Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Netherlands

Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:08 am   #1
Just Joined

halesvd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BSN?

Hi there
The place I'm living at tells me that a BSN number is not the same as registering as a citizen and I am very confused as I know registration is mandatory. Please tell me what's the difference between registering with the GBA and getting a BSN.
Kind Regards
halesvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:17 am   #2
vote to get Ian back

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by halesvd View Post
Hi there
The place I'm living at tells me that a BSN number is not the same as registering as a citizen and I am very confused as I know registration is mandatory. Please tell me what's the difference between registering with the GBA and getting a BSN.
Kind Regards
http://www.access-nl.org/living-in-the-netherlands/moving/registering-for-a-bsn.aspx
petitefrancaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:22 pm   #3
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSN?

A BSN is the dutch equivalent of a National Insurance number in the UK.

Registering with the Gemeente (GBA) is similar to going on the electoral role, but is a mandatory requirement, and is your entry on a database system that is shared by all government departments (from health to taxation).

That is the difference. I registered in the days when you had to go personally to the tax office to get your BSN (or SOFI as it was known back then) and had always thought it was an automatic part of the form-filling/registration process, but recent posts on here seem to indicate otherwise.
Red_Wine_Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Netherlands