Another new one...

Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Darna_Moon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another new one...

Hello All!

I'm yet another new one here, joined with hope of getting some help, support & friendship from some like minded people.

I'm planning to move to the Alkmaar region in April, going to be moving in with my boyfriend for 6 months at first. We should be moving down to Utrecht after a few months. Have been planning this for a few months now and things are starting to come together.

Very worried about getting a job over there as I speak little to no Dutch. I'm learning as much as I can, but its slow. Hoping I can find some sort of work to fund a lang course to help me along.

I have a ton of questions about visa's and jobs and pet passports (my lovely cat needs to come with) floating round in my head, muddling along the best I can. Does anyone fancy pointing me in the direction of a thread thats covered all this before? Any kind words of encouragement are appricated, to be honest they are needed right now!

Darna
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:28 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another new one...

Utrecht is a great city.
Moving from the U.K. to The Netherlands should prove easy regards your personal requirements. We take it your boyfriend is Dutch and will show you how to register at the town hall etc.
Look at the first posting on the following thread. It has a link to a web site which gives links and all the information you should need.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420757
Finding work with out the native language in any country is difficult. What is your present job? Computer skills are easy to move around, for example.
Ian found the language difficult so now we are here in Spain.
If you look at the DEFRA web site you will find more information about taking your cat to The Netherlands. However if you find the information not so clear they have phone number and the folks on the other end are more than helpful.

Other will hopefully post here too.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:35 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another new one...

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Utrecht is a great city.
Moving from the U.K. to The Netherlands should prove easy regards your personal requirements. We take it your boyfriend is Dutch and will show you how to register at the town hall etc.
Look at the first posting on the following thread. It has a link to a web site which gives links and all the information you should need.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420757
Finding work with out the native language in any country is difficult. What is your present job? Computer skills are easy to move around, for example.
Ian found the language difficult so now we are here in Spain.
If you look at the DEFRA web site you will find more information about taking your cat to The Netherlands. However if you find the information not so clear they have phone number and the folks on the other end are more than helpful.

Other will hopefully post here too.
Dont worry Irene, i'm still lurking out here

have a good read and check out some of the links, any questions just let me know.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Dont worry Irene, i'm still lurking out here

have a good read and check out some of the links, any questions just let me know.
I hope you keep lurking after you have moved ;-) it will be a lonely forum without you.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:18 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I hope you keep lurking after you have moved ;-) it will be a lonely forum without you.
dont worry.

Im a natural born lurker
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:50 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking of moving back to The Netherlands. So maybe we’d be able to help.
Nice house Paul ..but too expensive for us.
All we need now is a job for Ian!

PS JDR, are you not lurking?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:26 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
We are thinking of moving back to The Netherlands. So maybe we’d be able to help.
Nice house Paul ..but too expensive for us.
All we need now is a job for Ian!

PS JDR, are you not lurking?
Thanks.

It goes on sale officially this week, but we already have a second couple coming on Wednesday, so fingers crossed.

Why are you looking at moving back ?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Captain Canuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ferkew, Darna_Moon, Casa, fdr, and everyone else! I am so grateful to have found this forum because my wife and I are seriously comtemplating relocating to the Netherlands (town 30 min out of of Amerstdam) from Toronto, Canada, and we are desperate for advice from friendly, knowledgeable people.

I am a soon-to-be chiropractor (graduate in June) and I am in negotiations with a Dutch chiropractor seeking an associate. I LOVE Holland, been there twice, but I really don't want to make any hasty decisions that I will regret later. I have heard the Netherlands is extremely expensive, but everyone I talk to has a different opinion.

I am being offered a starting salary earning approx. 42,000 Euro in my first year. Will this afford us a reasonable lifestyle in the Netherlands? I realize this is a broad question, but I have no context in which to assess whether we will be able to live comfortably or not. My wife is a lawyer and she may or may not work while we are there, a lot depends on how we are managing financially. I checked out www.xe.com/ucc/ to calculate how much that translates into Canadian dollars, and it converts to $64,000 CAN.

Can anyone offer me advice as to whether 42,000 Euro (gross salary) offers a reasonable, or even comfortable lifestyle? We're not big spenders, but we would like to sock away some savings to pay back student loans!

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!! Thanks....

Chris and Holly
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replys! Nice to see people out there! Post again soon when I have more time!

Thanks again!

Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Hurrah! So far all going ok!

Have managed to sort out Pet Passport (which is going through as we speak)! Have had a nice (if standard) reply from Undutchables about looking for work. And clearing though all my stuff is going nicely. Also handed in my notice at work. No turning back now!

Random question... does anyone know. When I report to the goverment office for my Sofi number, I've been told it would be a good idea to get a residency visa too, to help get a bank account. Does anyone know what I need with me/to do to get one of these?

Thanks a milion!

Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

radicalbyte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darna_Moon
Very worried about getting a job over there as I speak little to no Dutch. I'm learning as much as I can, but its slow. Hoping I can find some sort of work to fund a lang course to help me along.
Language hasn't been a problem for me, but I work in IT. You can't work in IT without speaking English ;-)

As for learning the language, don't go mad if it goes slow. My experience was the same - the courses in England were woeful. Linguaphone is also ancient and poor.

Buy yourself a copy of the Van Dale Dutch-English dictionary. It's the best, though it is expensive.

You can follow a dutch language course at most unis. They're not cheap - to become fluent you need to complete two day courses, which cost 960EUR each plus 160 EACH for books. Beware they're only in Dutch. So you need the dictionary. Oh, and they start twice a year - Feb and September. I'm two weeks into my course, and am impressed - very well structured.

So budget 2500EUR for the courses, over either one or two years (two years if you're doing them in the evening).

Your boyfriend'll be able to do most of the other stuff for you..

EDIT: Undutchables are useless c***s, they'll fob you off unless you're available to work immediately. Just apply for jobs on monster.nl, do the cover in dutch but explain your situation.

EDIT: Your boyfriend needs to help you with the residency. You *MUST* do this, iirc you won't get a sofinummer without it. You just need to go to your local town hall, with your boyfriend. Take all your proofs of ID (and his). Ask for the 5-year residency, or you'll have some problems in 3months if you haven't found a job. Get your boyfriend to ask about it.

Last edited by radicalbyte; Feb 18th 2007 at 10:02 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Ok, thanks for all the advice. I'll talk to my boyfriend about it all .
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Why a problem in 3 months ?
If she is an EU citizen, she is able to live and work legally anywhere in EU, or have they changed the rules again ?
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:31 am
Just Joined

radicalbyte is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a permit for 3 months, you may get interviewed when you want an extention. If you can't prove that you're employed or can support yourselve, they'll deny you the residency.

Hasn't happened to me as I registered as a permanent resident, but it happened to my brother-in-law's colleague. Who is German. Or maybe they really do hate the Germans, proving my other argument wrong
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by radicalbyte
If you have a permit for 3 months, you may get interviewed when you want an extention. If you can't prove that you're employed or can support yourselve, they'll deny you the residency.

Hasn't happened to me as I registered as a permanent resident, but it happened to my brother-in-law's colleague. Who is German. Or maybe they really do hate the Germans, proving my other argument wrong
Why do you need a permit ?
If you are an EU citizen you dont need a residencia to live in Europe, or has The Netherlands got its own rules ?
In Spain only non EU citizens need a permit to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.