Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Moving to Netherlands soon (Help!)

Moving to Netherlands soon (Help!)

Old Aug 22nd 2017, 10:59 am
Just Joined

EddieEren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Netherlands soon (Help!)

Hi All,

I am currently trying to plan a move to the Netherlands. My wife is dutch she had difficulties getting used to living in the UK hence why we are moving now. We will moving to Deventer as my in laws are there.

I have a degree and masters in Cyber security, I have over 3 years experience in the industry, so I think I will not have too much difficulties finding a job, however there are some things that are scarying me, or maybe I just need some clarification.

- What way is the best way in finding a job in the Netherlands? through Expat agencies or using sites like funda.nl or linkedin and so on?

- The medical care for an expat.

- TAX ruling on Expats.

I will truely appreciate if someone can briefly explain the the things I should do from a LAW and processes point of view, prior my move and during my move.

Thank you in advance.

Eddie
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 12:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Netherlands soon (Help!)

If you move to the Netherlands with your wife you will be a resident of the Netherlands, not an "expat", so your health insurance will be the same as for your wife, and you will lay tax on your income as your wife does, .... and you will cease to pay tax in the UK, unless you have investment property, for example if you rent out your home.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pulaski,

thank you for your prompt reply and the information provided. so is there anywhere I should register before I go to the netherlands?

Or shall i go to the local authority when I am in Deventer and ask how to proceed from there?

Kind Regards

Erdem Eren
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 1:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EddieEren
Hi Pulaski,

thank you for your prompt reply and the information provided. ....
You're welcome.
so is there anywhere I should register before I go to the netherlands?

Or shall i go to the local authority when I am in Deventer and ask how to proceed from there? ....
You don't need to do anything ahead of arrival, but from what I have read (having not lived in the Netherlands myself), you register with the townhall when you arrive/ have found somewhere to live.

We have a few active members in the Netherlands, so hopefully one of them will be along soon with some more specific advice.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Try indeed.nl for jobs.

Much will be determined on your status in UK, what you 'left behind' or if you will become normally resident in NL.

Please also send me a PM. (Personal Message) via the forum.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Incidently, one of the conditions of obtaining the 30% tax ruling is that you are recruited from abroad.

https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/living...percent-ruling

The iamsterdam is quite useful for newcomers, as is this one: https://www.government.nl/topics/new-in-the-netherlands
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the advice. My partner is also doing some research, so see where it gets us.

Kind Regards

Eddie
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by calman014
Try indeed.nl for jobs.

Much will be determined on your status in UK, what you 'left behind' or if you will become normally resident in NL.

Please also send me a PM. (Personal Message) via the forum.
I own a couple rental properties in the UK, so I will be paying TAX in the UK too. I will send a PM shortly.

Regards

Eddie

Last edited by EddieEren; Aug 23rd 2017 at 7:49 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Incidently, one of the conditions of obtaining the 30% tax ruling is that you are recruited from abroad.

https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/living...percent-ruling

The iamsterdam is quite useful for newcomers, as is this one: https://www.government.nl/topics/new-in-the-netherlands
I have just read the article on the links your have sent. that was good information, I understand the whoole ruling now, however for me to be entitled to get 30% Tax ruling I will need to find the job when I am still residing in UK. is that correct?

Regards

Eddie
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EddieEren
I have just read the article on the links your have sent. that was good information, I understand the whoole ruling now, however for me to be entitled to get 30% Tax ruling I will need to find the job when I am still residing in UK. is that correct?

Regards

Eddie
Yes, technically you need to be recruited from abroad and achieve above a certain qualifying salary (2 rates dependent on age).

You can transfer the allowance if you move between jobs, if the second job qualifies/is the same or better level and salary requirements, but you only have a max 4 months to do this or it's lost.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:03 am
Just Joined

WelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to beholdWelshMedic is a splendid one to behold

Hi Eddie,

Things ma have changed since I arrived here (24 years ago) but your wife may also be required to provide proof of her means to support both you and herself during the first six months. What I am sure of is that you will need to have a lot of patience. The Brits can be bureaucratic but the Dutch have made a sport out of it.

I promise you, though, it will be worth it in the end..

Carl