Decisions, decisions…

Old Jul 10th 2017, 6:35 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decisions, decisions…

Just back from a short weekend break in Gilze/Tilburg, where OH and her sister had organised a family reunion last Saturday. As it was a brunch/activities/dinner event, I had time to chat with most of the Dutch side of the family, and I suspect that the bush telegraph had been at work as more than one person said “I understand you’re trying to choose between moving to NL or BE”. Most said much the same as calman014 (swings and roundabouts), but the most illuminating chat was with an uncle and aunt, both Dutch, who had lived in Antwerp province for a few years. And their take just backed up GeniB’s advice – it’s Antwerp all the way. And for the same reasons; more house for the money, the villages outside the sprawl of Antwerp – certainly to the North – are good value for money, not too crowded etc.

In an earlier post I said that one has to add around 25% of house purchase price in additional charges in BE; that’s false, I can’t remember which website I got that “fake news” from, but in reality it’s closer to 17% + EUR1000 assuming that the property is at least two years old.

So that’s done it, we feel that it’s going to be BE after all. On Sunday we came back from Gilze to Antwerp, but instead of hammering down the highway we took a couple of hours ambling through some of the villages based on recommendations received the previous day. I then came home via Zaventem leaving OH in situ for a week or so to visit some Immo people and lay out our requirements, not forgetting eating curry-wurst and frites, doubtless.
Mid-afternoon today my email inbox started thudding, typical subject heading “House in Essen/Kalmthout/Malle/wherever”. We have at least a year to find a suitable place, so no pressure.

Thanks again to all who posted on this one.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest problem with Antwerp (city) area are now the frequent traffic jams which appear to be getting worse.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 11:53 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
Biggest problem with Antwerp (city) area are now the frequent traffic jams which appear to be getting worse.
Indeed, exacerbated by the project to replace the Antwerp ring; it's already no longer a ring and it will get a lot worse over the next few months. Few months? Who am I kidding? This is a massive project.

We would plan any city trips outside of hours or use public transport. We have less reason to go into the city itself on a regular basis, as our favourite restauranteer - also part of the extended family - has relocated to Mortsel.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:01 am
Gloves off

Back onto the deep pockets, short arms thing...

Following the family event in Gilze we had finished supper and despatched the bulk of the guests, leaving six of us who were overnighting in the hotel. We six then retired to a secluded terrasse for nightcaps. After two rounds we had established exit plans for the following morning, and seeing that it was now 23:15 we decided to call it a night. I stood, saying I'm off to the bar to settle this account.

I didn't exactly get killed in the rush of others saying "no, it's mine" or even "I'll split it with you". The bar bill was about 50% of what I would to expect to pay here in CH.

When I came back to the table, OH whispered "told you that you Scots would never do better than a silver medal"

Old Jul 18th 2017, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy

I didn't exactly get killed in the rush of others saying "no, it's mine" or even "I'll split it with you". The bar bill was about 50% of what I would to expect to pay here in CH.

When I came back to the table, OH whispered "told you that you Scots would never do better than a silver medal"

Haha - love it! Welcome to the Dutch sense of fairness. Of course, you're now their new best gullible friend and will be invited to all future events - you'll never be lonely. Sometimes they get their calculators out (or smartphones with app).
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:45 pm
Gloves off

We {gulp} did it. We had asked sis-and-brother-in law to check out a couple of interesting properties - the first was no good, the second had definite potential.

We shortlisted a few more and took off about three weeks ago to view for ourselves. The first property we saw was the one that had originally received good reports from the family; some works to be done, but not all needed at the same time. After seeing a couple more properties, we decided that by then we were just 'going through the motions' so we cancelled the rest of the appointments and made an offer which was turned down. We then increased the offer slightly and this time it was accepted!

Contracts have now been exchanged, deposit paid, and we take possession in early January which will give us 9-10 months to knock it into shape.

We're going in to Brasschaat, which is about 15km to the north-east of Antwerp central.

Once again, thank you to all who chipped in on this thread, and I hope to get out of your hair now.

Cheers,
Bob
Old Sep 14th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Bob Wishing you happiness in your new home
Old Sep 14th 2017, 9:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We {gulp} did it.
Wahoo.

New adventure .

Once again, thank you to all who chipped in on this thread, and I hope to get out of your hair now.

Cheers,
Bob
Erm . Nopes.

We will need updates.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 7:04 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by BEVS
Erm . Nopes.

We will need updates.
Ma'am, yes ma'am!

All I was meaning to say was that I would now stop polluting this very friendly sub-forum with stuff that is irrelevant to NL.

Anticipating a lull in our activities for a couple of months, I will start a thread in the parent forum with the incredibly imaginative title of 'Belgian sub-thread'.

Or some similar wickedly amusing title.

But, only yesterday OH received a cold-call from a Belgian number - "Hello, would you like some insurance for your new house?"

I thought that cold-calling had been outlawed? Apart from here in CH, that is. Here it's as rampant as ever.

