Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Is British driver's licence valid in Holland?

Is British driver's licence valid in Holland?

Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is British driver's licence valid in Holland?

Just to add; just read the DVLA web-site. One of the things that require you to renew your UK licence is if you change address. The requirement to use your UK licence in another country is that it must be a "valid UK licence"; my friend is a Dutch Police traffic officer, I just asked him .......... he just said "en" (and), followed by a long pause; I suspect they have bigger fish to fry than old ladies with a 30 year old paper EU licence.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 3:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
Just to add; just read the DVLA web-site. One of the things that require you to renew your UK licence is if you change address. The requirement to use your UK licence in another country is that it must be a "valid UK licence"; my friend is a Dutch Police traffic officer, I just asked him .......... he just said "en" (and), followed by a long pause; I suspect they have bigger fish to fry than old ladies with a 30 year old paper EU licence. ....
Until she is involved in a fatal traffic accident, when the police will suddenly get very interested.

Driving licences are a bit like car insurance - totally unnecessary until you have an accident, but then, in both cases, it's a bit late to fix the problems you now face!
Old Jan 21st 2017, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Until she is involved in a fatal traffic accident, when the police will suddenly get very interested.

Driving licences are a bit like car insurance - totally unnecessary until you have an accident, but then, in both cases, it's a bit late to fix the problems you now face!
Yep, explains his "and" question when I asked him. I suspect that had I added your bit to the end of my question, I may have got a different answer, but the Dutch National Police don't seem to have much interest in poor administration, only crime. I suspect that I would have got a comment about the "k*tt*n in de wijken".

As I explained earlier; when I moved to Holland and registered at the Gemeente, a new Dutch driving licence was part of the process; strange that it wasn't the case in regards to the OP - perhaps she never registered !!! Now it's getting interesting.