Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Buying an apartment instead of renting upon move

Buying an apartment instead of renting upon move

Old May 8th 2015, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

MeanwhileInHell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying an apartment instead of renting upon move

Hi all,

My wife and I are considering moving to Amsterdam in the near future. We have been looking at the price of rentals in Amsterdam and they are extremely high, around 2000-3000 euros a month (forgetting deposits, agency fees and bills). However, we have seen that the price to buy properties is relatively low in comparison.

Has anyone else gone down the buying route instead of renting when the first move over? Is it even possible due to the restraints of getting a bank account initially? Or can you buy a property ok without being resident?

Thanks!

EDIT: Just as an addition, we have two dogs that we would be bringing, and I presume finding a rental property that allows animals would be quite difficult, or add to the deposit cost etc.

Last edited by MeanwhileInHell; May 8th 2015 at 1:56 pm.
Old May 8th 2015, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

MeanwhileInHell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying an apartment instead of renting upon move

We are also considering perhaps renting further outside of the centre of Amsterdam, somewhere like Haarlem. Much lower rents and bigger properties. Might be worthwhile while we are settling in, with a view to buying during the first year.
Old May 13th 2015, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Zahida88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I did also look into moving to Amsterdam to begin with. I agree the rental prices are way too high.

However I looked into Rotterdam and the rental prices are not too bad. Away from all the hubbub of tourists and there also seems to be quite a lot of greenery surrounding Rotterdam.

Good luck with everything!
Old May 14th 2015, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're looking at rental agencies targetted specifically at expats for that price range. Few expats pay more than 1500 unless their company is footing the bill. You don't have to go that far outside the ring to find more affordable properties. Try jaap.nl or funda.nl, and put in your maximum budget to see what comes up. There are also plenty of housing pages on Facebook where you can find fixed period rentals - but property is highly sought after in the centre and it moves quick. One word of advice: make sure you can register at the property!! This is essential if you are working here and need to open a bank account, get a BSN (tax) number, phone contract, etc.

It's not difficult to find accommodation which allows pets; it's very common here.

I would strongly advise renting at first; and talk to Dutch colleagues about their buying experiences. Houses here are built differently, and sit on the seabed so you need to be very thorough in your investigations relating to possible pitfalls and costs - especially in Amsterdam where they can be 400 years old, and subject to a tenants cooperative for building maintenance or leasehold costs.
Old May 16th 2015, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Property market is different. Do not expect it to be the same as England.
Old May 20th 2015, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Netpon is an unknown quantity at this point

I would rent at first so you can get to know the areas and property styles. Dogs are generally not a problem, we got turned away from one property because of it but have rented 2 different houses since then with no problem
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Consider buying a houseboat.
They're slightly cheaper than apartments and you have no abutting neighbors.
See Amsterdam long term rental index (no rentals available, despite the page title)
And if in future you want to let it out, the rules are much easier than for apartments.
If you own a modest apartment, you can't let it out without ceeding it to the tenants permanently.
Old May 24th 2015, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

LDvandenBerg is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I've seen it's quite difficult to buy a house in Amsterdam. Indeed, prices are low, but to get the mortgage: that's where the problems come in.

I recommend renting before buying. Also, take a look at Amstelveen/Oudewater. Lovely places nearby Amsterdam.