Brompton

Old Feb 27th 2014, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of
Default Brompton

Hello

I know this is a long shot but since Netherlands has a huge population of cyclists, I think I might get a good response posting my question here.

I am looking at getting a Brompton.

Has anyone tried commuting on that 12-15km each way (home to office) ?
how would one find it in humidity of 84% and 30 degree Celsius all year round? I am in Singapore and would be riding it in Singapore.

My research shows that the route is well covered by relatively flat plain connectors so I am sorted in that respect. But I heard the brompton is slow ?

If you are doing something similar, I would love to hear your views !
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:57 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brompton

Why use a folding bike when you do not have to catch a train?
Keep it simple purchase a Dutch bike it will blend in with the rest.
Where have you heard that The Netherlands has
humidity of 84% and 30 degree Celsius all year round?
???
or have you just cut and pasted this question with a few changes?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

No, no.. Let me clarify:
I am in Singapore. I am getting it to ride in Singapore. It is hot and humid all year round here.

Reason I am posting in the Dutch section of the forum: small cycling population in Singapore and I m not getting much info by way of research from asking around for weeks.

Reason for a foldie: the weather is often hot and rainy - I want the flexible option of mixed commute mode; also I hate losing my bike - I could stow the foldie under my desk. There is little bike parking facility in the office area where I work. we have a "bike gym" where you can park and rent lockers, etc, but it is expensive and adds to ongoing costs of owning a conventional bike.

But for the investment in a brommie, before I buy it, I want to know if anyone has found it alright to ride a 12-15km distance each way on it.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

hi all,
I found the answer (I think !) ... 12-15km on brompton entirely possible, but would be looking at sweaty 1hr commute which leaves then begs the question on showering.

I will just post this here in case. Someone might find it useful in future !
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:02 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

RE showering some companies have facilities others do not. Some companies also have grants for purchasing bikes and equipment, others do not. Just the luck of the draw.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Superman28 is an unknown quantity at this point

DONT DO IT!

Brompton is a nice little gadget, but thats about it.
Practically commuting more than 300 meters down the road is going to be painful. There are a number of reasons why you should NOT be using a Brompton.

1) It will get stolen
Brompton is on the number one hot list for bike crooks, they are good and can be away with your bike in less than 60 seconds. NO MATTER WHAT LOCK YOU HAVE, even the German ABUS high ranking motorcycle lock. If they want your bike its gone.

2) Brompton is NOT made for off road cycling, and by off road I dont mean hills and mountains I mean cobble stone pavements, if a woman in high heels doesnt want to walk on it, you can be sure neither does the brompton bike.

3) Its slow. compared to real mountain bikes its super slow and flimsy.

4) They look silly, if your over 6ft tall you will look silly on one, no matter what frame you chose.

Dont do it is my advice.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Which planet do you come from, Superman ? LOL.

I have taken up cycle training with a coach and observed commuters of all sorts, including brommie commuters who are doing it across the same route.

In fact, I am wondering why so many are not doing it. It is a beautiful ride overlooking the financial district on the connectors. (no traffic) 7am /7pm ride deals with the heat.

As for the pathments, they are well suited for those city bikes. So off road cycling ???? Hmm. Connectors are better to ride than roads. If you cannot ride on connectors, you can't ride. Period.

The brommie could do 10-15 km neat. sure it is not made for speed like a racer, but it is ideal for city commuting. So I am not sure where the 300m thing came from..

Also the bike folds up and gets stowed under my office desk. Nice. If you hate losing your bike, a foldie is the way to go. The brommie wins hands down on its compactness.

Most conventional bike commuters who had their bikes stolen switch to the foodie after suffering 1-2 thefts. Think about that.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

By the way, 10-15km on city roads with a mountain bike is equally slow !