Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Advise on volunteering in Netherlands

Advise on volunteering in Netherlands

Old Jan 20th 2015, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Bellemae is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advise on volunteering in Netherlands

Hi People,

I'm considering volunteering in Amsterdam for 2/3 mouths in the summer, I wondered if anyone knew if volunteering would count as working and would I need to take a trip to the local town hall to resister , OR could I just come over as if it was a holiday.

Advise please, I've heard different things from people and I'm getting a bit confused!

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on volunteering in Netherlands

There is a lot going on right now with changes to the social security system which makes the whole "volunteer" thing complicated.

- Why Amsterdam? Do you have contacts there?

- What kind of volunteer work?

You'd be better to come over for a week or so and do some research first.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise on volunteering in Netherlands

Do you mean would it count as working in terms of benefits (answer lies with the benefits system of the country you're moving from, and for the short term, that would be the UK), or do you mean would a future employer count it as work experience? Unless you come into contact with the Dutch authorities, you could remain as a tourist for 2/3 months(but that will leave you unable to earn money, claim benefit, open a bank account, etc). Just make sure you get your free EHIC card before you come - that's essential as we don't have universal healthcare here, and you don't want to be stuck with bills.

Do you have a specific volunteering job in mind? I'm asking, as there aren't that many available for non-Dutch speakers, for obvious reasons (certainly working with vulnerable groups, most won't speak English). You also need to consider where you would stay: accommodation in/around Amsterdam is scarce and expensive. I know of one christian organisation that offers young people from around the world the chance to stay together and help with their volunteer activities, but not sure if that's the kind of thing you are interested in (or qualify for)(or if the dates they offer would tie in with your summer plans).