 2 kids with computers, playstations etc, and my wife has a nail studio at home working 30 hours plus per week.

Tax is quite high (40%) and cars are not cheap (20% luxury tax on new) but you can always claim back on you tax return at the end of the year, and if you have a mortgage, you can claim back about 50/60% of the interest back either monthly of at the end of the year.

In Holland everybody gets holiday pay (1 extra months net salary in May/June) and quite a few people get a 13th month (extra months salary) in December.

In Holland pay packets are very much orientated on "perks" still.

If you can earn the same in Holland (or more of course) than in the UK, then you will have a comfortable life over here.

Hope this helps a little.

Anything else, just fire away.

Paul.

p.s. do you have kids/wife/girlfriend, because that can also benefit/change things.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

utero is an unknown quantity at this point

Huge thanks to you Paul.

Actually, Its four of us going to holland..so the situation will be like yours..your infos are perfect.

a bit sad about that 40% tax but good with the phone/internet side

Can i assume that you spend 400-500 euros for groceries /month? (or more?)

Now im ready to compare and compute the expenses. If you have other infos please let me know. I will deeply appreciate your help
Old Oct 24th 2006, 4:41 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utero
Huge thanks to you Paul.

Actually, Its four of us going to holland..so the situation will be like yours..your infos are perfect.

a bit sad about that 40% tax but good with the phone/internet side

Can i assume that you spend 400-500 euros for groceries /month? (or more?)

Now im ready to compare and compute the expenses. If you have other infos please let me know. I will deeply appreciate your help
groceries depend on your tastes/habits.

We eat and drink well and spend about €150.00 per week, but we dont really miss out on anything. for a bit less you can survive no problem, and if you dont drink then it will be easy on about 400.00

Beer & Wine is not expensive btw, & cigarettes are cheaper than the UK as well if you smoke.

The tax might sound hefty, but the benefits & perks quite often make up for it. You will also be eligable for child benefit, but if the kids are 12 or older, school fees & costs can sometimes add up, but again, quite a few firms with foreign employees pay for British speaking schools for the children.

Also while I think of it, clothing IMO is quite affordable compared to the UK. Plenty of choice it the middle of the road, but good quality clothing as well as obviously the designer names for top money.

paul.