Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

"You must be mad to move back here"

"You must be mad to move back here"

Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

mississippi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "You must be mad to move back here"

We're moving back too - well my husband is from the UK - not us, but comments from his parents are along the lines of "it's a mistake", "it's not a good idea" etc. But you know reading a few of the replies you got to your question has made me feel better - we don't need to justify especially to people who have never lived outside of the UK (and my OH is the only one in his entire extended family to have lived outside of the UK). We know why we are going to live there, and if we decided it's a mistake, then that's our decision alone.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Get them to spend 2 years in Oz, then they will realise.
Oh good one..living here (in Perth) I can heartly agree.....send everyone over to Perth and within a couple of years....they will be all saying "get me on that plane back to the land of the living etc"!!!!!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mississippi
We're moving back too - well my husband is from the UK - not us, but comments from his parents are along the lines of "it's a mistake", "it's not a good idea" etc. But you know reading a few of the replies you got to your question has made me feel better - we don't need to justify especially to people who have never lived outside of the UK (and my OH is the only one in his entire extended family to have lived outside of the UK). We know why we are going to live there, and if we decided it's a mistake, then that's our decision alone.
My parents say to me..'don't come back, it will be a mistake'.

But they have never lived anywhere except the UK. They wouldn't last 2 minutes in another country, even on holiday they are always glad to get back home. So why they say this to me is very amusing. Anyway, i never paid any attention to what they say
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mississippi
When we went back to the U.K last year towards the end of our holiday we had all made the decision we were returning home...everybody we cared about were over the moon.(to tell the truth everyone was great)...the only exception was my Dad...he loves coming to visit us in Perth although his last visit he did say it's the same old things to do...which for my dad was "out there" anyway we have told him..he just text's saying..oh it's still windy.cold..etc...that kind of thing...but my dad...has already booked to go to Germany in August, Spain in Oct and New York in June....now my dad had the chance to retire over in Aus...he is very "well off"....not that I benefit from that....ha ha...but hechoice was to stay in the U.K with his family and friends and his wonderful social life...Aus does look good on a holiday (well for some)...My dad is getting better though when I point out things like holidays,friends,family etc that we miss all of those things...I said to him the other day "If Aus is so great why did'nt you come to live here?"...the reply....he has a great lifestyle in the U.K........
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
My parents say to me..'don't come back, it will be a mistake'.

But they have never lived anywhere except the UK. They wouldn't last 2 minutes in another country, even on holiday they are always glad to get back home. So why they say this to me is very amusing. Anyway, i never paid any attention to what they say
Just said the same thing about my dad.......but if we don't go home it will be a mistake....for us......as we are sure our two boys will be off asap..and we would be left here in a place we have no great attachment to....no thanks...we miss to many things at home to want to stay...the good things out weighs the bad things in the U.K...anyday to our life here in Perth.........no disrespect to anybody who ejoys life here in Perth/Aus....it really is just not for us anymore
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

mississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking to an English friend earlier today who is married to an Australian and they moved to Australia two years ago. I told her of our intention to go back to the UK and she couldn't understand why (but then she's got a $25K swimming pool hehehehe).

I find it amazing that I have to offer reasons for our decision to relocate back to Blighty, both to family and friends in the UK and friends here. I've yet to find someone who has anything positive to say. That's why I like this forum because there are people who actually do view the UK in a positive light.

Oh well time to get my two out of their very shallow bath - the joys of living with level 6 water restrictions!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I'd stand more chance of being killed by one of these kn*bhead Canadian drivers here than I would running into trouble with "yobs" back home. However....I'm STILL having trouble getting my hubby around the idea of going back
Exactly, I've never seen such carnage on the roads as in Canada. I'd be far more worried than being involved in a crash in Canada than being attacked by some weedy little yobs in England
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

