Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Cultural differences between the British and Dutch - a student project

Cultural differences between the British and Dutch - a student project

Old May 27th 2015, 11:36 am
Just Joined

matthew07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Cultural differences between the British and Dutch - a student project

Hello all,

Along with my project team, I’m doing a short paper on cultural differences that British expats experience while working in the Netherlands. We’d like to ask expats working in the Netherlands, or folks that have otherwise dealt with the Dutch in professional circumstances a few questions.
What are the most apparent cultural differences between the Dutch and the British?

According to the cultural dimensions as defined by Hofstede, British and Dutch culture differs the most in three areas: masculinity (vs. femininity), uncertainty avoidance and long-term orientation (vs. short-term orientation).
Masculinity vs. Feminity. British culture values traditional male qualities, such as competitivity, assertiveness and ambition, whereas the Dutch value female qualities such as modesty, compliance and solidarity. Is this true in your opinion? Why or why not? How does this relate to cultural differences in the office?

Furthermore, Hofstede claims the British have a higher tolerance for uncertainty and ambiguity, at least compared to the Dutch. As such, the Dutch value rules, laws and regulations in order to minimize this uncertainty and ambiguity. In addition, the Dutch are also said to be more emotional, whereas the British are more pragmatic. Is this true in your opinion? Why or why not? How does this relate to cultural differences in the office?

Finally, Hofstede states the Dutch are more long-term oriented compared to the British. As such, the Dutch would attach more importance to the future, and value persistence, saving and capacity for adaptation. The British, on the other hand, attach more importance to the past and present, and value steadiness, respect for tradition, preservation of one's face, reciprocation and fulfilling social obligations. Is this correct? Is this true in your opinion? Why or why not? How does this relate to cultural differences in the office?
We thank you very much in advance! You would really help us by sharing your thoughts on this with us!

Kind regards,

Tim and Damy.
Old May 27th 2015, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural differences between the British and Dutch - a student project

"The British" ? Which ones. ? Regional and class differences invalidate any attempt to talk about "The British". Do you want us to believe that a banker in the Home Counties, a bus driver in Liverpool and a sailor in Aberdeen have similar traits simply because they are all subjects of Her Majesty ?
Old May 30th 2015, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural differences between the British and Dutch - a student project

Originally Posted by scot47
"The British" ? Which ones. ? Regional and class differences invalidate any attempt to talk about "The British". Do you want us to believe that a banker in the Home Counties, a bus driver in Liverpool and a sailor in Aberdeen have similar traits simply because they are all subjects of Her Majesty ?

Quite agree..This seems to be one of those fairly pointless exercises beloved of the Universities

Just as there is no such thing as a standard British person.Neither is there a standard Dutch person. My OH has worked with all levels of Dutch citizens during the 30 yrs we lived and worked there,and I also met all types during my time on the board of an International Womens Club. Attitudes differed widely according to the educational,social and economic background of the persons involved.

What we did observe ? The Dutch are indeed conformists,they live by the rules and don't like to be different.Although they also insist that everyone has a say before any decisions are made.Something which drove OH mad in meetings,Decision making can therefore be tedious ,time consuming ,and often arrive too late..They are intolerant of inaccuracies in all area's but especially with their language,They won't feel at all embarrassed to correct you multiple times over a mispronounced word..whilst Brits happily allow awful language gaffs to pass-grateful that people speak English however badly.
We were made aware of how much we relied on manners in our society.Our idea of manners did not exist in Dutch society,they wait for very little,a red light maybe.The don't queue! They didn't used to hold open doors for next person,altho I have noticed thats changed of late.They are outspoken and will tell you exactly what they think..I could go on but fear I am off the remit now
Old May 31st 2015, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP.
You may wish to take note of the site rules - paragraph 10 / Research.