British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/)
-   -   commuting to and from Amsterdam for work.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/belgium-netherlands-luxembourg-105/commuting-amsterdam-work-559394/)

Hamster Sep 4th 2008 8:30 am

commuting to and from Amsterdam for work....

Hello again people (sorry for all the threads :o)

How realistic is it to be commuting to and from Amsterdam for work on a daily basis from a smaller city close by? Does anyone else do this?

I have looked at two examples:

Between Haarlem and Amsterdam is about 15 minutes at a cost of about 6 Euros (return)

Between Leiden and Amsterdam you can get a bus for 2 euros!!

Dutchie Sep 4th 2008 8:37 am

Re: commuting to and from Amsterdam for work....

Originally Posted by Hamster (Post 6747310)
Hello again people (sorry for all the threads :o)

How realistic is it to be commuting to and from Amsterdam for work on a daily basis from a smaller city close by? Does anyone else do this?

I have looked at two examples:

Between Haarlem and Amsterdam is about 15 minutes at a cost of about 6 Euros (return)

Between Leiden and Amsterdam you can get a bus for 2 euros!!

Hi Hamster,

Where in Amsterdam will you be working? And €2.00 from Leiden to Amsterdam is a mistake. A good hint or website:

http://www.9292ov.nl/

Unfortunately in Dutch, but fairly simple to fill in.

Van = Departure place
Straat = Street name
Huisnr = House number
Naar = destination
Adres = Address
Treinstation = Train station
Datum = Departure date
Tijd = Departure Time
Vertrek = Departure
Aankomst = Arrival

And most Dutch employers reimburse you for travel costs (It's a Dutch law)

Dutchie

Hamster Sep 4th 2008 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 6747345)
Hi Hamster,

Where in Amsterdam will you be working? And €2.00 from Leiden to Amsterdam is a mistake. A good hint or website:

http://www.9292ov.nl/

Unfortunately in Dutch, but fairly simple to fill in.

Van = Departure place
Straat = Street name
Huisnr = House number
Naar = destination
Adres = Address
Treinstation = Train station
Datum = Departure date
Tijd = Departure Time
Vertrek = Departure
Aankomst = Arrival

And most Dutch employers reimburse you for travel costs (It's a Dutch law)

Dutchie

Thanks for that!

unfortunately I dont know yet where in Amsterdam I will be working....just wanted to get an idea of time and costs. However If my employer pays for travel or at least contributes to it (as you mentioned above), that should make it easier.

Just trying to explore all my options before I make the move...

Hamster Sep 15th 2008 8:45 am

I just thought I would bump this thread again sorry .....is there anyone on here that commutes to and from Amsterdam for work? which city do you commute from and what's your experience with it?

thanks!!!

Kynk Sep 30th 2008 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Hamster (Post 6784470)
I just thought I would bump this thread again sorry .....is there anyone on here that commutes to and from Amsterdam for work? which city do you commute from and what's your experience with it?

thanks!!!

I commute from Utrecht to Amsterdam every day by train and it's fine for me :) It takes 20mins to get here and the trains run every quarter of an hour.

My employer pays for my travel. I pretty much always get a seat and it gives me time to wake up in the morning/wind down on the way home

Hamster Oct 1st 2008 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Kynk (Post 6832232)
I commute from Utrecht to Amsterdam every day by train and it's fine for me :) It takes 20mins to get here and the trains run every quarter of an hour.

My employer pays for my travel. I pretty much always get a seat and it gives me time to wake up in the morning/wind down on the way home

Hello Kynk!

thanks for your reply. I am still deciding on whether to live in or out of Amsterdam. The main reason for living outside was for the better choice of studio flats for less money and also some very nice places like Haarlem that I might like to live. I lived in London for about 10 years and it always took about an hour to get to work so 20 minutes really isnt much. I guess if your employer pays for it, that helps also.

How is the commute for going out in amsterdam until late at night?

Kynk Oct 1st 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Hamster (Post 6834662)
Hello Kynk!

thanks for your reply. I am still deciding on whether to live in or out of Amsterdam. The main reason for living outside was for the better choice of studio flats for less money and also some very nice places like Haarlem that I might like to live. I lived in London for about 10 years and it always took about an hour to get to work so 20 minutes really isnt much. I guess if your employer pays for it, that helps also.

How is the commute for going out in amsterdam until late at night?

I lived in Amsterdam for 3 months but I much prefer Utrecht. I pay slightly less than Amsterdam prices for my apartment in centrum but to me, there's no contest. And if I want bright light city I can get there and back any time day or night.

During the daytime, there's trains to Amsterdam every 15mins and if you're coming out of a club at the crack of dawn, at least every hour. Ideal :)

Not sure what kind of a party animal you are but for me it was important to live in a city where the transport connections were great. Utrecht never really sleeps and it's practically in the middle of the country. I can trek it to a party in the middle of nowhere and still get home on a Sunday.. ;)

Hope this helps