Anne Frank Museum

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

jinglergolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anne Frank Museum

We are going to be driving up to Amsterdam in May from Bruges to see the Anne Frank Museum will it be easy or would it be better to park the car at the Ferry Port and get a taxi or a bus into the city. We are leaving from the ferry port at 5-30 in the evening and booked into the museum at 12-20.?
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

DataGhost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anne Frank Museum

It's not entirely clear to me what you're asking. Which ferry port are you referring to exactly?

Consider also that the train service in the Netherlands is quite good (despite what some Dutch people say) and may be another option for you to consider if you want to avoid the traffic around Amsterdam. You can find schedules and prices on the www.ns.nl website.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:01 am
Just Joined

jinglergolf is an unknown quantity at this point

We are leaving from the Ferry port at Amsterdam would it make sense to take the car there first and get a bus into town. We are driving from Bruges to Amsterdam going to the museum and then home too Newcatle on the ferry.

Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:18 am
Just Joined

DataGhost is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't made the journey you propose, but I think that if I were to I would consider my options based on the day of the week I was travelling.

If it is a (mid)weekday out of commuter hours I might take the car in and park it in Amsterdam, as you'd have the car with you anyway.

On a weekend or busy time I might take the bus to Haarlem and then the train to Amsterdam Central Station and walk or take a tram or bus to the Anne Frank House from there. Public transport will take you the better part of an hour from IJmuiden but it might be cheaper and quicker than parking the car in A'dam. Have a look at 9292.nl for bus/train times.

I don't know if there's anyone around here on the forum who can give you better advice based on their own experience, but whatever you choose to do, I wish the best of luck and a very nice time in Amsterdam.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

karij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nicekarij1980 is just really nice

We've parked the car at Diemen a couple of times, then its only a 15 minute train journey to Centraal
Old Jan 25th 2014, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

This is a list of park & ride locations in/around A'dam:
http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/expe.../park-and-ride

I also suggest to contact them:
http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/pages/Contact

Tell the exactly when you come because around late April/early May there a few public holidays and traffic could be disrupted. I suggest you avoid traveling during some Royal holidays as everybody goes mad.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be aware that the ferry port is in Ijmuiden, which can be a 45min drive or so. Also, although the ferry leaves at 5.30 you should be checked in and on board by 4.45pm I think.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd personally leave the Anne Frank museum for a weekend trip.

Ijmuiden, as other say, is far away from Amsterdam centrum, and public transport needs to be checked on a website for off-peak maintenance, which won't be advertised by NS until a couple of weeks beforehand. Taxis are very expensive here compared to England - VERY! (count on over €100 each way). It's possible that a 12.30 visit would end on time and you'd be back on time for the ferry, but I personally wouldn't count this one small museum as worthy of such a detour when you're on a tight schedule and in danger of missing your connection.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

triplepistolets is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dont mind paying 30EUR in parking costs just take the car, saves you the trouble of getting to the ferry port by public transport (not as easy as it used to be). On a weekend-day you dont have to worry about traffic to Ijmuiden (from the city-centre a 40 minute ride if you know the way), bar road-works of course.

So, park the car in the city, visit the museum, have a coffee and leave at 4 for the ferry. (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Het+...66!2d52.463191)