Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

advice from expats on their experience learning Dutch

advice from expats on their experience learning Dutch

Old Sep 5th 2015, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice from expats on their experience learning Dutch

Originally Posted by old wanderer
I've found out over the years that not being able to speak the local language was certainly a disadvantage. Before moving to Holland I was working and living in Montreal, in a completly French area. In a supposedly Bilingual city the amount of people who could not understand English was truly amazing. Moving to the Netherlands was a completly different experience. Many years ago i worked with a Brit who had lived in the country for 19 years and could not speak one word of the language. English is used so much here like the large offshore engineering company, where I worked before retirement, all e-mails and even meetings were held in English. It is possible to live here without learning the language but one certainly misses out on a lot of the culture.
Quite agree wanderer. It's a sad reflection on us Brits that we often come across as complacent when it comes to other peoples countries and language.If we don't like it when people can't speak English in the UK.why should they accept it in their own country.It's just plain manners to learn the native tongue if your living there..That said I had to smile at your story about Canada and Montreal That was a case where learning the politics of a country was vital.My Scottish friend moved there during the period of deep unrest between the French speakers and the English speakers. One moment she was happily speaking English in her job the next she was told 'only French or she would be fired' I remember large companies moving over the border to the USA because of all the hoo hah. It was quite hysterical to her as she spoke fluent classical French which the natives couldn't understand as they spoke a pidgin form It's still rife in Belgium to this day.. lord help you if you live in a walloon area and speak Flemish
Old Sep 6th 2015, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Lord help you if you live in Cheltenham and refuse to learn English ! Or if you speak a variety of English that is not RP !
Old Sep 7th 2015, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

SuperNova is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of you have been in the NL for such a long time. I think if I was living there I would definitely pick it up quicker due to immersion. I have met some Dutch people who don't speak English or speak very little English.. although not many I was still surprised.
I have to surround myself with Dutchies that speak little English - I got told off by a bar maid for trying to speak Dutch when I should just speak English! It was funny because I wasn't trying to speak Dutch - I just recognised a word she said 'klein' so copied her.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

old wanderer is on a distinguished road

Supernova.... If you set mind to it, its actually easy. When I came to the country I thought this a language that I'll never understand (guess where the saying "its all double Dutch" came from). Getting people to speak to you is a great help plus a good course in Dutch. In the 70's we returned to my home town of Newcastle for a couple of years and my wife even got used to the Geordie accent!! Must have been her language skills as apart from the five she speaks she's also tried Italian and Danish. Listening to Nick Clegg speaking Dutch was interesting as he speaks like a native (his mother is Dutch). So give it a try and you will amaze yourself.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt it by speaking it; not perfect, but I've never had a Dutch mother correcting me every time I get something wrong (that's how the Dutch do it), but I do have a Dutch wife, so that helps. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
I learnt it by speaking it; not perfect, but I've never had a Dutch mother correcting me every time I get something wrong (that's how the Dutch do it), but I do have a Dutch wife, so that helps. Don't be afraid to make mistakes.

You've got it in one there Cynic 'Don't be afraid to make mistakes' How many times have ex-pat friends said they don't try because of that! We could even sort them into nationalities. lol. The Americans-totally refused to speak the language period. and most annoyingly the Dutch cut them the most slack.totally enthralled by them.The French. NO... The English..hmm usually not,too reserved,shy or actually arrogant in some cases. The Scandinavians yes they would learn if they thought it was worth it.pragmatic like the Dutch -if it was only a short stay.why bother.Germans- NO. Eastern Europeans- yes

Best approach-humour! and charm. I felt persecuted in the early yrs and wondered why everyone seemed surly and rude to me.I realised that I very rarely ever smiled. I started to smile and the world changed overnight.