There will also be another thread coming soon in the parent forum along the lines of "Do you have an electric/battery powered ride-on lawnmower? If so which? Would you recommend it? Where did you obtain it?"

Kind of thing...

Cheers all,
Bob
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Ma'am, yes ma'am!

All I was meaning to say was that I would now stop polluting this very friendly sub-forum with stuff that is irrelevant to NL.

Anticipating a lull in our activities for a couple of months, I will start a thread in the parent forum with the incredibly imaginative title of 'Belgian sub-thread'.

Or some similar wickedly amusing title.

But, only yesterday OH received a cold-call from a Belgian number - "Hello, would you like some insurance for your new house?"

I thought that cold-calling had been outlawed? Apart from here in CH, that is. Here it's as rampant as ever.

There will also be another thread coming soon in the parent forum along the lines of "Do you have an electric/battery powered ride-on lawnmower? If so which? Would you recommend it? Where did you obtain it?"

Kind of thing...

Cheers all,
Bob
Well! well done to you Bob... what did I tell you (she says smugly.).

. I see you HAVE plumped for millionaires row... Brasschat !! 67 Dutch Millionaires lived there at the last count when we left 6 yrs ago...Don't get too upset if the neighbours don't talk to you..afraid Belgians are known for their extreme caution with strangers. (no surprise given what that country has gone through in the past) Just smile and be friendly yourself. It took me three yrs to learn Dutch,(flemish) that they speak in that neighbourhood .They are always pleased when you try,that gives you an 'in' to get you started
My mouth is watering at the thought of the food,The exquisite chocolates found at Guy Pas in the border town of Turnhout...(the best in the world) The fantastic restaurants in Antwerp.... heh ho...Good luck and enjoy
Old Sep 24th 2017, 11:35 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by GeniB
...I see you HAVE plumped for millionaires row...
Although parts of Brasschaat are indeed to be considered as affluent, we have opted for a modest house in a modest area, mostly due to the fact that OH hasn't yet won Euro Millions.

Thanks for the Guy Pas tip - could turn out to be yet another reason not to have to venture too often into the big city, our favourite chocolatier being Del Rey, just off De Keyserlei.

Originally Posted by GeniB
It took me three yrs to learn Dutch,...
I'm still looking at some options here.

Group course - tried this when I first came to CH to bolster my French; it was the most affordable, but often quite frustrating.

One to one - this turned out to be the best for me.

Online - didn't exist when I came here, but I am about to give it a go.

A propos, @Mods

Broken link (at least for me) on the Wiki Netherlands - Lifestyle ): British Expat Wiki

Free online course to learn Dutch.

site 1
site 2 <- broken link
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am not sure what you mean .

Anyone wishing to add to the BE Wiki may do so. You can do this.

Doing the @ thing does not alert any BE mods. I just happened upon this post as I am subscribed to your thread.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Although parts of Brasschaat are indeed to be considered as affluent, we have opted for a modest house in a modest area, mostly due to the fact that OH hasn't yet won Euro Millions.

Thanks for the Guy Pas tip - could turn out to be yet another reason not to have to venture too often into the big city, our favourite chocolatier being Del Rey, just off De Keyserlei.

I'm still looking at some options here.

Group course - tried this when I first came to CH to bolster my French; it was the most affordable, but often quite frustrating.

One to one - this turned out to be the best for me.

Online - didn't exist when I came here, but I am about to give it a go.

A propos, @Mods

Broken link (at least for me) on the Wiki Netherlands - Lifestyle ): British Expat Wiki

Free online course to learn Dutch.

site 1
site 2 <- broken link

Don't know Del Ray ,unless it's the corner shop one that makes the famous Antwerp 'hands' Chocolate ones filled with raspberry cream .Antwerp means 'thrown hand' The legend being of a giant who fought another and a severed hand being thrown in the river Schelde and forming the city of Antwerp...or something like that
My youngest D loved the horses head ones...grizzly girl (those came from Guy Pas)
If you find yourself bored on a wet Sunday,drive towards Turnhout and stop off in Neerpelt , drive through the woods surrounding it.. Take a 'kijk' at the homes of the millionaires !! Athena Onassis has a pad somewhere around there Horse mad. enjoy
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:14 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by BEVS
I am not sure what you mean .

Anyone wishing to add to the BE Wiki may do so. You can do this.

Doing the @ thing does not alert any BE mods. I just happened upon this post as I am subscribed to your thread.
Ok, understood, thank you.

I am loathe to edit other people's good work, so I'll just add a comment alongside the link that no longer works.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you are looking to learn or improve, the site you need is oefenen.nl (practice.nl)

On the first level you will see Taalklas - a free resource - among the suggestions, which focuses on all areas: reading, writing, listening, speaking. It was the one I followed with my ' Dutch volunteer 'buddy (ask at the library if they do this in your area).

https://oefenen.nl/programma/niveau/1

There are five levels on Oefenen.nl and I confess not using them beyond level 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.