Accommodation Help!

Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Crackerjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommodation Help!

Hi Im from Northern Ireland, moving to Amsterdam in Jan. I have a new well paid job and have scoured the usual sites for apartments, and looked at most of the sites mentioned in other posts so far.

Can anyone help with advice on finding somewhere for a short term (i.e. 1-3 months). Most of the agencies have 6 month minimums, want 2 months rent as a refundable deposit, and charge a months rent as commission! So if i take a place at 1200 euro a month, id have to pay out over 4800 euro before setting foot in the place!

There do seem to be a few for the direct to owner rents and much cheaper but advice from others ive been given has been to avoid this as not secure etc. I guess im wanting to know if this is really the case. Im just back from 3 yrs in Sydney and found this the best way to begin with.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:03 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation Help!

I am glad to see you have opened a new thread. You posting will not get lost so easily hopefully someone else will be able to respond. But the rules are that no one can advertise here.
Anyhow I don’t know if this website is any good. It is linked to a Dutch newspaper called De Telegraaf. Readers can add their properties to the listing. Hopefully you can read some Dutch. JAPP
Seeing that you want a short rental maybe you could look at renting a holiday flat. It would be easier. Just be aware that the law does not cover you if things go wrong. Most Makelaar will not entertain such a short rent but you can always try them.

PS about your other post...........I had to ask about the dollar symbol, because sometimes someone posts on a forum and they have not got the right symbol for the money. Like I do not have a U.K. pound sign.( I do know I could your alt……)
Old Dec 10th 2010, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Crackerjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Casa

Thanks for your help. Would you (or anyone) know what the Rhine area (Rijnbuurt) is like? I have been offered a one bedroom apartment of my own there, the price is great and its very clean and modern inside. Just want to know what the areas like, is it safe, is it full of social housing, are there any pubs or cafes or shops or anything of interest there!?

Thanks!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:48 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I personally do not have any experience of living in Amsterdam, but my Dutch is OK so I done some searches for you.
The following information is in Dutch, if you do not read the language try to use Google translate to get some idea of what has been written.
The area is quite large so you may find that some streets are a bit better than others. It seems to be an area of low income.
Honest option by the local council. Here
Some statistics on housing.
More statistics
I also looked on line though some Dutch newspapers for stories about eh area. Nothing significant came up. But I could not do a search for indviual roads etc.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:03 am
Just Joined

saj1011 is just really nicesaj1011 is just really nicesaj1011 is just really nicesaj1011 is just really nicesaj1011 is just really nicesaj1011 is just really nicesaj1011 is just really nicesaj1011 is just really nice

hi, i might be able to help and coincidentally I am from Northern Ireland ! I will PM you.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:34 am
Just Joined

s.woods is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saj1011
hi, i might be able to help and coincidentally I am from Northern Ireland ! I will PM you.
My mate has just pulled out on moving with me to amsterdam in jan so im now moving myself and im looking to share a flat for maybe 6 months untill i can get on my feet maybe longer though.
preferably with someone who smokes weed or does not mind the smell but this is not a big factor (theres always coffee shops if you cant smoke in the house)
i will also be moving without a job so far but i know i will be able to find a job in a city in a week.
Im an electrician to trade but im wanting to try something new like work in a coffee shop lol. i know this is realistic because i know of a guy from my town who has done this . im really willing to try anything once im in work mode so finding a job will not be a problem.

If you are interested in a flat share mate pm me, i think it would cut the cost of bills