BBC iPlayer in Europe

Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BBC iPlayer in Europe

Just thought I'd share this, as I regard it as quite a find.

No doubt may of you will already know this but if you want to watch BBC iPlayer, ITV catchup, etc here in the NL you are blocked. The way around this is to get a VPN service based in the UK then connect to that before starting iPlayer.

For a few years now I have been using a service called UKiVPN as they were the cheapest around. I have now found a service that is not only considerably cheaper but also more reliable.

Hideipvpn.com

They do offer some free accounts but they are quite hard to get hold of. For $55 (About €40) per year you can have unlimited access to all UK terrestial output. If you want to you can subscribe for a month at a time, this costs $6 p.m.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

brianc_li is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BBC iPlayer in Europe

Well all I can say is that I have used them several times a week for some time now without the slightest problem. Hence my recommendation.

I don't know about the particular service you mention but I have had various issues with other 'free' services such as the download attempting to place spyware on my hard drive and bombarding me with ads.

To me its a small price to pay.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

LexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really nice

Tried a few free server solutions before but they often disappear once the Beeb or whoever gets onto them with a complaint.

As a result I have become an affiliate for a VPN company who do have a perfect solution and for $6 per month I can enjoy TV etc from many countries including the USA.

I haven't tried Expat Shield yet but I'll give it a go and see what it's like.

Lexy.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

My friends use Expat all the time it is free and good coverage...they are tight with thier money maybe it is because of the financial crisis!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

LexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really niceLexyCon is just really nice

Well I've downloaded and tried this software you advise but I may be doing something wrong because when I start it up it takes me to a page: http://www.mefeedia.com/anchorfree but I can't seem to access the iPlayer there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lexy.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 8:29 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LexyCon
Well I've downloaded and tried this software you advise but I may be doing something wrong because when I start it up it takes me to a page: http://www.mefeedia.com/anchorfree but I can't seem to access the iPlayer there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lexy.

Question like this should be asked in the Lab. It may be a clash with something else you have on the PC. or is it a MAc?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Hedonistic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive used Expat shield in the past. It works but you do get annoying advertisments. I solved that by switching to firefox after starting it up and using the adblock add-on to block them,,,worked pretty well.....
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:35 pm

terje is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd also recommend Expat, it's worked for me well
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

ACDT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianc_li

No doubt may of you will already know this but if you want to watch BBC iPlayer, ITV catchup, etc here in the NL you are blocked. The way around this is to get a VPN service based in the UK then connect to that before starting iPlayer.

For a few years now I have been using a service called UKiVPN as they were the cheapest around. I have now found a service that is not only considerably cheaper but also more reliable.

Hideipvpn.com

They do offer some free accounts but they are quite hard to get hold of. For $55 (About €40) per year you can have unlimited access to all UK terrestial output. If you want to you can subscribe for a month at a time, this costs $6 p.m.
Do you know of any other providers?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:31 am
Just Joined

antonjw is an unknown quantity at this point

i use StrongVPN.com.

pay about €40 per year for a UK VPN.

it also gives you the option to switch to a US IP address, which i've found handy for watching Prem football on ipad (can't get naughty sopcast streams + Sky's iPad app subscription way overpriced).

number of switches per month limited to about 5.

and it works so well that i bought a second package which i have set to the US, so i switch on the device rather than on the StrongVPN website.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:49 am
Just Joined

britToAussie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've posted this one before:

http://www.libertyhero.com/

They have a Free version which is fine for web browsing and making sure that the program worked on my computer.

For iPlayer, I upgraded to Premium, but it's cheap and always very fast.

Last edited by britToAussie; Jul 31st 2011 at 8:57 am.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

colin_44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by antonjw
i use StrongVPN.com.

pay about €40 per year for a UK VPN.

it also gives you the option to switch to a US IP address, which i've found handy for watching Prem football on ipad (can't get naughty sopcast streams + Sky's iPad app subscription way overpriced).

number of switches per month limited to about 5.

and it works so well that i bought a second package which i have set to the US, so i switch on the device rather than on the StrongVPN website.
I havent tried Strong VPN mainly because i am signed up with another VPN provider, Whatsonthebox VPN. I can switch between servers as many times as i want each month.

However antonjw i am interested to know what sites you use to watch premiership football on the US IP address.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Greenyplanet is an unknown quantity at this point

If you use firefox browser there is an add on caled Foxy Proxy that`ll allow you to watch iplayer etc.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0101 is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also get a sattelite dish. 60cm will be sufficient to pick up on the freesat channels on astra 2d.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:10 am
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brianc_li

Hideipvpn.com

Always used www.***************** since i've been abroad, good service and they are based in the UK as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.