Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Enschede – is it only women that meet up?

Enschede – is it only women that meet up?

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:24 pm
All New and Nowhere to go

aarhusblack is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Enschede – is it only women that meet up?

Dear All,

I would like to quickly introduce myself, having recently relocated to Enschede – in the far east of the Netherlands. I recently found myself moving here, a place and country I never thought I would ever move to; for a job in a company that I found rather exciting and interesting. I really do enjoy my job and to be honest feel weirdly settled about the prospect of living here.

The only problem is: I am struggling with the social thing! My colleagues seem to be very private and that leaves me kind of lost when I want to just talk to normal people about normal things (not work).

It appears that there is a very active ladies group in Enschede, which I believe is only for women, I’m curious, is there anything that is open for all to join in with?

I don’t speak much Dutch but can get by with some of the Scandinavian languages and can, I think, understand German. Being a Brit, I try my best with English too!

Would love to hear from anybody in the area with any good thoughts – I’ve never posted before and am a wee bit nervous!

Looking forward to life in Enschede,

-Mo.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:54 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enschede – is it only women that meet up?

Originally Posted by aarhusblack
Dear All,

I would like to quickly introduce myself, having recently relocated to Enschede – in the far east of the Netherlands. I recently found myself moving here, a place and country I never thought I would ever move to; for a job in a company that I found rather exciting and interesting. I really do enjoy my job and to be honest feel weirdly settled about the prospect of living here.

The only problem is: I am struggling with the social thing! My colleagues seem to be very private and that leaves me kind of lost when I want to just talk to normal people about normal things (not work).

It appears that there is a very active ladies group in Enschede, which I believe is only for women, I’m curious, is there anything that is open for all to join in with?

I don’t speak much Dutch but can get by with some of the Scandinavian languages and can, I think, understand German. Being a Brit, I try my best with English too!

Would love to hear from anybody in the area with any good thoughts – I’ve never posted before and am a wee bit nervous!

Looking forward to life in Enschede,

-Mo.
Hi there Mo,

When I first came over I was 21 and just spent a lot of time in bars close to where I worked and just got chatting with the locals (in English)

They have no problem speaking English in general, they just expect that after some time (6-12 months) that you start to make some attempt to understand and maybe even speak some Dutch.

There are also plenty of British or Irish pubs in Holland. They always have a lot of expat regulars. If you like Rugby, maybe you could see if there are any local clubs, they also tend to attract expats. These are quite good methods of finding other expats.

I'll have a quick google, and maybe I find some info for you. Unfortunately I live in Den Haag, so thats not exactly round the corner.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

mathieup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Enschede – is it only women that meet up?

Dear All,

I 'm really pleased to discover this british expact site on the internet. I 've just find a job in The Netherlands in order to be closer to my girlfirend. I will move from France to the Hengelo-Enschede area at the beginning of June.

I really hope to meet some english native speakers to share my experience abroad and to improve drastically my english skills. Even if people overthere seem quite fluent in english, I wish to be part of a native speaker group to improve the good way.

I'am also looking for any contacts to have some social activities (a drink, sport or music).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mathieu