with regards to people being astonished and commenting as to why you come back and they have never been to australia,the same thing happens in oz when you tell people{aussies} you are going back to the uk,"why do you want to return to that shitty little country" is a usual response and yet they have never left oz.
there seems to be this idea that australia is complete utopia,aussies believe it and i think most of us did before we lived there.
i believe that only people who have walked in our shoes,who have lived in oz or another country can make an informed comment on life in uk or overseas.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
with regards to people being astonished and commenting as to why you come back and they have never been to australia,the same thing happens in oz when you tell people{aussies} you are going back to the uk,"why do you want to return to that shitty little country" is a usual response and yet they have never left oz.
there seems to be this idea that australia is complete utopia,aussies believe it and i think most of us did before we lived there.
i believe that only people who have walked in our shoes,who have lived in oz or another country can make an informed comment on life in uk or overseas.
I think we need a new political party of returnees who launch an attack on the Daily Fail and its ilk which are determined to drive the poor old country into the ground. We need a GREAT Britain campaign and start espousing its positives instead of the general cr*p that people go on with. People dont know what they've got until it's gone! Time to stop apologising for being the best country in the world I reckon.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:57 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
I have mentioned it to aussies that we may return and they say ''what about the weather '' and wont you miss the laid back lifestyle and everything else we have here .
I cant help but think well i cant wait to get away from the never ending sunny days here in aussie and the burning sun on my back on the costruction sites on a 40 degree day .
I cant wait to get away from the watching the grass grow lifestyle ,i want action and fast moving pace of life with heaps of interesting places to go close to hand .
In regards to everything else here [aussie ] even the aussies struggle to come up wiith anything more exciting than the beach and the barbie ,unless you want a good punch up in northbridge [perth] thatll soon wake you up out of the slumbering lifestyle perth seems to offer but only as long as the sore head and black eye lasts .
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

my fiends have emigrtaed to new zealand.and i am so jealous of their adventure...they went to australia for the whole of december as they were unhappy initially in N.Z..because the wind was about 70 miles an hour coming acrosss the cook straits. The arrived in aus in 40 degrees stayed in houses with no aircon adn did the whole gold coast tour ..beach and barbies for the christmas period..
their 11 year old was terrified the whole time regarding the wild life that may or may not have got into their beds, shoes etc..
they did enjoy the coral reefs, swimming with dolphins and the koala bears..
they stayed with a friend before their return to N.Z in melbourne. they were shocked at the traffic and the time it took to get from one place to another..They told me that melbourne was like london...

i was so shocked..my idea of aus was the wide open spaces, sheep farms, little villages and small towns...but openess ..

so for someone who has never been i dont blame people if they return to england as i am sure i would as the reality is definately not the dream...

they do say walk in my shoes for a mile then you can make a comment
on my life

good luck to all the returnees..I do hope you find the life you want in a country you know...

carole
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hi

How do you handle people at home saying to you that you must be mad / out of your mind / bonkers to be moving back?

I know we'll get a lot of it when we actually move back to the Uk soon in person too!

I think people's perceptions of the UK comes from the mainstream press and the TV. The only way the latter get their money is from printing and airing doom and gloom. If people absorbed less of their 'crap' and looked around them they may realise things are not as bad as they have been led to believe.

Why is it that whenever the EU admits new members, the first country the new immigrants run to is Britain, you dont see the same rush to France, Germany, etc (maybe that's part of the problem, but that's another story!! )
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:49 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole
....in melbourne. they were shocked at the traffic and the time it took to get from one place to another..They told me that melbourne was like london...

i was so shocked..my idea of aus was the wide open spaces, sheep farms, little villages and small towns...but openess ..

Your friend is right Carole - we lived in a Melbourne suburb and just couldn't believe how built up it was - so many people had sold their back yards for house building and everywhere was so crammed in. It took an hours drive to see any green fields

On my return home I openly wept when I saw the beautiful British greenery. I now live in a village surrounded by fields and appreciate it so much more
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:41 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybee
I think people's perceptions of the UK comes from the mainstream press and the TV. The only way the latter get their money is from printing and airing doom and gloom. If people absorbed less of their 'crap' and looked around them they may realise things are not as bad as they have been led to believe.

Why is it that whenever the EU admits new members, the first country the new immigrants run to is Britain, you dont see the same rush to France, Germany, etc (maybe that's part of the problem, but that's another story!! )

Do you think maybe it has something to do with the benefits/handouts and housing provided - that is a big concern to British tax payers
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
[/COLOR]

Do you think maybe it has something to do with the benefits/handouts and housing provided - that is a big concern to British tax payers
Spain has more migrants from Eastern Europe than the UK does.

Germany also has a huge number including many from Turkey and others as a result of their colonial past.

EU citizens can get benefits in any EU country.....including brits in Spain......providing they are also working.

Housing is rarely provided other than to genuine asylum seekers.....don't believe everything you read.

G

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 18th 2008 at 2:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.