Apeldoorn?

Old Aug 14th 2005, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

CJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Apeldoorn?

Hi, newbie to this forum.

Hubby has been asked by his company to relocate to Apeldoorn. We know nothing about it. Anyone got experience of it? Would our lack of Dutch make life difficult?

Thanks,
CJ
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Apeldoorn?

We lived for 5 years in Holland and it is no Problem at all because most Dutch people speak English...TV don't get dubbed, so they just to English...

Just see you are from Glasgow....maybe you will have a problem
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
We lived for 5 years in Holland and it is no Problem at all because most Dutch people speak English...TV don't get dubbed, so they just to English...

Just see you are from Glasgow....maybe you will have a problem

How thick is your Weegie?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJ'n'BJ
Would our lack of Dutch make life difficult?
Not at all. Lots of english speaking people are living in the Netherlands and get by very good without ever learning one word in Dutch.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Not at all. Lots of english speaking people are living in the Netherlands and get by very good without ever learning one word in Dutch.
Have you heard a Glaswegian accent? *I* have a hard time with it. But that sadi, doing anything in writing would be fine and the people you're around a lot will get used to the accent.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:53 am
Just Joined

CJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the roughCJ'n'BJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Have you heard a Glaswegian accent? *I* have a hard time with it. But that sadi, doing anything in writing would be fine and the people you're around a lot will get used to the accent.
Our accent & dialect can be as thick or thin as we like!!

Do I detect a certain irritation with Glasgwegians in Austin? I do hear they're taking over out there....
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:06 pm
Lapine Member

Our accent & dialect can be as thick or thin as we like!!

Do I detect a certain irritation with Glasgwegians in Austin? I do hear they're taking over out there....
:P no I love Weegies, especially my friend who has adopted Glasgow as a home, though he's from Northern Ireland and has *that* accent. Makes me weak in the knees and if I listen too long I'll start to speak in it!

(you heard of Snow Patrol? I just gotta ask)
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny

(you heard of Snow Patrol? I just gotta ask)
Of course! One of the hip Brit bands of the moment. And I think one of them is from Glasgow. In fact, think that's where they started recording....but don't quote me on that.

CJ
Old Aug 17th 2005, 4:26 pm
Lapine Member

Of course! One of the hip Brit bands of the moment. And I think one of them is from Glasgow. In fact, think that's where they started recording....but don't quote me on that.
errmmmm sort of. Two of the current members are Scottish, the other three from NI. They're friends of mine, and yes, started their recording career in Glasgow. That's where the "snow" part of "snowbunny" comes from.