Dual nationality - GBR/NLD

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

GBRNLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dual nationality - GBR/NLD

Hello, I would be most appreciative if you could point me in the right direction as to dual GBR - NLD nationality.

I was born to a NLD father and a GBR mother. As an adult I currently hold British nationality but have been increasingly thinking about applying for a NLD passport.

From what I've read online it appears that the Dutch are not too keen on dual nationality and if I were to apply for an NLD ppt I may need to give up my GBR nationality, which I am not keen on doing.

Could anyone shine any light on dual nationality for me and any pros/cons they can think of?

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 25th 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality - GBR/NLD

You don't have to give up your UK Passport or your nationality.
NL likes to be awkward about many things, such as forcing you to apply for a residence permit when you are an EU citizen and making you pay for it as well.
If you are a Brit and want to marry in NL it's also made unnecessarily awkward.
The argument about dual passports will continue for years.
As an EU citizen you can keep your original nationality no problem.
Anyone telling you that you must surrender your UK passport is ill informed.

All the bureaucracy was introduced by Napoleon .. luckily he didn't make it across the channel.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look here for some more information: Dual Citizenship Netherlands

Originally Posted by calman014
If you are a Brit and want to marry in NL it's also made unnecessarily awkward.
I experience no awkwardness or problems here. We registered our intention to marry at city hall and 4 months later got married, never once was my nationality a challenge here.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends a lot on the "Gemeente" where you live. Some of them have some warped ideas about what is compulsory and what isn't, even though you are well protected as an EU citizen. If there were no problems or complications then you were one of the lucky ones.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

The only request was that I provide a declaration from the British consulate that I was not married, only the consulate do not provide this anymore as they have no way of knowing if you were married for example in Afganistan or Zimbabwae. Just a simple template letter explained this to the gemeente.
they did remark that they don't often marry someone up here in frisland who is not Dutch!
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBRNLD
Hello, I would be most appreciative if you could point me in the right direction as to dual GBR - NLD nationality.

I was born to a NLD father and a GBR mother. As an adult I currently hold British nationality but have been increasingly thinking about applying for a NLD passport.

From what I've read online it appears that the Dutch are not too keen on dual nationality and if I were to apply for an NLD ppt I may need to give up my GBR nationality, which I am not keen on doing.

Could anyone shine any light on dual nationality for me and any pros/cons they can think of?

Thanks for your help!
Applying for a passport does not confer citizenship - citizenship is required to obtain a passport. Providing your father and mother were married at the time of your birth then you are likely already a Dutch citizen.

If you have never held a Dutch passport then the difficulty may arise depending on where you were born, where you have been living until now and how old you as Dutch nationality law contains provisions for Dutch citizenship to be removed from Dutch citizens born and residing abroad who have never made a claim to Dutch citizenship by applying for a passport or other proof of Dutch citizenship.

Wikipedia has an article that goes into this in some depth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_...ch_citizenship