Can you speak Dutch?

Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:44 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you speak Dutch?

Originally Posted by THR
........ What I've heard from the Dutch side is that it is perfectly possible to live in the Netherlands and lead a full life without being able to speak any of the local language because the locals are too eager to flaunt their skills at English......
That is not quite true. But you have to have lived in The Netherlands to understand why not.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:53 am
Just Joined

tomasa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in Netherlands. Dutch is really difficult to learn
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Starseed
A lot of funny and helpful remarks here. I think you have to just take it slowly, accept that people are going to speak English to you a lot. But they do appreciate the attempts to speak Dutch, and I've found them very willing to answer "wat bedetet....in het Nederlands". Luckily I did German "O" level at school, taught the classic grammatical way, which is a great foundation, a flying start for Dutch, which I'm learning from the grammatically based "Hugo - Dutch in Three Months" ( Three months!!!!!! Imagine!! )
ik heb dit boek. het is goed!

Not sure I will be able to speak fluently in 3 months though!!

I find it difficult the order in which sentences are written.. a lot different to english.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice

We went over to test the water for jobs and stuff last week, and a financial recruitment agency told my partner that a company may send him to south of holland to a convent to learn dutch with nuns and it is a 6 week intensive course. Where exactly is this? Has anyone heard of this before? I met up with my dutch friend while I was there and she had heard of a convent where you learn dutch but didn't really know any more..
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:57 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mishimoto
We went over to test the water for jobs and stuff last week, and a financial recruitment agency told my partner that a company may send him to south of holland to a convent to learn dutch with nuns and it is a 6 week intensive course. Where exactly is this? Has anyone heard of this before? I met up with my dutch friend while I was there and she had heard of a convent where you learn dutch but didn't really know any more..

When you say south of Holland, do you mean the province of South Holland, or the country known as The Netherlands? If the latter how far south? Limburg North Brabant or Zeeland?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not quite sure, all that was mentioned was in the south.. this is what I want to find out, where it is.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:45 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mishimoto
I'm not quite sure, all that was mentioned was in the south.. this is what I want to find out, where it is.
An ex colleague of mine went to the nuns to learn Dutch, (cant remember where it is, but it is very well known in Holland) and it is an intensive normally week long course, and is very effective in learning the language.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:49 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Found it.

The Regina Coeli institute in Vucht.

http://www.reginacoeli.nl/index.htm
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for very much for this!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by furkew
Found it.

The Regina Coeli institute in Vucht.

http://www.reginacoeli.nl/index.htm

Sorry it is Vught...We think you have been out of the old country too long!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:08 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

A fellow eating lunch on Sunday and chatting away with his family had me intrigued -- very noisy restaurant, and I couldn't place his accent. His English was British in style and accent but sometimes not perfect.

Sure enough he had a Dutch mother, an English father, grew up in the Netherlands and went to boarding school in England! There is supposedly a Dutch department at our local big state uni, but taking courses will have to be postponed until my own eldest is at uni, if then -- no time.

We had a good chat, though, the men speaking Dutch, the wives understanding varying degrees of the conversation.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:53 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Btw, are there a lot of different accents in the Netherlands? It is a small and very compact country with short distances but one could expect that with 16m people there are still variations in the speech.

And of course, there are the Belgians on the other side of the border who speak the same language but call it something else. They surely speak the language in a completely different dialect.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:10 pm

Different accents yes, but a lot, no.
Friesland even has its own language.
Some Belguims speak Flemish, which has the same grammar as Dutch, but has its differences just like British English and American English.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Rumpole is an unknown quantity at this point

Worked in Heerlen (Zuid Limburg) for several years. I found the Limburgs dialect almost impossible to understand.

However my Dutch (non-Limburgs) co-workers were also unable to comprehend the dialect and I am sure the locals used it as a way of keeping the outsiders out (since they could speak perfectly good standard Dutch!).

It has always amazed me that for such a small country the Netherlands has so many regional differences.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:14 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Different accents yes, but a lot, no.
Friesland even has its own language.
Some Belguims speak Flemish, which has the same grammar as Dutch, but has its differences just like British English and American English.
It will surprise you the amount of different accents in Holland.

I lived in Delft for quite a while, but also lived and worked in the Westland & Aalsmeer for many years. The last 7 years in Den Haag.

They are all within 20/30 minutes of each other, and the difference in accents are very noticeable. Een echte Westlander (a real westlander) is almost impossible to understand if you dont know the accent.
I myself spoke with a number of different accents thrown together(prenunciation of certain words) varying from Amsterdams/Haagse/Westlandse & Delft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.