Healthcare in Netherlands

Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

99sue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare in Netherlands

I am looking at the possibility of working for a large organization in the Netherlands.

I belive you have to have health insurance to visit the doctor and/or hospital.

I have a preexisting medical condition that requires a monthly supply of medical equipment, the question I am asking is do I have to pay or is it like the NHS in the uk where it is free for me?

I have emailed stomavereniging.nl and have had no reply it has been over a month.

My Dutch is very basic any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:35 am
Just Joined

ladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Healthcare in Netherlands

I hope I can be of some help to you seeing my English partner moved in with me and I have had to organize his health insurance as well.
Even though my partner does not have medical issues I do think the insurance is the same for everyone.

First off, National Health Insurance is pretty expensive in Holland. We all pay a monthly fee of around 100 euros a month, this can get more expensive if you add extra insurance (for instance, a higher dental coverage).
When you move to Holland and plan on staying for more than 6 months you need to get yourself registered as a citizen in the village/city you live in.
This will also give you a social security number (called burger service number in Holland).
With this you can register yourself online with a variety of insurance companies to cover your healthcare (main one is called AGIS but there are others around who might be a little cheaper or offer better cover for your personal situation). You will then receive the coverage card which is also valid worldwide.
This will give you the exact same rights as any other Dutch citizen ie. also the national healthcare service.
Every year however, the government sets an amount we pay as our own risk which means that for instance the first 200 euro we have as medical cost we have to pay for ourselves.

I hope this helps you!
All the best....
Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:51 am
Just Joined

99sue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick response, most interesting.
If I do go and work in the Netherlands it would be for a multinational company and I beleive part of the benefit's package includes helthcare.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

ladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the roughladyice is a jewel in the rough

You're very welcome!

Something that just came to mind is that insurers have to accept everyone, regardless of existing medical issues, in fact, I don't think they even ask when you apply.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:52 am
JGT
Brit in NL, moving back

JGT is an unknown quantity at this point

should be covered by your insurance unless it's super-exotic/luxury. check ohra.nl - they are wonderful...
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Basilito01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ohra is good, i'm with Menzies and also good, no problems so far.