Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

a few quetions on living in holland

a few quetions on living in holland

Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

swfc77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a few quetions on living in holland

im a 23 yr old construcion worker and have been offered the chance to work in holland which i am going to take. im not sure where it is yet as the agency is still trying to find me something, will be after xmas now i preaume. anway i have a few questions regarding living and driving in holland.

will i be able to drive with a british tax disk or do i need to purchase a dutch/european one (if they are used)

im looking to move to the south if i can, what is the standard of living like, would i be able to get some where nice (hotel or b&b) for around 20-25 euros a night.

i have been to amsterdam before but that was a weekend away and i would not want to work there as it was too expensive and i was hoping the other cities like rotterdam and eindhoven wouldn't be the same money wise.

i will be coming on my own and looking to stay for 6-8 months and maybe permanent if i find its better than the uk, are the people nice. in amsterdam we were treated as british tourist which doesn't sit well with most

any advice would be appreciated greatly, thank you for reading.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:57 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a few quetions on living in holland

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You can legally drive a U.K. registered car for up to 6 months (it is the about the same period for all EU countries) after which you must import and register the car in The Netherlands. You must not drive a car without insurance tax and MOT. So ensure the last two are for the period of the first 6 months. The problem will be is that U.K. insurance companies do not usually issue green cards for travelling in mainland Europe for more than a few weeks. So you have to shop around for insurance. Read your policy to see what is presently offered.
At the same time you will need to have your driving licence registered in the Dutch system. EU law states that you do not have to surrender it until the expiry date of your licence you have when registration in the county you are living in. At the same time as changing your registration of your car you will have to purchase Dutch insurance. The system for registering yourself and your car in The Netherlands are all linked.

Once you have found an area you want to stay in then look for the name plus VVV. The VVV is the tourist information office network for The Netherlands. They will either have a list on the website of accommodation or if you email them they will send you a list.
To work in The Netherlands you will need a Burgerservice (BSN) Note this used to be called SOFInummer.

You will also need to pay sickness and health insurance too.
This information is posted in the wiki, along with a website which helps calculate the cost of living.
Amsterdam and Rotterdam are relatively expensive locations, but you can find cheaper accommodations within these cities just like everywhere in the world. Other housing costs will be about the same.
You will also need to register yourself with the IND (coequally called the Foreign Police).
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Good luck with the job hunt.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Larkspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I would just like to add here

Make yourself aware of the time restrictions for swapping your British drivers licence to a dutch one.

I don't know if it is different in different areas of the country but here in Emmen I was quite surprised to find out that if you swap your licence within 12 months it was a straight swap but if you do it after 12 months you actualy have to take a dutch driving test.

I would also like to point out that some of Casa Santo Estevo's information is out of date.

You mare moving from the UK to The Netherlands so I am assuming you are a UK citizen and as such a citizen of an EU member state which means you do not have to register with the Foriegn Police (or alien police if you like) you can just move here and register your address with the local council just like dutch people have to.

Now from personal experience moving here from the UK

Car:

If I were you when you move here permenantaly I would sell your car in the UK and buy another one here. by the time you pay import duties, get the required mechanical inspections, pay for the re-register and then get an APK you are looking at 1500 Euro minimum in fee's so unless it is a really expensive car, which since you say you work in construction through and agency I will assume it is not, then it is not worth spending that kind of money to register it here. Plus insurance is considerably higher on a right hand drive car.

I found all this out when my mother wanted to give me a P reg rover 400 from the UK.

Documents:

Birth certificate, diploma's basically any official document except for your passport.

These must have what they call here an appostile (spelling?) attached or they are not classed as valid.

What is it is a piece of paper that is issued by the british goverment that certifies that the document is in fact genuine.

You need one for every official document and they cannot be issued here so if you do not get them before you leave you will have to send all of your documents back to the UK via courier will all the fees for each one. This can be very expensive.

Last edited by Larkspeed; Jan 5th 2011 at 10:22 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:30 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Larkspeed,
I am glad to see that someone else is on hand to post information.
I think you have been ill-informed about registering with the IND. You DO have to register with the IND.
I will change the link on the wiki when I have time. But if you go to this page ( I have given the English section) look at the right and click on “Brochures and forms”
On this page there is a link to a PDF “IND registration for EU citizens” which explains the process.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

ok well as a UK national who moved to the netherlands I can honestly say you DO NOT need to register as I have never done so and I do have a SOFI number and everything else you would expect to get.

and to quote the IND directly:

Registration is not compulsory, but may be handy
If you do not need a residence document, it may be handy to have a registration certificate. Some institutions (including the Tax and Customs Administration and banks) may ask for it. You can use it for instance to open a bank account in the Netherlands. You may apply for a registration certificate at the IND desk. For more information, see 'procedure'.

I chose not to do it becuase it costs like 500 euro and was not required.

The only time it is a problem is when you get some places with outdated systems asking for a residency permit. once we explain that it is not required we are able to do what we wanted.

so yes it can be handy but you DO NOT require it

Now I'm not saying that I am 100% correct Ican only tell you what the IND told me

I'm currently on hold with the IND to verify this

---edit---

OK I stand corrected

They did do away with the residency permit for EU member states. However they incorrectly informed me that I did not have to register with anyone.

This is what I was just told by a representative of the IND over the phone:

I do not require a residency permit.

I am required to register with the IND which costs nothing and gets me a sticker in my passport saying I am IND registered. This is a simple form to fill in and provide proof that you can support yourself it also requires a visit to the nearest IND office which in my case is Zwolle.

I also have the option since I have lived here for more than 5 years to apply for an identity card for 41 euro which gives me the right to do everything except vote. (this option for me is better since it means I would no longer be legaly required to carry my UK passport everywhere I go)

So there you go that is how it stands as of the date of this post

Last edited by Larkspeed; Jan 5th 2011 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:20 pm

I don’t wish to argue with you but if you want to correct me than please look at the information I have given.
If you read paragraphs one and two it clearly states you should register and the reasons why. There are exceptions again this is given in the document. In your case perhaps you should note in paragraph 2 the IND also state if you are married to a Dutch national you are also required to register.
The document also quite clearly states the application process.
I assume this is the latest information about registering as this website was updated in the last days of December 2010.

SOFI numbers have not existed for quite a few years now.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I don’t wish to argue with you but if you want to correct me than please look at the information I have given.
If you read paragraphs one and two it clearly states you should register and the reasons why. There are exceptions again this is given in the document. In your case perhaps you should note in paragraph 2 the IND also state if you are married to a Dutch national you are also required to register.
The document also quite clearly states the application process.
I assume this is the latest information about registering as this website was updated in the last days of December 2010.

SOFI numbers have not existed for quite a few years now.
And had you read my edit you would have seen that your last post was not needed
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:08 pm

But with only 2 mins difference I could not I had already written it and was about to send it when you do the edit.
Sometimes the forum acts slow to when posting.

Can you post your experience about importing cars please.
Where did you have to pay taxes on the car what changes you had to make steps in the Documentation porcess would be good for other posters to read about. I did not import a car when I moved to NL and there is very little about this subject on this forum.