YIKES!

Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default Re: YIKES!

Ah, but remember, the Canadian TIRE thing is that they are trying to be accommodating of the french Canadian population who call them "tires" with an i....

Oh how I won't miss that! (the french-english thing!)
Old Jul 18th 2014, 9:15 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Ah, but remember, the Canadian TIRE thing is that they are trying to be accommodating of the french Canadian population who call them "tires" with an i....

Nonsense. It's nothing to do with accommodating anyone. Tire is spelled tire everywhere in North America !
If you write Tyre in North America folks would assume that you were referring to an historic place in Lebanon !
Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:43 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

For what it is worth, my perception is that it is not having a foreign accent, but which foreign accent that matters. I wouldn't expect any difficulty for someone with a white Commonwealth or American accent.

Having said that, my friends in Britain include Eastern Europeans, French and Germans, but none reports any day to day difficulties. I've not seen the TV programmes, but the prejudices of someone living on a council estate in Salford are not necessarily those of the majority of the population.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Good to hear!!! Thanks! *wobble over - return to regularly scheduled stress...*
Old Jul 19th 2014, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
For what it is worth, my perception is that it is not having a foreign accent, but which foreign accent that matters. I wouldn't expect any difficulty for someone with a white Commonwealth or American accent.
Yep, I would agree with that. May find a bit of light hearted banter, but nothing more than that.

Having said that, my friends in Britain include Eastern Europeans, French and Germans, but none reports any day to day difficulties. I've not seen the TV programmes, but the prejudices of someone living on a council estate in Salford are not necessarily those of the majority of the population.
Don't stereotype................... it leads to prejudices.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 6:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

True.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's exactly IT isn't it. How can anybody really profess to know the ins and outs of racism and prejudice against immigrants (real and imagined) in the UK unless they've 'been there' on the receiving end - many non-whites, particularly blacks, who were actually born in the UK have lived their lives daily in the teeth of this issue, being perceived as undesirables and on benefits and scroungers and therefore worthy of abuse simply due to their skin colour, including having this attitude shown towards them by the police. Ask them!

If you are white, what could be the problem, no matter what your accent is?

Admittedly a recent (May 2014) re-survey (British Social Attitudes) has revealed that something in the region of 34-35% of Brits now freely admit to being racially prejudiced, which is fairly consistent with similar surveys for the longest while but what does that really mean in daily life in terms of how it manifests itself for what seems like a high percentage, which went down in the 90s and has now gone back up?

A lot will depend upon where one chooses to settle. London will be one thing but the West Country something entirely different - much tougher for some minorities, particularly where there is economic deprivation, which could make the natives pretty hostile to just about anything, but even if not.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 19th 2014 at 9:29 am.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh me neither... To live somewhere where both languages are treated equally, or even better where there is only one language.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gozit
Oh me neither... To live somewhere where both languages are treated equally, or even better where there is only one language.
I would like to point out (before I get seen as anti-french), I speak both french and english fluently, grew up in Montreal, and have no issue whatsoever with most french people... the politics and "poor us" mentality that the separatists have, though, annoys the socks off me. They have it good... if they'd only count their rainbows instead of their thunderstorms. But yes, it will be nice to live in a place where I don't have to be ashamed of being english!!!

Old Jul 21st 2014, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived and worked in my current place in the UK for over 20years and I still have people tell me they wish 'immigrants' like me would stop taking all the jobs and housing from the locals. There are idiots wherever you live but, hopefully, you can find somewhere to live where they are the minority.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I've lived and worked in my current place in the UK for over 20years and I still have people tell me they wish 'immigrants' like me would stop taking all the jobs and housing from the locals. There are idiots wherever you live but, hopefully, you can find somewhere to live where they are the minority.
Yikes! Me too!!! Yes, though... there are idiots wherever you live. We have some idiots down the street from us who won't let their children play with our children (no big loss, I feel kind of the same after an encounter where the husband screamed at my young son because he had invited their girls to vacation bible camp a few summer ago... oh brother. He was only 9 and trying to be NICE to invite his friends to something he was enjoying... but *shrug* whatever.)

People are strange. Sometimes I'm stranger than most. LOL!
I hope life treats you well, and GOOD ON YOU for being a VALUABLE PART OF YOUR COMMUNITY!!! *Rolling eyes at the naysayers!*

Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I expect to hear some similar comments when I return. To Americans, I sound British but to the British, I sound American. Truly, though, with people migrating all over the world and evidence of a global economy, it is only going to be the ignorant ones who make such statements, so just ignore it. "Idiots" is quite right - and they are everywhere.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have an idea... let's park all the idiots on one obscure island in the pacific somewhere and the rest of the world can live in peace! Sound good? I agree about the global economy. Maybe I have a different perspective being born-n-bred Canadian, we are a multicultural society, I'm used to seeing people of all nationalities everywhere... and you know what? It makes life RICHER, not poorer! I mean, I can go to chinatown and get a glimpse of something that three or four generations ago was only "stories"... nope, I can see it, I can taste their authentic foods, I can enjoy the colours of their clothes, I can be fascinated by their language. Recently I was listening to a couple of men speaking in a store, and I got up my courage to ask them what language they were speaking, it was Punjabi... it was SO pretty to listen to! Honestly, even not knowing what they were saying, it is so rhythmic and soothing... I just love having been born in a time where we can travel the world, and the world can travel to us. I hope to be a very successful "immigrant taking their jobs and housing" - and welcoming other contributing members who are also entering the UK. Really. That show scared me for a bit, but now I'm more determined to make it work.
Blessings and cheers to multiculturalism!

Last edited by pondhopper2014; Jul 25th 2014 at 1:18 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an idea... let's park all the idiots on one obscure island in the pacific somewhere and the rest of the world can live in peace! Sound good? I agree about the global economy. Maybe I have a different perspective being born-n-bred Canadian, we are a multicultural society, I'm used to seeing people of all nationalities everywhere... and you know what? It makes life RICHER, not poorer! I mean, I can go to chinatown and get a glimpse of something that three or four generations ago was only "stories"... nope, I can see it, I can taste their authentic foods, I can enjoy the colours of their clothes, I can be fascinated by their language. Recently I was listening to a couple of men speaking in a store, and I got up my courage to ask them what language they were speaking, it was Punjabi... it was SO pretty to listen to! Honestly, even not knowing what they were saying, it is so rhythmic and soothing... I just love having been born in a time where we can travel the world, and the world can travel to us. I hope to be a very successful "immigrant taking their jobs and housing" - and welcoming other contributing members who are also entering the UK. Really. That show scared me for a bit, but now I'm more determined to make it work.
Blessings and cheers to multiculturalism!
It doesn't matter which political poll you look at in the UK these days, immigration comes either top in terms of political priority (meaning there is and has been too much) or near top. I don't think it is a matter of there being a few idiots but a general sentiment that immigration has got out of control one way or another, hence the now real possibility that the UK will leave the EU if they get to vote on it because the average man in the street can't see the economic benefits from membership. Those that don't care are often well to do and living in London who see ethnic groups adding a little 'spice' (Sorry!) to their comfortable lives which are in no general way impacted by migration other than in supporting their property prices.

Indeed the UK is SUPPOSED to be a multicultural society but many feel that it is a failed one and this is a reason for the upshoot in levels of extremism within certain groups who feel their 'voice' has equal weight to be heard in spite of their outlandish views.

Having been away from the UK for almost 40 years I am bracing myself for the changes that have quite clearly taken place - hopefully they are not too difficult to actually live with rather than only be over there as a visitor from time to time.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 25th 2014 at 1:47 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong - how are your plans coming along to return to the UK? Hope all is well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.